SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

When to change plugs and drive shaft flange bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 02:34 PM
Drabek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to change plugs and drive shaft flange bolts

I obtained my pre-owned '02 SC in 3/'07 with 36,700 mi. It now has 55,600 miles (8 yrs old). My maintenance book recs. a plug change at 120,000 miles or 96 mos. (8 yrs). Which are members following, miles or years? I seem to recall hearing "Click and Clack" on 'Car Talk' say that plugs can seize if left in too many years. Please share your experiences.
Also, I have been having the 'drive shaft flange bolts re-torqued' according to schedule. Just what are these bolts that need the 'frequent re-torquing.'
Thanks
Chuck
Old 12-08-10, 07:40 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Chuck-I gave my 2002 SC with 29k miles a spark plug change and I asked to see them after they removed and they were charbroiled! The car ran very smooth and had plenty of power, but even better after the plug change. Both local Lexus dealers advised me NOT to change, but both agreed that I may see some improved gas mileage (which I did not) and doubted that I would see any increase in performance (which I did). LOL

If I had your car, I would do it, but that's just based on my experience. In fact, I'm thinking about changing and upgrading on my 05 with 37k miles!

I've never done the flange bolts except for with my 30k service on my current SC. I've always passed on previous service recommendations and figured that if they had a problem I would hear or feel it, right??? No difference in drive or feel after the 30k which was supposed to include this service just so you know.
Old 12-11-10, 05:30 PM
bcliff56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To scdroptop: Please tell me why you switched to K&N filter (that is besides their typical ads). How about the cooling syystem (changing the coolant) service intervals. Have you had any experience w/ dealer service on this or other systems. Do you rotate tires on a schedule? I am a brand new owner (wife has one and I liked it so much I bought a 2003 last month),previously owning an RX330. texasx@austin.rr.com (bcliff56)
Ref: your 12/08/2010 comments on spark plugs and flange bolts.
Old 12-11-10, 07:29 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drabek
...Also, I have been having the 'drive shaft flange bolts re-torqued' according to schedule. Just what are these bolts that need the 'frequent re-torquing.'
There are three bolts (with nuts) that secure the driveshaft to a flex coupling at the differential and at the transmission end. The torque specification is 58 ft-lbf. Both the Lexus shop and the specialty import shop I use torque them at each oil change interval as part of the service. It's probably not a big deal if it doesn't happen every time but on the other hand this isn't something you want to have come loose, eh?
Old 12-11-10, 10:27 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by bcliff56
To scdroptop: Please tell me why you switched to K&N filter (that is besides their typical ads). How about the cooling syystem (changing the coolant) service intervals. Have you had any experience w/ dealer service on this or other systems. Do you rotate tires on a schedule? I am a brand new owner (wife has one and I liked it so much I bought a 2003 last month),previously owning an RX330. texasx@austin.rr.com (bcliff56)
Ref: your 12/08/2010 comments on spark plugs and flange bolts.
Congrats on your recent purchase and welcome to the family! Post some pics so we can all check out your new ride!

Regarding your question, I live by the book when it comes to luxury cars. If it was an accord or camry or civic or f150 I might be more apt to cheat a little but these cars are so sophisticated and especially if you are buying a preowned one (which I do) you can never really account for the previous driver's habits, climate, driving environments and I'm not even getting into WHERE they had it serviced, if at all. First thing I do always when getting any new car is replace all wear and tear stuff starting with smallest going to largest. Start with a oil change, air filter, cabin filter...you may end all the way up (depending on year/mileage) with a complete brake bleed or timing belt which can get expensive.

30k interval for most major fluids on a SC That's the big one at the dealer. It can set you back $500-$600 without brakes. Some additional items that commonly get done here are wipers, batteries, serpentine belts which all go out on their own time too. I've seen some 30k services well over $1k including brake work, and of course if you have a 02-03 now it's due for timing belt. I stick with the mileage OR months-remember just because your car may have low miles, doesn't mean those fluids or filters aren't dirty!

I change my oil every six months regardless of miles. My last mileage was 800miles since last change! I do my cabin filter and air filter once every 18 months or so-the environment affects those and plan on replacing wipers then too, especially since we live in Texas with extreme temps.

