SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

cd changer jammed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 07:11 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

OK add one more happy camper here ! Got the dreaded error 3 after trying to switch from Disc 3 to Disc 4 this morning. Pressing Eject just resulted in more whirring followed by radio shut off. Read this thread and went straight out to the car to do the smacking method. Worked like a charm. Held down the eject button top left side with the left hand and smacked the leather console upright side to the right of the right hand audio tune button. Two hard smacks with an open palm. Discs came out one by one from 3 through 6 followed by discs 1 and 2. Next thing I saw was the CD changer asking me to load discs before the little door shut after about 30 secs. Now I will clean up the CDs and maybe place them back in. Makes me wonder what options I have if one day I want to give up on the CD changer and get something that can store songs on a hard drive like in modern cars.

But, I am happy. This is why I like CL so much.
Old 12-30-18, 09:36 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Simple. Get your self a FM Bluetooth transmitter, then store music to your phone. I don’t like FM transmitter because Noise interference so I use Monster Casserole adapter. Works great.
Old 01-08-20, 01:35 PM
EdCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had a CD trapped in the CD Changer. Previously, while attempting to eject a CD, the CD was partially ejected and retracted back into the unit before I could grab it. For months the CDs play, they just continue to skip the CD being held hostage. Today, I decided to attempt to free the hostage CD, by using the "Eject and Wack" method. Actually, the Wack was much more of a "tap" and the CD was ejected. I reinserted the same CD and now everything seems to be working well. This was almost as satisfying as when this forum provided a way for me to open the trunk after locking my keys in the trunk. The knowledge of the owner's on this forum are amazing and greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
JDaveSC430 (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 01:53 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

A lot of us have abandoned the CD player. I myself have a Bluetooth input and I play Spotify, life is much simpler.
Old 01-08-20, 10:01 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Tried this trick by hitting on the side and top while holding eject button w no luck. I have 6 cds in there now.

Ian B
Old 07-07-21, 12:17 PM
yap123
Driver School Candidate

The banging method worked for me!
Old 10-13-21, 05:01 PM
WaynesWrld
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by EdCA
I too had a CD trapped in the CD Changer. Previously, while attempting to eject a CD, the CD was partially ejected and retracted back into the unit before I could grab it. For months the CDs play, they just continue to skip the CD being held hostage. Today, I decided to attempt to free the hostage CD, by using the "Eject and Wack" method. Actually, the Wack was much more of a "tap" and the CD was ejected. I reinserted the same CD and now everything seems to be working well. This was almost as satisfying as when this forum provided a way for me to open the trunk after locking my keys in the trunk. The knowledge of the owner's on this forum are amazing and greatly appreciated.
The same thing happened to my 04 SC. The CD player showed "error 3 code" and I thought the unit would have to be replaced. I read what you and a few others said about giving the console a wack. So I tried it. Voila! It worked like a charm! So far the unit is back to working normally again. Thank you very much! By the way, I too found out the hard way about locking my keys in the trunk!

Last edited by WaynesWrld; 10-13-21 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-05-22, 06:58 PM
AT3618
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 05 SC430 CD change failed with error 3. I came here and see many SC owners used the banging method. Initially it does not work because I was banging on the right column directly. I then used my right hand PALM to bang on the right SIDE on the passenger side of the console that holds the CD unit while pressing the Eject button using my left hand. It worked for me. All CDs were ejected out. Thank you all!!!
I have noticed this problem was caused by me to load a self made music CD-R because it was too thick. I measured the CD-R I made using a caliper and compared to the music CD I bought from stores. The CD-R was 1.15mm on the edge, but the music CD from store was 1.11 on the edge. The CD-R has a sharp edge and the regular music CD has a slightly rounded smooth edge. I think that is why.