04 SC430 Armrest Console Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 11:32 PM
JTXLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 SC430 Armrest Console Replacement

Hi guys,

Long story short, I lost my keys, had to get an auto locksmith out to open up my car to get to my valet key. Unfortunately the valet key was in the center console (under the leather armrest and locking plastic tray). Figuring replacing the tray and lock would be less expensive than a tow truck from where I was located, I had the guy drill out the lock so that I could get to my valet key.

Well when I got to my local Lexus dealership, not only did they want 350 for a new key and reprogramming, but they said that they cannot replace just the middle tray with the lock, but rather have to replace the entire console assembly to the tune of 750!! After inspecting the tray and console assembly more closely, it is obvious that it can be easily replaced.

My question is, all the searching I have done refers to the center console as the area around the cup holders and shifter. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement tray, or know the part number I am speaking of? I found a site that has plenty of parts, one of which I am pretty sure might be the upper tray assembly, but there are no pictures or diagrams to confirm.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

J
Old 04-11-12, 02:39 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Check this out console diagram and see if it helps to ID the part.

Did you loose all of your master keys? If so, then the $350 was relatively cheap. Losing all of the masters means they have to replace the key ECU too.
Old 04-11-12, 05:29 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

$350 seems a lot for a new key (unless you lost all your master keys, that is). I paid around $150 with programming at a Lexus dealer for this item to be done. Try to bargain with them, sometimes it works.
Old 04-11-12, 02:53 PM
JTXLex
Driver School Candidate

I checked out the diagram last night, and there seems to be a part missing, unless it really only does come with the top portion. I know I would need part 58971 (the console lock) 58908A (Lock sub assembly) 58818A (cover console box). I don't see the lower tray portion.

I wonder if the only way to get that tray is to get the 58920A (Armrest Assembly) with lock and everything. Does anyone know the part I am talking about? The plastic tray that the lock is attached to?

And yes, I had one master key which was lost, and then I had the valet key in the console under the armrest. Looking back at my receipt, they charged me 150 for the key, and 100 to program it, and the total after taxes was about 280.
Old 04-11-12, 08:48 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

check out your local junk yards
Old 04-12-12, 09:50 AM
JTXLex
Driver School Candidate

Junk yards were my next point of interest. I would much rather have a new piece obviously, but if it comes between used for 100-150 or new for 750.... The choice will be easy.

Does anyone else have any insight or info about the piece I have been mentioning?
Old 04-12-12, 03:01 PM
VVTiBob

OK so I am right in the middle of working on my new stereo install and in and around the center console so I decided to see for myself... You want the good news or bad?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-12-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 03:17 PM
VVTiBob

Lets start with the good:

It's not to difficult to get the tray out... Start by opening it up vertically then remove the SIX 3/32 inch screws on the hinge cover. You'll really need a jewelers screwdriver set or one used to tighten the screw on the temple piece on a pair eyeglasses. Anything larger will strip the screwhead.
Attached Thumbnails 04 SC430 Armrest Console Replacement-step-one.jpg  
Old 04-12-12, 03:26 PM
VVTiBob

Next there are three large screws holding the spring loaded hinge bracket to the plastic tray. Remove the screws. Then CAREFULLY slip the plastic screw posts past the bracket...It's going to take a little force, but who cares you're tossing this one out.
And voila the tray is out. But there is no part number stamped anywhere on the tray so far. Guess we need to get to the locking mechanism.....
Attached Thumbnails 04 SC430 Armrest Console Replacement-step-2.png  
Old 04-12-12, 03:35 PM
VVTiBob

Next, Turn the tray over with the latch side closest to you. Get a flat blade screw driver, or if you have one of the tools that won't damage the plastic use it...Never mind you're throwing this one away... well it will be a practice piece.
Press down on the latch as shown in the photo, insert the flat blade between the place and the phillips screw head and apply upward pressure. One side should pop out. Do the same on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails 04 SC430 Armrest Console Replacement-step-3.png  
Old 04-12-12, 03:49 PM
VVTiBob

This gets you the part number of the tray and access to the locking mechanism. ...Now the bad news..I googled the part number, 58951-24020 and could not find it ... and then went to my goto parts site and no luck there either and Sewell too but there was no joy. I was searching on a 2002 year model. My goto site is censored here at club lexus.

If you're lucky maybe a Lexus parts manager can special order it. Or maybe it part of the armrest assembly and not something that can be ordered separately. Only a diligent PARTS guy/gal will be able to tell. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails 04 SC430 Armrest Console Replacement-step-5.png  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-12-12 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 03:57 PM
VVTiBob

Maybe there is some good news here, unless the locksmith really torn up the tray, you should only need a new lock, not the rest of the latching components or even a new tray. How'd he do?
The final issue would be, how does it get keyed alike for your existing key? Not sure on that one and I AM NOT taking the lock apart...this is as far as I go.
And as usual, was a little more effort getting it all back together and re-installed but it's all back to the way it was.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-12-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 11:45 PM
JTXLex
Driver School Candidate

Wow VVTiBob, thank you very much for the detailed info. Unfortunately the tray did get a little tore up from the whole process, which is why I will need to get a new one. When they order the new lock, it costs 50 dollars for them to key it to your Master key, so the only real issue is finding the tray itself.

I will call the Lexus dealership tomorrow and speak to a parts manager and see if he can special order it now that I have the number! Thank you SO MUCH!!! Worst case scenario, I should be able to source one from a junkyard somewhere, but either way it will be worth not having to pay 750 bones!
Old 04-13-12, 03:39 AM
VVTiBob

You're welcome! This will be quite a lesson, hopefully learned.
My only request is that you tell us how it all works out in the end no matter what the outcome. By sharing our knowlwdge and experiences we all learn, and that helps all of us.
Many of the members here in the SC430 Forum freely offer help to others, like you, who are in need. Sadly, in some cases we never to know the outcome of our efforts.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on this part. Good luck with your repair.
Old 04-13-12, 07:47 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Consol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-2006-Lexu...item19bf4125c5

Here is a link for a used entire consol for $400.00

Quick Reply: 04 SC430 Armrest Console Replacement