SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New 2006 SC430 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 07:10 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 2006 SC430 owner

After debating between an M5, M6, SL55, SL600 and an LS460 I decided reliability and peace of mind was my #1 priority

1 Reliability
2 Convertible
3 Looks
4 Performance

In the end I only had to over look one item on the SC430 (the bubble Physique) so now I'm desperate to neutralize it. I'm leaning towards a behrman kit with a roof spoiler for the body but would love a simpler fix.

If anyone can think of a kit that is simpler and detracts from the bubble I would look forward to hearing your opinion. I would love to eliminate the bubble without cluttering the car with heavy looking aftermarket pieces hanging off.

TIA for your advice

Exactly my car except I have tan interior

Last edited by braheem; 01-08-12 at 07:42 AM. Reason: pic
Old 01-08-12, 09:56 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The aimgain kit would change your life lol vertex will get rid of that bubble look. But it also makes your car "two inches lower" which in turn will make you wanna buy bigger rims to fill in that wheel gap to compliment the kit
Old 01-08-12, 10:53 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

I dont mind upgrading to 20s and getting coilovers, I just think both those kits are too bottom heavy, The Aimgain front end looks like the foglights are in competition with the headlights, instead of complimentary they're trying to take over. The vertex looks like you've bolted something onto your car just to have something there.

My GS400 had a bubble front end that was easily fixed with a simple TTE lip and the back end was fixed with 3.5" exhaust tips that filled out the holes and complemented the car instead of taking over. I'm not having much luck in the SC430 front end, I think oval exhaust tips on the back end would really help along with some 285 tires and a more aggressive stance.

The front end is still too feminine, does anyone manufacture a complete bumper cover instead of a screw on ground effects?

PS, sorry about your car.
Old 01-08-12, 12:12 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you add 20" wheels, a kit won't look so bottom heavy. You might look into the Job Design kit. This one is on air suspension. Coilovers won't sit nearly as low.

Old 01-08-12, 12:41 PM
Glock3540
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by braheem
After debating between an M5, M6, SL55, SL600 and an LS460 I decided reliability and peace of mind was my #1 priority

1 Reliability
2 Convertible
3 Looks
4 Performance

In the end I only had to over look one item on the SC430 (the bubble Physique) so now I'm desperate to neutralize it. I'm leaning towards a behrman kit with a roof spoiler for the body but would love a simpler fix.

If anyone can think of a kit that is simpler and detracts from the bubble I would look forward to hearing your opinion. I would love to eliminate the bubble without cluttering the car with heavy looking aftermarket pieces hanging off.

TIA for your advice

Exactly my car except I have tan interior
Man, You were in the exact same boat I'm in!
Test drove the SC430 and was impressed with the performance (quick but not super fast) but could not get over the possible "chick car" status of this car ( around here I see 1 guy driving for every 3 females driving a SC430).

I looked at the SL500 then the SL55, then the SL600. All had their attributes and negatives.
The most worrisome negative is the ASTRONOMICAL repair costs if you get a "bad one" and have multiple problems. It did have the best driving position and just made you smile when you are in one. They are pretty common but still very nice. The SL600 is a beast. A true wolf in sheeps clothing. In 2004 Car and Driver got a 3.6 sec 0-60 out of one! That is super fast even today. The SL55 and the XLR-V are similar to each other in performance with the edge to the
SL55.

Also test drove a XLR-V. Very fast but almost zero storage/luggage space in the interior and trunk (especially with the top down). Had a fidgety ride too. Excellent exhaust note although the SL55 has the best exhaust note of any car I've heard in decades.

The 2007+ XKR's are usually regarded as the most attractive. They are a work of art. Very Quick too! Some parts of the dash look cheap (the shroud around the NAV unit looks like a child designed it and cost .50 to make). Also the XKR is very expensive to repair if something goes wrong (the cars I usually consider are just outside the realm of factory or aftermarket warranties. I also keep my vehicles for many,many years so I need reliability).

That brings me back to the Lexus. The 4.3 is one of the best engines ever made in my humble opinion. Not huge HP but quick enough and reliable enough for hundreds of thousands of miles. Run flats must be ditched asap! Cassette deck is embarrassing but is possible to change out with new aftermarket units (although kind of pricey). The stock wheels are some of the worst looking Lexus wheels ever. Need aftermarket or other Lexus wheels as replacements. I'm older now (almost 50) so not very interested in lowering and rougher riding taller rims as well as the reduced performance they usually bring. I think muscle car type wheels would look good on the SC if you could find the correct offsets, etc. but keep the 18" diameter. One of the reasons I like the Lexus is the ride quality (again without the runflats) so do not want to compromise in that area.
That brings us to the looks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In fact, most women prefer the looks of the SC over the SL and sometimes over the XKR. Side by side, I think the SL is the most "muscular" looking, the XKR is the sexiest and the SC is the softest or the most rounded in shape. Not sure how to describe it. I really do not want to add on a bunch of panels, gound effects or spoilers etc., but wish there was Something I could do to make it a little more like the SL.... I know this may be impossible, but I really like the SC. I think the peace of mind that you could jump in it and take a 1000 mile trip and not worry about it breaking down is priceless. I just wish there was something we can do cosmetically that would put a little pizzazz into it.... I mean to offend no one here and am not trying to disrespect anyone in any way. Just stating my own personal opinions.

Hope you enjoy your SC. The black looks great!

Blessings, Brian

P.S. I know it is not a convertible but the LS460 I test drove was quicker than the SC430,
but it is kind of understated in it's looks also.
Old 01-08-12, 01:43 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

I like the front end on this SC and like almost everything else about the setup except the line bisecting the bumper, I know molding is an option but I would prefer if there was a kit without the heavy line, anything exist?

Last edited by braheem; 01-08-12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 08:23 AM
Yes

Any lip is going to have a seam. That's the nature of the beast. Your only other option is a full bumper. Off the top of my head, your options are Job Design, Aimgain and Auto Couture. Tom's used to make a kit, but I don't think they still do (could be wrong). There's also the Artisan kit, but if you don't like the fog lights on the Aimgain, I doubt you'd like it.

You can search through this thread to get a better idea what's out there.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...like-best.html
Old 01-15-12, 08:27 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Thank you for the link, it was perfect. I'm looking into getting a Tom's front bumper.

I have to say, this car is becoming addictive. I'm looking for reasons to leave the house.

If I can tune the suspension and get the throttle to react a little better I might have to move into the car.
Old 01-15-12, 10:50 PM
Yes

No problem. One thing to keep in mind is the Tom's front bumper will be lower to the ground than your stock bumper. It may not look right without the full kit including the rear bumper and side skirts.

Coilovers should take care of the suspension for you. And a Blitz throttle control will make your throttle more sensitive if that's what you're looking for.
Old 01-15-12, 11:30 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

You will have to retain the throttle's ECU. The previous owner may not have driven the car as aggressively as you want to do.. Using the advanced search feature will point you to threads covering the topic.
Old 01-16-12, 10:02 AM
BimmerGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Artisan Spirits...
http://www.artisanspirits.co.jp/car-...ars/index.html