Door speaker/amp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 06:52 PM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Door speaker/amp replacement

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been talked about over and over about stereo upgrades. I have used the search but have not come across one where someone has created 2 sets of RCAs from the stock head unit. I am going to have 2 amps, one for inside speakers and one for sub.

I will run the RCA for the amp using the rear speaker lines. I wanted to use the front door speakers to create the RCA for the amp to the door speakers.

My question is, do i tap the inline converter into the speaker wires coming from the amp OR the wires coming from the navi to the front door speaker?? If i understand corrrectly, the driver door speakers serve as the navi voice.

I did not want to tap into the wrong one and end up with no navi voice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an '02 with ML and navi. Thanks!
Old 01-25-11, 06:44 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're right, there is a lot of information on audio systems here. In case you missed this,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...gger-wire.html

here is a link to a thread that contains the wiring diagram for SC audio. Refer to the post where VVTiBob has kindly attached the PDFs. Note the balanced line level R & L (shielded) outputs from the head unit to the stereo component amp in the rear of the vehicle. You can also see that the door speakers appear to be bi-amped. The navigation amplifier is in line between midrange and tweeter wiring (low impedance) of the driver's side only. So if I'm reading the diagrams correctly, if you tapped the line level inputs and eliminated the stereo component amp and navigation amps you would probably lose the nav voice. If you do something with the speaker wiring completely you could probably preserve nav voiced but I am unsure what you get into if there are electronic crossovers applied to the door woofer / midrange outputs. Also, those are low impedance lines. I bet that if one of the members has done this successfully they may offer some additional information.