SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

CD Changer broken :^<

Old 12-26-10, 01:32 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Changer broken :^<

Hi -

My CD changer just stopped working. Won't even eject any of the disks. I have a 2002 SC430 so needless to say it is out of warranty. How have you dealt with this? For those who had the dealer replace it, how much did it cost? If not the dealer, has anyone put in after market or purchased a used head unit? Thanks
Old 12-26-10, 02:37 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I hate it when people modify the question rather than answer it, but if you are thinking of dealer, just letting the CD sit and going to VAIS MP3 is gonna be a whole lot cheaper.
Old 12-26-10, 02:56 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I hate it when people modify the question rather than answer it, but if you are thinking of dealer, just letting the CD sit and going to VAIS MP3 is gonna be a whole lot cheaper.
Thanks, any suggestion is an answer as well and is appreciated. I'll look into this. But also, I would appreciate any costs, etc. information to repair/replace the stereo head.
Old 12-26-10, 03:26 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

there is a repair service on eBay for $149. There are instructions for removing the head unit on this forum if you want to ship it off for repair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REPAI...#ht_1031wt_939

Last edited by Poqman; 12-26-10 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 03:41 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear! Good news is that CD's are obsolete and now you can upgrade to mp3!

You can buy a SLU Vais Unit on eBay right now for a little more than it would cost to repair your cd changer...brand new from Vais Tech for $219 (on sale):

http://www.vaistech.com/products/slu.php

Here's one on eBay with a "best offer" bid $219 buy it now...you could offer $200 and see how low they can go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VAIS-TECH-Toyota...item2eaaacc2c8

You can DIY (nice write ups on Club Lexus) for a few bucks (fasteners/ties) and it would be about the same price to repair your cd changer and you won't be without a head unit for a while...

Also suggestion to buy a used unit on eBay...here's one with the climate control above it for $199:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexsu...fAudioQ5fVideo

Last edited by scdroptop; 12-26-10 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 07:32 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you just want to replace with OEM another possible source is XVIPERS: http://shop.xvipers.com/

In addition to the website they also usually have listings on ebay also.
Old 12-26-10, 07:57 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Thanks, great information! I checked out the Vipers site and didn't see an units for a 2002 SC430, but I sent them an email asking if they carried any. Also seriously considering the VAIS route, but would still like to recover the CD's that are "stuck" in the unit. Thanks again!
Old 12-26-10, 08:09 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think VAIS is having a groupbuy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...echnology.html
Old 12-27-10, 06:16 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,050 Likes on 687 Posts

If the problem is just a stuck cd. My other car is an Acura RL and reading on their forum about stuck cd's. I tried this on a friends car that had stuck cd's and it worked. Turn on the radio, press cd button, hold down the eject button and give the dash above the radio a good smack. My friend was amazed when the cd popped out. Hope it works for you!!!
Old 12-27-10, 06:42 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If the little slot door opens but the CD won't eject, it's possible to get the CD out without pulling the whole head unit out.

Twice I've had this happen and both times I was able to get the errant CD out with a pair of tweezers. It's a bit like playing Operation, but you can get it out.

Usually, you just have to get it moving and it'll then power-eject right out.
Old 12-27-10, 08:01 AM
scdroptop

Just curious...is it a blank cd that's stuck?

I have had terrible luck with blank cd's in ML systems. Dealer tells me that they are the root of most evil on ML decks due to the way the laser reads it and the fit of the cd.
Old 12-27-10, 10:18 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Freds430
If the problem is just a stuck cd. My other car is an Acura RL and reading on their forum about stuck cd's. I tried this on a friends car that had stuck cd's and it worked. Turn on the radio, press cd button, hold down the eject button and give the dash above the radio a good smack. My friend was amazed when the cd popped out. Hope it works for you!!!
Fantastic!!! You're a genius!!!! It worked!!!!
What a relief! This convinced me to seriously look at the VAIS and not rely on the CD as much going forward. Thanks again!
Old 12-27-10, 10:19 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Just curious...is it a blank cd that's stuck?

I have had terrible luck with blank cd's in ML systems. Dealer tells me that they are the root of most evil on ML decks due to the way the laser reads it and the fit of the cd.
Not sure if the blank CD was the culprit. Had 3 blanks, 3 originals in the CD player when it jammed. Of course, no labels.
Old 12-27-10, 10:40 AM
scdroptop

I had two of my ML systems give me the ERROR 5 code and were stuck, wouldn't play, etc and they were a mix as well of regular cds and blanks. I stopped using blanks since the dealer advised me not to and never had another problem. My 02 went through two head units in three years!

great news you got yours out
Old 12-27-10, 02:26 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RodF
Fantastic!!! You're a genius!!!! It worked!!!!
What a relief! This convinced me to seriously look at the VAIS and not rely on the CD as much going forward. Thanks again!

Which part of the dash did you smack?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD Changer broken :^<