SC430 Group 48 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 08:55 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rclab1
great write up Mandy.

whats the best battery I can get for less then $150?

I dont have Costco around here, but I do have
AutoZone and all the typical National Car parts store,
NAPA,
PepBoys,
Walmart,........

I can even order online if necessary, but I don't know where to begin.
thanks all.
Another alternative is areally decent maintenance free battery that fits our cars and is found at Advance Auto Parts and is called Auto Craft Gold. It is a group 48 battery and runs around $125.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPBATTAM2_____
Old 12-08-11, 09:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Advance Auto had a 20% off battery sale last week. Would have been a good deal.
Old 12-08-11, 09:59 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advance Auto Parts and is called Auto Craft Gold. It is a group 48 battery and runs around $125.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPBATTAM2_____

Is that Group 48 battery from AdvanceAutoParts "equal" or "rated higher" in terms of the specs compared to the OEM battery?

thank you for that Link Bon.
ie....higher cranking power?
Old 12-08-11, 03:33 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The OEM Lexus battery is 730 CCA and the Advance AutoCraft Gold is 770 CCA. This is according to the Advance Auto Parts web site. The web site is also showing $20 off when ordered on the Internet. You can then go to the store and pick it up and there isn't any waiting or shipping charge.
Old 12-09-11, 01:43 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Just bought a Yellow Top Optima 34/78 for $169 at Autozone, FYI if anyone else is in the market.

Threw the 7 month old Lexus OEM on the counter and collected my $12 core!

Learned my lesson. My Ebony takes a little too much juice for the Lexus OEM battery, evidently!

The RC (reserve capacity) is twice what the OEM Lexus battery is and a 20% jump in CCA and CA, as well as the deep cycle battery allows it to be recharged more if I am not able to drive it.

Still contemplating on a battery tender...have to plug in on the ceiling and have wires dangling...YUK!
Old 12-09-11, 10:04 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I went with the Duralast Gold from Autozone....8yr/96 month prorated,with 36 month free replacement.....paid $139.00 + tax....don't know if SCDrop remembered,but we both replaced batteries around the same time 02/2011 because of the hard freeze/winter....my 02' still had the original Lexus battery on it and my car has a birthday of 07/01
Old 01-11-16, 10:03 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who Really makes What for Who?

Fwiw:
Here is Interstate Battery Cross Reference Chart to locate groups /specs of other makers if interested.

http://www.interstatedealers.com/ibc...comp_x_ref.pdf

But I just wanted to post this 4 you:
Here is who really makes what for who? It changes so make sure to check out who makes what before buying another you know what before hand...lol

http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

My Gossip, "Not Gospel":
I will be going with an Exide battery (from Rural King) when needed. I've bought them for several cars and sent many freinds there to get them over the yrs and we all have had fantastic luck for the little money spent on one. Most were still in the cars when sold so they do last along time and only cost between $49-$69 depending on sale & group. Used to cost just $39-$49 not long ago.
I just always buy the highest CCA that fits its place regardless what rating a car came with as I know as a battery ages the less you'll have left in them to start a car.

Many people don't know that whether its a 48mo, 60mo or 72mo ect.. battery in most cases its the exact same battery. Your only paying more for the warranty & not getting a better battery.
That said, "some" 84 month batteries now will have slightly more CCA stated than its lesser month warranted batteries in the same group but then again you'll pay much more for those too. I think this higher CCA change on them happened when Optima came along with yellow/red top series as they all used to be the same battery regardless of warranty /mo term??

Anyway' I've never paid much attention to the warranty as I've never needed to use it but one time. 30yrs ago on a DieHard in my 55 Chevy. The installer at Sears (free install) cracked the top of a terminal post & it was a big fight to get the battery replaced the "next"day" as the posts were not covered. lol..
I've installed every one of my batteries since then needless to say.
IMO:
Lack of battery maintenance (#1 runs dry), alternator/regulator or connection related issues kill them early in most cases and as I do my own maintenance so I know its really been done I just don't pay extra for it. Also battery technology is better today but routine battery maintenance like post cleaning & checking the battery water level adds yrs to one.
Most cases if people will just check their bad batteries water level they'll find its below level, because most repair shops never, ever checked it for them. I've seen it time & time again.

Exide Group/Spec Chart:
http://www.batterysales.com/exide.cfm

" If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich."

