SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DIY Intake Question...

Old 05-10-12, 07:45 PM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Intake Question...

Is it possible to do this on our SC 430?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5579005-post8.html

I think it will work better then having a Injen or Weapon R intake...
Old 05-10-12, 08:56 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on running a filter like that you'll need a proper head shield, the heat shield in that pic is crap. The idea is to block all the hot air from the engine bay, if you can block all the hot air and introduce fresh cold air from the outside to the filter element then you will be good.

I would suggest you go over the the sc300/400 section and research a mod called "BFI intake", in my opinion it works very well and that's what I have on my SC
Old 05-11-12, 09:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have the Injen intake. If you want cold air intake, take the intake to the wheel well.

Providing a partition might (my opinion) starve the intake.
Old 05-11-12, 11:04 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Edmond

I have the Injen and it is great. Makes a fabulous sound and when you remove the air scoop for the original intake it leaves a gap where plenty of cold air is driven into the engine bay when on the move. Can't say I have noticed any improvement in performance, but neither any problem with hot air.
Don't know the technical reasons why heat would be a problem, but would have thought the amount of cold air entering when on the move would counteract the heat.
Maybe someone could chime in and give the tech reasons about the heat.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails DIY Intake Question...-dsc_2008a.jpg  
Old 05-11-12, 01:13 PM
paige
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely has to do with density.

1 liter of hot air will have less molecules per unit volume than the same volume with cooler air. Similar to inter cooler on turbos. At least that's what I remember from physics. However I don't think the difference is that much at daily stop and go. Best benefit would be at highway velocity.

rich
Old 05-11-12, 02:26 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by paige
Most likely has to do with density.

1 liter of hot air will have less molecules per unit volume than the same volume with cooler air. Similar to inter cooler on turbos. At least that's what I remember from physics. However I don't think the difference is that much at daily stop and go. Best benefit would be at highway velocity.

rich
Thanks Rich

So do you think that at motorway speeds the amount of cold air entering the engine compartment though the gap between the hood and the radiator left when the original air scoop is removed would cool the air entering the Injen so that it makes little difference?
Maybe it would be possible to make a new or adapt the existing scoop to direct air directly to the filter???
Anyone have any views on this?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-11-12, 04:33 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Hence the term cold air intake. If we are talking about normal rides, do not think it will make a huge impact on gain on hp. The pleasure comes from the sound...right? At least for me it is the thing that makes me smile.
Old 05-11-12, 08:19 PM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I should just leave the intake alone...

The problem with the Injen intake is the metal pipe, heat gets in it... dyno score is lower than stock intake, but it sounds nice...
Old 05-11-12, 11:58 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hence the term cold air intake. If we are talking about normal rides, do not think it will make a huge impact on gain on hp. The pleasure comes from the sound...right? At least for me it is the thing that makes me smile.
Without a doubt Mandy, it's the sound that does it for me.
Add that to the fabulous exhaust note that mine makes and I am in heaven, who needs a stereo lol.
Old 05-13-12, 05:11 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Without a doubt Mandy, it's the sound that does it for me.
Add that to the fabulous exhaust note that mine makes and I am in heaven, who needs a stereo lol.
Don't care about no stinkin' dyno!!!! It's the sound that trips my trigger. It sounds like I'm goin' faster and as long as I think it, it's so. At least in my mine. lol I'm flyin'!!!! Scares ole' ladies and little kids! lol
Old 05-13-12, 06:52 PM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

LOL

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Don't care about no stinkin' dyno!!!! It's the sound that trips my trigger. It sounds like I'm goin' faster and as long as I think it, it's so. At least in my mine. lol I'm flyin'!!!! Scares ole' ladies and little kids! lol
Old 05-16-12, 08:00 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys so you all sold me on the ingen intake...i went on ebay to see if i could pick one up and they are all up to 2003 MY, I was under the assumption that the intake would be the same from 02-10...can anyone confirm? Also is about 190 shipped the standard on the Ingen?
Old 05-17-12, 12:28 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by robertrios
hey guys so you all sold me on the ingen intake...i went on ebay to see if i could pick one up and they are all up to 2003 MY, I was under the assumption that the intake would be the same from 02-10...can anyone confirm? Also is about 190 shipped the standard on the Ingen?
Hi Robert

As far as I am aware the Injen will fit all models, Some do not require both hoses to be connected and you just blank one off.
Can't help with price because I had mine shipped from your side of the pond, but it seems about right. I will check who I got mine from and PM you.

Best regards
Steve
Old 05-22-12, 02:05 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
If you plan on running a filter like that you'll need a proper head shield, the heat shield in that pic is crap. The idea is to block all the hot air from the engine bay, if you can block all the hot air and introduce fresh cold air from the outside to the filter element then you will be good.

I would suggest you go over the the sc300/400 section and research a mod called "BFI intake", in my opinion it works very well and that's what I have on my SC

Hey man, care to share some info an pics on your BFI Setup? I really want to do this on mine

Thanks,
Moe
Old 06-20-18, 08:07 AM
GS430GAMA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@edmondt
How did you make that intake? Was the sound any different? It looks like you took the piece off a gs300 cut it and attached the cone filter?
Im interested in doing this as my budgets pretty low at the moment lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Intake Question...