I did a second 30k service on my 02 with 25k miles in 2006 because the previous owner did "a la carte" services at the dealer and I wanted to make sure it had a real strong 30k service so then I did coolant, rear diff, tranny flush and also brake pads on rear and rotors turned. I want to say it was $750 or so but that was a while ago.

Living in high traffic areas like I do (Dallas) I have found with a lot of my cars with super low mileage that I don't drive a lot need rotors turned more so than pads-I'm assuming that's because the "glaze" over. If I used the cars more and ran the pads on them more often, I'm assuming they wouldn't glaze as much??? Just a thought.

I've attached the maint schedule for you. Lots of great resources on www.lexus.com make sure you register for "my lexus" and you'll be able to see all your cars maint history and your wifes too. PM me if you need any help and welcome again!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SC Maint Schedule.pdf (211.0 KB, 270 views)
Old 12-12-10, 08:23 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I purchased our '02 in 2007 I went through and changed the fluids since it only had 15K miles on it. I figured that a lot of the fluids were sitting for extended periods of time and not getting a lot of drive time and consistent heating up from driving.

Here's what I did:
Brake Lines - Bled them thoroughly with the help of my son who sat in the car and pumped the brakes as I bled the system. A little messy but easy and cheap to do. Bled 2 qts or so through the system

Power Steering Fluid: Used a battery syringe to siphon out any of the fluid from the reservoir I could. Mixed in new. Started the car and drove for a little. Siphoned again, drove again then one more time for good measure.

Tranny: Drain as much as the pan will allow by unbolting and draining each time I change the engine oil. About 3 qts comes out each time. Using Amsoil Synthetic Tranny fluid. 3 changes so far. The tranny fluid is pink in color and smells very clean each time I change it. I am not worried about mixing fluids and Amsoil says it's OK as well.

Engine Oil: I changed over to Amsoil 0W-30 as soon as I got the car. It gets changed about every 9-12 months. Usually 7500 miles of driving. The oil change interval recommended by Amsoil is 17,500 miles for their synthetic, but the SC gets a lot of in-town driving so I figure it qualifies for severe use driving.

Coolant: Changed with timing belt. Yes make sure you get the belt done ASAP.

Rear Diff: Have not done yet. Will do over Christmas.
Spark Plugs - Not yet. Christmas as well.
Old 12-12-10, 09:35 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
When I purchased our '02 in 2007 I went through and changed the fluids since it only had 15K miles on it. I figured that a lot of the fluids were sitting for extended periods of time and not getting a lot of drive time and consistent heating up from driving.

Here's what I did:
Brake Lines - Bled them thoroughly with the help of my son who sat in the car and pumped the brakes as I bled the system. A little messy but easy and cheap to do. Bled 2 qts or so through the system

Power Steering Fluid: Used a battery syringe to siphon out any of the fluid from the reservoir I could. Mixed in new. Started the car and drove for a little. Siphoned again, drove again then one more time for good measure.

Tranny: Drain as much as the pan will allow by unbolting and draining each time I change the engine oil. About 3 qts comes out each time. Using Amsoil Synthetic Tranny fluid. 3 changes so far. The tranny fluid is pink in color and smells very clean each time I change it. I am not worried about mixing fluids and Amsoil says it's OK as well.

Engine Oil: I changed over to Amsoil 0W-30 as soon as I got the car. It gets changed about every 9-12 months. Usually 7500 miles of driving. The oil change interval recommended by Amsoil is 17,500 miles for their synthetic, but the SC gets a lot of in-town driving so I figure it qualifies for severe use driving.

Coolant: Changed with timing belt. Yes make sure you get the belt done ASAP.

Rear Diff: Have not done yet. Will do over Christmas.
Spark Plugs - Not yet. Christmas as well.
Thanks for reminder tfeni-I did drain my power steering fluid myself and also used Amsoil as well as Redline synthetics for all my fluids except for the Toyo Type IV---****most important fluid you cannot divert from****

I did my plugs early on my 2002 and noticed a difference in performance...plan on doing the same with my 05 with 37k miles as well as doing the carbon build up fuel injector cleaning at lexus.