SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

No nav?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 03:26 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I think that when the NAVs started to hit the market, there was no data for Hawaii. My data disc even now says "North America," and although it includes Canada, our neighbor to the north (with few roads), it does not include Hawaii. I presume that today the NAV data is available, but I'm not sure. Anyway, that situation made getting a NAV system in your Hawaii car pretty much of a useless luxury, and I suspect many of the early, non-NAV equipped SC430s went there (they sure didn't go to Alaska).
Old 06-27-11, 06:36 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have the window sticker that came with mine (I'm the 2nd owner of 3 yrs) and I thought that my 02 had the nav as standard equipment-WRONG!!!. According to my sticker (numbers match) the Nav wav $2000 (even), the rear spoiler was $440, the run flats were $400, the cargo net=$39, the trunk mat was $30, and wheel locks were $41. And while its not on the sticker, the chrome wheels with pie plates were a dealer-installed option. I don't know how much the wheels were. Shortly, after my purchase, I put on 20" Maya wheels and sold my chrome wheels which I had purchased non-lexus "twisties". The only regret I have with any of my dealings with this car was selling the original chrome wheels. I love the looks of the Mayas, but it was a dumb move on my part. I sold the chromes with pie plates, twisties, and tires (w/only 500 miles on them) for only $600-what a bonehead move that was!
Old 06-27-11, 07:39 PM
tfischer

Speaking of the NAV, I recall when I got my car I was discouraged that Lexus had made me buy a $2,000 toy that I would never use. I was so wrong. Soon I fell in love with the convenience of having a location sensitive map always handy, and one that knew its way home at that.
When I went to buy my next car and was shopping for a used RX ('04 or '05 model), I told the dealer that it had to have a NAV, and that this was a deal breaker. Now I have one in both of my cars and I get lost no more (. . . and it only cost me $4,000.00).
Old 06-28-11, 04:48 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish i could give mine as much praise as you, but the stock nav has gotten me lost on several occasions and has always taken me the longest, most complicated route. so i have to keep my garmin handy at all times and have the suction cup marks on my windshield to prove it lol The only good thing I can think of, is that I can use the nav screen to display something else using the navtool, since the gps is a waste
Old 06-28-11, 05:59 AM
tfischer

I can certainly understand that different systems could select different routes, but how can you get lost?
Even by a circuitous route, the home button gets you home.
Old 06-28-11, 07:16 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't work correctly. Gets off at the wrong exits, goes the wrong way on highways, it's horrible at best. I'm not 'lost' since I technically know where I am, it just can't navigate correctly.
Old 06-28-11, 07:47 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
It doesn't work correctly. Gets off at the wrong exits, goes the wrong way on highways, it's horrible at best. I'm not 'lost' since I technically know where I am, it just can't navigate correctly.
How old is your DVD? An updated map may correct that.
Old 06-28-11, 10:01 AM
tfischer

I've never had that problem, and I've been using mine for over 10 years.
Perhaps you have old data, (in 10 years, I have purchased two upgrades - my current one is about two years old) which could be a part of the problem, or your default settings are avoiding toll roads, etc. There is no reason you should be getting off at the "wrong" exit, although you must remember that the NAV system will often give the shortest route in distance, even though a slightly longer route would be faster due to traffic lights or traffic density, about which it knows nothing, of course. Most people know local short cuts around familiar territory that a NAV system will not use because it favors major, direct roads, even they are usually crowded, since they are major, direct roads. That does not make the NAV system wrong, it just means you are better informed.
I have used my NAV in many unfamiliar cities and, except for not being able to get a constant GPS SAT signal in midtown Chicago, have never had a problem such as the ones you describe, nor are such complaints very common on this forum.
Given the limitations of the 10 year old technology, I find the system works very well. It served me well on a 950 mile trip to Atlanta just last week.
Old 06-28-11, 08:08 PM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a black 04 with 54,000 with nav spoiler and spare. black on saddle interior pm me if your intrested
Old 06-29-11, 06:08 AM
tfischer

What's a "nav spoiler"?
Old 06-30-11, 06:27 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This car sold for $ 23,600 ! Had 33,000 miles, no navigation.
Old 11-03-11, 05:47 AM
DrawDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2002 doesn't have a nav system which is fine by me. I have a really nice Garmin that hides away in the lower center console when I don't need it... and sticks nicely to the wood trim where the nav normally is when I do. I had an LX470 with nav, and I liked the system well enough, but with the extremely low prices and great features available on the high end GPS units nowadays, I really don't miss it. Besides, I leave my radio door closed most of the time and having all that birdseye maple (just like on my Telecaster ) swathed across the dash is epic, IMO.
Old 11-03-11, 11:16 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

DrawDog,
What does your console look like without the NAV screen? Is it just the wood paneling?
Old 11-03-11, 12:00 PM
tfischer

An SC430 without the NAV is fairly rare. Technically the NAV was an option on the 2002 model when it went on sale in April of 2001, but well over 90% of them had the NAV. Soon thereafter (maybe on the 2003 models) it was made standard. Those without the NAV system have a solid piece of wood trim across the center of the dash, which looks pretty much like the dash of those with the NAV except for the absence of the two vertical breaks where God intended the door for the screen to be. The buttons are a little different, of course, but that's almost impossible to spot.
Old 11-03-11, 06:22 PM
mdfd430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '02 has the Nav and the rear spoiler w/ runflats. Most everyone who sees the Nav tucked in behind the moving wood trim thinks it's impressive. I couldn't imagine having one without it...Now the runflats is another story lol..

Quick Reply: No nav?