SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

thoughts on my maintenance plan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 08:23 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thoughts on my maintenance plan?

Hi guys. I haven't had anything too major done on my SC in terms of service. But wanted to go in and get it serviced. I checked the Lexus site and it seems most stuff is just "inspecting" and not actually replacing. What do you think I should do? Any recommendations appreciated.

2004 SC. 31k miles.

Replace:

air filter
ac filter
brake fluid

Should I replace the:
trans fluid
engine coolant
differential oil
spark plugs

And what about the timing belt?
Old 08-13-12, 09:27 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would agree with the brake fluid, assuming that you are on a regular schedule for oil changes and filter. As for the air filters, I would pull them and inspect (and sniff the cabin air or 'AC' filter as well).

I wouldn't change any other fluids or spark plugs unless you think that the car has been driven hard under extreme conditions. The coolant should be tested for low temp protection and overall clarity - if it tests good and looks good, I wouldn't worry about it.

The timing belt will be subject to the age vs mileage opinions, and your peace of mind. I changed mine ('02 with 90K miles - Texas miles mostly) this past winter, and found it to be in very nice shape, along with smooth, tight bearings on the tensioners/idlers, etc. So if it were me I wouldn't lie awake at night if I decided to put another year on it, especially if driving habits tended to the sane side. If you are hearing any squeaking that reflect bearings on the tensioners/idlers/water pump, then I'd jump in and do it. New serpentine belt would be first, however, since it is cheap and easy and sometimes is the squeaker.
Old 08-14-12, 05:06 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Thanks for the response kjcole!

Yes, very regular on oil and filter swap.

Filters, inspect. Check. I will search the forum on instructions.

The car hasn't been driven hard at all. Its just a cruiser for me. Other fluids are good for how long then?

Even the dealer said I don't need plugs! So you know that they are good for a while. lol.

Yeah, the timing belt is what has me most worried. I am in a spot where I don't know what I am looking at in terms of wear.. and I was told that a failure could be catastrophic? So I am thinking I should just do it since it is an 04. Dealer quoted me $700. Tough pill to swallow.

I think I did the serpentine belt myself... lol. As you can see, not very mechanically inclined. The "gator belt", is what I did. Followed the forums DIY. Real easy.
Old 08-14-12, 06:35 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Had my 02 (car born in April 01) timing belt changed at 56.5k in Feb 2011 so the car was effectively 10 years old. Belt showed very minor wear and was called in "good" shape by the Lexus Master mechanic.
With that said, ours is an interference engine so a belt failure could be, as you were told, catastrophic. And with that said, an 04 and 31k you have at least a year to deal with this and that's being on the really overly safe side IMO. So here's the plan...just skip one Starbucks a day for the next few months and it's paid for. You'll consume less caffeine, your motor will appreciate the nice new belt and reward you with more years of reliable SC drives. Best of all, you'll have peace of mine on this issue.
Old 08-14-12, 06:59 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Awesome. Thanks VVTiBob. I prefer when you guys flat out tell me whats best. haha! I will get it done pronto.

Question, is the timing belt a difficult operation that only a Lexus tech can handle?

Also, the rest of the stuff... do it or wait?
Old 08-14-12, 10:16 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of us 'shade tree' mechanics have done the timing belt/water pump change ourselves. Plenty of internet help here and elsewhere (Toyota uses this basic V8 in some of their trucks). I found great prices on OEM parts on-line. With that said (and given the potential to do damage if the timing isn't dead-on), I wouldn't give the job to a novice mechanic. There is a fair amount of disassembly required to the front of the engine, with the usual instances of knuckle-scraping, odd-postured wrench turning.. I bought a few specialized tools (e.g., to pull the harmonic damper from the crank) that helped immensely. Bottom-line, any tech who has done a few timing belt changes on overhead cam engines shouldn't be intimidated, especially since this is a longitudinal mount engine with rear-wheel drive (meaning easy access, especially if you pop the radiator out).
Old 08-15-12, 06:41 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kjcole
Many of us 'shade tree' mechanics have done the timing belt/water pump change ourselves. Plenty of internet help here and elsewhere (Toyota uses this basic V8 in some of their trucks). I found great prices on OEM parts on-line. With that said (and given the potential to do damage if the timing isn't dead-on), I wouldn't give the job to a novice mechanic. There is a fair amount of disassembly required to the front of the engine, with the usual instances of knuckle-scraping, odd-postured wrench turning.. I bought a few specialized tools (e.g., to pull the harmonic damper from the crank) that helped immensely. Bottom-line, any tech who has done a few timing belt changes on overhead cam engines shouldn't be intimidated, especially since this is a longitudinal mount engine with rear-wheel drive (meaning easy access, especially if you pop the radiator out).
Thanks kjcole! When you said "given the potential to do damage if the timing isn't dead-on" that told me all I needed to know. lol. I definitely have a pro handle it. I know a tech that works predominantly on German cars, BMW and Mercedes. I hope he can do it!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-16-12, 12:27 PM
bandcamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VVTiBob - I'm due for a timing belt change and am also in SD. If you don't mind sharing, what dealer did the work for you and how much did it cost?