Inaugural Address of President John F. Kennedy
Washington, D.C.
January 20, 1961

"Eat the Rich"
Aerosmith

Old 06-10-16, 07:31 PM
killerbyte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update SC430 battery sizes (and Costco)

It was time again to replace my battery in my Lexus SC430. This is now my fourth battery and so far this new Interstate appears to be the best one.

First thing I want to share with the group is the correct and my opinion, the only acceptable size for the SC430. It is Group 48 H6. I have tried various other sizes which some other sources on the Internet says will work but it does not. For example I have tried:

Group 24F -- It was too tall when I put in my car. It could have fit but the clearance from the hood was so small that my concerns about corrosion of the hood stopped me, even though the battery was bigger and less expensive

Group 34 -- The size was perfect though the starter line was just too short for it to reach the post. It was not worth rewiring/extending unless you managed to buy the battery at a substantial discount. The amendment would have probably given me trouble over the long run.

Also, I bought my latest battery at Costco, who now sells Interstate as of today. The previous one was also from Costco too though it was their own KS brand which was shorter height wise than this new Interstate one which is nearly a perfect fit. My battery cover fits well though there is a slight gap down one of the sides. The old KS only lasted a little over 2 years but it did get hard use on it and thanks to Costco I managed to get a full refund for it. Still, I felt that the KS battery should have lasted longer than that even though it was 35 dollars cheaper. The one before the KS was one that I picked up at AutoZone and that lasted around 3 years. I do not recommend that battery.

The Interstate was approximate 110 but with the 15 core charge and tax it was nearly 130 out the door. It has a 42 month replacement warranty and a prorated refund after then.

So far however, it has been the best performing battery I have had. The starter turns significantly stronger than my other batteries though I cannot recall how well the OEM one did which lasted me close to 6 years.

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I hope this note brings more certainty to your battery selection than what was written out there about this topic on the Internet.
Old 06-11-16, 07:01 AM
mandyfig

Group 48 H6 is the perfect fit for our SC's.

Surprised to see it being available at the local Costco store. Means there is demand here finally.

I highly recommend that you invest in a trickle charger. For those of you who do not use the Sc for a daily, it needs charging on a periodic basis.

I put them on trickle charge every 1.5 weeks. Keeps it fresh.

Do not get me wrong, it starts up every time I use it, but when trickle charged, you can tell the difference in the start up. For every 2 weeks of non-use, it takes me 8 hours form start to the GREEN light that says, fully charged. It sends about 3 amps on trickle charge.
Old 06-11-16, 11:56 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Agree with Mandyfig -- there seems to be a huge parasitic draw in these cars, although it seems much, much worse for those with a Luxlink.
Old 06-11-16, 02:40 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I know the obd is always powered up on this car. Most cars shut off that power right soon after shutting the car off. That is probably the biggest drain.
Old 06-12-16, 07:39 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Agree with Mandyfig -- there seems to be a huge parasitic draw in these cars, although it seems much, much worse for those with a Luxlink.
...I wondered this myself, about the Luxlink being a possible culprit. I've read about members having issues with not starting after a week or so & this is an issue that I've never had (I don't have Luxlink). My car was a daily until 2 years ago,so that probably helped it from the "dead battery syndrome". Up until about a month ago,it would sit for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, but never an issue cranking. I just started cranking it once or twice a week, because it seemed noisier to me when it sat for awhile without starting it. I did some research (back when this thread originally started) and I can only come up with my Sc having 3 batteries. I know it had the original, I saw a replacement by searching my vin on the Lexus site (2007), then I replaced the battery in 2011
Old 06-13-16, 09:14 AM
mandyfig

I would not be opposed to installing a plug for auto charging (much like what they do in colder climates for battery starting).

But this would be a simple plug that connects to the battery and will trickle charge it.

This means I will have to modify my battery by adding a 2 wire plug to the outside of the car for which my battery charger will connect to. Obviously my battery charger will now have a similar connector that attaches to the plugs on the car.

All you have to do is plug and turn on the charger, turns green, you unplug.

No need to raise the hood.

In fact I will do the same for all my cars.
Old 06-14-16, 12:05 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

I went to Costco yesterday, looked up the group size for the Interstate battery and it was # 29, cost $113.
Old 06-14-16, 01:47 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Mostly group 48,
The bottom link is for the interstate battery. Costco appears to have incorrect data on this brand.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...v8-4.3l-625cca
http://www.atbatt.com/car-battery/lexus/sc430.asp
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...010&make=Lexus
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...=A~Part+Number

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-14-16 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: SC430 Group 48 Battery