SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

RunFlat Replacement: Comfort instead of performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 07:49 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RunFlat Replacement: Comfort instead of performance

Maybe the subject is misleading, but what I am really interested in is a recommendation or input regarding replacing my RFTs with a more "Touring" style tire. I am more interested in ride comfort than speed and performance. Anyone have such experience or thoughts you can share? Thanks!

Old 09-12-10, 07:59 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had great luck with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity..........it's their grand touring all-season tire. Very, very quite and very comfortable. Excellent wet traction as well. I think that the Michelin Primacy also is a very comfortable tire but the wet traction, in my experience, is not as good. You should look at the online reviews at Tirerack.com for further information. If you stick with Grand Touring type tires you should find what you want.
Good luck!
Old 09-12-10, 10:38 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
Maybe the subject is misleading, but what I am really interested in is a recommendation or input regarding replacing my RFTs with a more "Touring" style tire. I am more interested in ride comfort than speed and performance. Anyone have such experience or thoughts you can share? Thanks!

Hi Guy,

I 'think' that most of us have gone to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tire; I know that I have and they are GREAT.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 09-13-10, 02:15 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My SC came to me with 245/40 Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position tires all around. These are all-season "ultra high performance" according to Bridgestone. The previous owner had RFTs on it before these and said it was a night-and-day difference. According to the service invoice they now have about 10K miles on them and seem to be wearing very evenly. There is little noise other than a slight whine on some concrete road surfaces. They are lower in cost compated to the Turanza Serenity, which is more of a touring tire with a bit higher UTOG rating.
Old 09-13-10, 04:47 PM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you jump to the expensive, Michelins - reasearch the Falken FK 452. You won't be sorry.
Old 09-14-10, 07:40 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have been looking at non run flat tires for quite sometime in anticipation that I will replace my run flats with conventional tires. As mentioned previously, riding on my run flats with the PSI listed on the drivers door makes them much more bearable then when they over inflated.

As far as non run flat tires go, I've been huge fan of Michelin for a long time and have had great luck with their tires. However, after researching tires and looking at the Falken FK 452, etc., I've had more than one recommendation (a couple of recommendations from tire store owners that could easily sell me more expensive tires, but they like these) of the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 tires that are inexpensively priced, so to speak. Has anyone purchased these tires for their SC430? And if so, what did you like or dislike about them?

Last edited by sixonemale; 09-14-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-14-10, 08:09 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on some michelin pilot sport a/s plus from tire rack and i love them. $220/ea. This was a month after i bought the car and hated the jarring ride.
Replaced the rft bridgestones. two of which had only 5000 miles according to previous owners service records.

Maybe the other less expensive replacement options are just as good...but there are some things i dont mind paying a premium for, tires being one of them. I've always been impressed with every set of michelins i've bought.
Old 09-14-10, 10:41 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KBALL
I put on some michelin pilot sport a/s plus from tire rack and i love them. $220/ea. This was a month after i bought the car and hated the jarring ride.
Replaced the rft bridgestones. two of which had only 5000 miles according to previous owners service records.

Maybe the other less expensive replacement options are just as good...but there are some things i dont mind paying a premium for, tires being one of them. I've always been impressed with every set of michelins i've bought.
Hi KBall,

Let me 2nd that. I have been running Michelins since 1962 and have never had a problem with them.

Why change what works?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) As regards what a local tire dealer recommends and is cheaper: Well, he just might be getting a higher profit on selling that 'cheaper' tire. I own a small manufacturing business & have been selling ( on a small basis ) retail since 1965. Profits vary on every item.
Old 09-14-10, 10:49 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

All good ideas about the tires themselves, and much appreciated!! Seems several have had positive experience buying from an online retailer. My biggest concern about buying from Tire Rack is the shipping to my address? (directly to the installer?)? I've never done that before.

Now for the logistics part of the equation. I travel a lot, almost weekly (I like to say if I am not on a plane on Monday morning American Airlines calls and asks if my health is OK!) so having a delivery of something that size is potentially really inconvenient. Ionfrank I see mentioned having them drop shipped directly to an installer. Anyone else have experience doing that?
Old 09-14-10, 12:32 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
Ionfrank I see mentioned having them drop shipped directly to an installer. Anyone else have experience doing that?
I just did in july. Tire rack shipped (tires and wheels) directly to a toyota dealer. Had the parts manager's name on their as well as toyota. Coordinated with him. No problem.

I was really impressed w tirerack. First time dealing with them. Took 3 days. They also have a program on their website where you can see what the wheels look like on your vehicle...which was crucial for me finding the right wheels
Old 09-14-10, 01:48 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

I swapped out my tires to Pirelli P-zeros and the ride is 100 times better than the runflats. As long as you dont plan on going on road trips, i think its worth the change.
Old 02-28-11, 07:43 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to buy some new tires soon to use from spring to fall for my 20" rims. I'm looking on Tire Rack and see several options. Any recommendations? My price point is less than $200 per tire.

Oh, and I was looking to get size 245/35ZR20. I believe these work without rubbing, my car is stock height...?

Last edited by redliner8; 02-28-11 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Size
Old 02-28-11, 10:00 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Print out the on-line retailer's price, including shipping, and show it to your installer. I bet your installer will beat it for the same tire, including taxes. Mine did--both times! Buy locally.
Old 02-28-11, 10:13 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I plan on buying local, I just don't know which one to choose lol Good idea to print out the prices so they can match it.
Old 02-28-11, 02:59 PM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

REDLINER8,
IM NOT ANY EXPERT ON THIS FIELD REGARDING TYRES. I JUST HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE. I HAVE HAD CLOSE TO 10 SETS OF TYRES FOR MY 20" WHEELS BETWEEN 3 OF MY CARS. WELL, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? STOCK RIDE, RIGHT? IF STOCK RIDE, 20" WHEELS WITHOUT LOWERING THE CAR DOESN'T LOOK GOOD AT ALL IN MY IMO. WITHOUT LOWERING, OUR SC430 LOOKS LIKE AN awd/4X4 VEHICLES. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR WHEELS ARE 20X8.5 ALL AROUND.
LET GET BACK ON THE TYRES. NON-PERFORMANCE I'D RECOMMEND THE YOKOHAMA S.DRIVE (ON MY SC430). THEY ARE GREAT PRICE AND VERY VERY LOW NOISE, STICKING WELL ON THE ROADS, SO SO IN THE RAIN. FALKEN 452(ON MY G35 TWIN TURBO COUPE) IS ALSO GOOD BUT THEY DO DEVELOPING SOME ROAD NOISE AT OR AROUND 15K MILES. IF PERFORMANCE IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THE TOYO T1R (ON MY WIDEBODY G35 TWIN TURBO COUPE). THEY ARE A LITTLE PRICEY THAN THE TWO MENTIONED ABOVE. NON OF THESE TYRES IS GOOD IN WET WEATHER. TRUST ME, I HAVE TRIED AND FAILED . MY NEXT SET COULD BE THE NEW CONTINENTAL DWS (DRY, WET & SNOW). THEY HAVE GREAT REVIEWS SO FAR. TAKE CARE...NED

Quick Reply: RunFlat Replacement: Comfort instead of performance