ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010-63/)
-   -   No nav? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/578288-no-nav.html)

tromly 06-27-11 01:31 AM

No nav?

Hey everyone, there's a 2002 SC for sale on eBay that does not have nav, did they ever make one the first year without it, thought it was standard? The car only has 33k and is mint, but looking at the dash it looks weird! :sad:

redliner8 06-27-11 04:40 AM

I'm looking at it on ebay right now. That is very different, I've never seen an SC like that. I thought they all came loaded with only the spoiler and runflats as an option. IMHO the nav on the SC is horrible and useless anyways, so I wouldn't mind not having it, I always bring my Garmin.

bacardi 06-27-11 05:41 AM

i alway thought nav was standard, never heard of no nav.

redliner8 06-27-11 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by bacardi (Post 6493037)
i alway thought nav was standard, never heard of no nav.

me too...here's the car. People bidding probably have no idea that most SCs have a nav lol : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...6513ce6d#v4-39

bacardi 06-27-11 05:58 AM

i checked it out, can't believe it. somethings wrong.

tfischer 06-27-11 06:15 AM

There is nothing wrong there. I bought an '02, which I still have, and am familiar with how that car was optioned. First, NAV was an option on the 2002 model (which went on sale in May 2001). Most of the cars were shipped with the NAV installed, and since the waiting list at the car's introduction was well over a year long (I was #12 on a list of over 150), everybody took what was available. Technically, the rear spoiler was also listed as an option, but was almost universal. The only other option was the spare tire kit. I believe the NAV was made standard on the 2003 and beyond, although I'm not sure when that move was made, but it makes sense as it's cheaper to make all cars the same rather than single out a few for a different configuration.
The lack of a NAV can be spotted by the lack of a NAV screen cover; in those cars the dash wood trim is a solid piece from left to right.
The slide-up-and hide-away door and the tilting screen are spectacular accessories, and the NAV system still performs flawlessly, even though newer systems have a few more features and higher resolution screens.

tromly 06-27-11 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=tfischer;6493077]There is nothing wrong there. I bought an '02, which I still have, and am familiar with how that car was optioned. First, NAV was an option on the 2002 model (which went on sale in May 2001). Most of the cars were shipped with the NAV installed, and since the waiting list at the car's introduction was well over a year long (I was #12 on a list of over 150), everybody took what was available. Technically, the rear spoiler was also listed as an option, but was almost universal. The only other option was the spare tire kit. I believe the NAV was made standard on the 2003 and beyond, although I'm not sure when that move was made, but it makes sense as it's cheaper to make all cars the same rather than single out a few for a different configuration.
The lack of a NAV can be spotted by the lack of a NAV screen cover; in those cars the dash wood trim is a solid piece from left to right.
The slide-up-and hide-away door and the tilting screen are spectacular accessories, and the NAV system still performs flawlessly, even though newer systems have a few more features and higher resolution screens.[/QUO

Thanks for the info, never knew about the wait time for a 2002, so this car would be rare? I figure it will go for $22k, only has 33,000 miles !:)

tromly 06-27-11 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bacardi (Post 6493053)
i checked it out, can't believe it. somethings wrong.

Looks weird but with everyone owning a GPS it should not hurt the sale, JMO.:)

bacardi 06-27-11 06:34 AM

thanks for the update i never new that, nice to know. makes sence. mystery solved.

tfischer 06-27-11 06:40 AM

Sure it's "rare," but not in a good way.

VVTiBob 06-27-11 07:39 AM

According to Toyota Reference.com, and as TFischer correctly pointed out, NAV was an option in the SC430's 2002 model year (code NV). Beginning with the 2003 model it was standard equipment, leaving only two optional items, spoiler (code RF) and run flat tires (code FL).
With total production run just under 26,000 units for the 2002 model year, it would be very interesting to learn how many were built without the navigation option.

tfischer 06-27-11 08:52 AM

Just as almost all came with the NAV, just about all of them also came with the Runflat tires, which was technically optional, although my recollection is that it was a no cost option, as the less expensive conventional tires came with the spare. (The "spoiler" was also almost universal, although I have seen photos of cars without one.)
The RF option turned out to be pretty expensive as a great many drivers, including me, did not replace them with runflats when they wore out, but went with a conventional tire for the tremendous improvement in both handling and ride comfort. (Run flat tires have very, very stiff sidewalls to support the wheel with no air, giving very little of an cushion.)
Eventually, for the road trip, I added a spare so as to not get stranded between urban areas. There is a whole "kit" available, although you can just buy the spare itself, add a vinyl cover from any parts place (designed for cars that mount the spare outside the back door like a Wrangler or RAV4), and you are ready to go. I mimicked another part of the "kit" by cutting plywood into the proper shape and gluing a carpet remnant on top, although this is optional.

tromly 06-27-11 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by tfischer (Post 6493368)
Just as almost all came with the NAV, just about all of them also came with the Runflat tires, which was technically optional, although my recollection is that it was a no cost option, as the less expensive conventional tires came with the spare. (The "spoiler" was also almost universal, although I have seen photos of cars without one.)
The RF option turned out to be pretty expensive as a great many drivers, including me, did not replace them with runflats when they wore out, but went with a conventional tire for the tremendous improvement in both handling and ride comfort. (Run flat tires have very, very stiff sidewalls to support the wheel with no air, giving very little of an cushion.)
Eventually, for the road trip, I added a spare so as to not get stranded between urban areas. There is a whole "kit" available, although you can just buy the spare itself, add a vinyl cover from any parts place (designed for cars that mount the spare outside the back door like a Wrangler or RAV4), and you are ready to go. I mimicked another part of the "kit" by cutting plywood into the proper shape and gluing a carpet remnant on top, although this is optional.

You are a font of knowledge! I never knew all this stuff about the 2002model year, thanks!:)

tfischer 06-27-11 03:11 PM

You are very welcome.
As one of the very early owners of the SC430, my recollection is still pretty vivid about events surrounding the purchase.
Upon reflection, I am glad I was not higher up on the list, because the dealer would call me every week when a new SC or two arrived. They would be on his lot for a day or two for prep and then until the purchaser could pick them up. This way, I got to see most of the colors in person and was able to dispel myself of some preconceived notions.
For example, I liked the black, and thought the black interior would be nice, but I had a chance to see a black/black and black/ecru (that's the off-white) side by side, and I much preferred the ecru. I liked the dark green, but not with the saddle. That color turned out to be very rare, and I have only seen a few in the intervening 10 years.
In fact, like most buyers, I did not like the "saddle" too much with any color as it tended toward the orange rather than the tan area of the spectrum.
When my name came up, the car was black with saddle, and I passed (the dealer then sold it to Ken Griffey, Jr., I am told). The next one in was Black/ecru (with Nav, of course), and I jumped on it. Six months later I could have turned it for a tidy profit as the demand was pretty fierce and Lexus would not allow the dealers to sell them over sticker. I should have ordered two.
Saddle was discontinued and other colors came and went, but the black/white, with the very unusual bird's eye maple wood trim (a bold fashion statement) remains a classic. I just turned 35,000 mines, and still receive favorable, unsolicited comments at gas stations, etc., and I can't think of another convertible I'd rather have right now (DB9 Volante excepted).

Yes 06-27-11 03:15 PM

I remember seeing one in Hawaii with no navigation. Which makes sense there. But it would kind of suck not having it here.