SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

sc430 Chick Car??

Old 09-03-10, 12:57 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc430 Chick Car??

Hey there guys,
I am the happy owner of an 02 LS430 UL, LX470, and a Honda S2000. I used to own a 5 spd SC300 and a bunch of other cars. My question is How many of you guys look at an sc430 as a type of Chick Car? Kinda like a Miata, which I used to also own but turned into a turbo track car. I don't know every time I see an SC430 on the road 9 times out of 10 its a lady driver.
Anyways, I've been playing with the thought of selling both my ls and the
S2k to pay off some debts and get an sc430 later down the road. I love having a roadster but I'm just not sure if the sc430 is for me. I've always liked its styling but at the same time I get this strange feeling that its really just for chicks.. What are your impressions of the new G37 hardtop conv.? It looks like the man version of the sc430 but I don't know... I guess I'd still prefer the sc and save up to get a nice aggressive kit or something to make it look a little more manly.. Thought? oppinions?
Old 09-03-10, 01:13 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's 100% stock, it may look slightly feminine. But with custom wheels and a drop, it looks more aggressive. Tinted windows and de-badging also help. I get tons of compliments, mostly from men. So I wouldn't consider it a chick car.
Old 09-03-10, 01:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Geez, this question comes up what.......every other week?
I don't see the chick car association. The smallish legroom is prolly the only chick association I could come close to but not really. Lots of cars don't have the legroom I love. Like the Corvette, which would never be called a chick car.
I think the SC430 is a stylish, unusual GT coupe/convertable that anyone could drive. What makes it more feminem or masculine is what you do to it. Stock, it's a stylish car. Some like it, some don't but I don't see the fem in it.
Old 09-03-10, 01:44 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Is the SC430 a chick car? I bought our SC430 because my wife has been in love with this car for the past few years and no other car that we looked at would get the reaction this one did. I to thought it was a chick car, but the fact of the matter is that this car drives like a dream, is engineered to high standards, especially the hard top convertible aspect, low maintenance and has classic styling that will last for years and years, kind of like a navy blue blazer, it simply won’t go out of style IMO. With the top up it seems a bit more like chick car then with the top down. Conversely, it is a chick magnet. I can’t tell you how many times while driving a girl’s eyes get radar lock on this vehicle. This can happen when a girl is driving alone or even with a guy in a truck. I’m not sure what this phenomenon is, but girls gravitate to the looks of this car like they do to clothing. It’s a bit more than remarkable and not what I expected. Although it’s my wife’s car so-to-speak, I find that I am driving it just a tad more than her.
Old 09-03-10, 02:15 PM
UnSub
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a lot of looks from the chicks since I recently bought my SC430. I know they are not looking at me so I think the car is a chick magnet! lol
Old 09-03-10, 02:18 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UnSub
I get a lot of looks from the chicks since I recently bought my SC430. I know they are not looking at me so I think the car is a chick magnet! lol
It's because your car is red (assuming). LOL
Old 09-03-10, 02:54 PM
bandcamp
Driver School Candidate

If you want a reliable, classic, stylish convertible car that's a cruiser (definitely not a sports car), the SC 430 is the car for you. Chick car or not, who cares what people perceive? It's you that matters. Buy it for what it is.

If you're concerned about labels, I would call the LS 430 a car that a 75 year old grandmother would drive, the LX 470 a soccer mom car and a S2000 a college kids car. These lables may be true some of the time (how could they not), they're probably not correct most of the time. So, move on. Get the car you like and forget about the chick car perception.
Old 09-03-10, 03:12 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bandcamp
If you want a reliable, classic, stylish convertible car that's a cruiser (definitely not a sports car), the SC 430 is the car for you. Chick car or not, who cares what people perceive? It's you that matters. Buy it for what it is.

If you're concerned about labels, I would call the LS 430 a car that a 75 year old grandmother would drive, the LX 470 a soccer mom car and a S2000 a college kids car. These lables may be true some of the time (how could they not), they're probably not correct most of the time. So, move on. Get the car you like and forget about the chick car perception.
Ahahah, Close enough, the wifey usually takes the LX, and I'm in my late 20's so kinda college age for the s2k which I daily for great gas mileage compared to the others. Not quiet right on the LS though, I usually see older gentlemen rolling in LS's I do see some grandmothers rolling in SC430's though.. Ahhaha. Anyway
Like "sixonemale" the wifey really likes the sc430 and them being only available in automatic she would be able to drive it as well so I guess I'll keep on the look out for a clean sc.

No comments of the g37 convertibles? Anyone road test one?
Old 09-03-10, 03:15 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Old pic of my toys.. anyone wanna trade?? hahha
Old 09-03-10, 03:19 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

The ride I miss most.
Old 09-03-10, 03:28 PM
bandcamp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bryan858
Ahahah, Close enough, the wifey usually takes the LX, and I'm in my late 20's so kinda college age for the s2k which I daily for great gas mileage compared to the others. Not quiet right on the LS though, I usually see older gentlemen rolling in LS's I do see some grandmothers rolling in SC430's though.. Ahhaha.
Okay. Maybe labels are correct more than I thought.

By the way, I drove an LS for 10 days a few months ago. Grandma's car. It's a really nice ride. Lot's of back seat leg room. Too bad the top doesn't drop on it though.
Old 09-03-10, 03:31 PM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a good friend who is a designer for GM. When I bought my SC430 it was between the LEXUS and a Corvette. You have to remember that the difference between the 2 is night and day. A Corvette is "in your face" , the SC430 to me is "style" and since women "usually" have a better eye for style, they gravitate to the Lexus vs a vette. That is a very broad statement since I know plenty of women that drive vette's. I have liked the class and style of the SC430 since they were introduced. They carried a hefty pricetag and now that I own one I understand why. You are going to get a better balance of comfort and performance whereas the SC430's competitors tend to put more emphasis on performance. That's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it!!HA! And yes, my buddy at GM calls it a "chick car"
Old 09-03-10, 04:27 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I am one of the few Lexus lovers between my car guy friends, and even I would honestly not drive an SC over some of the competition (no offense, it just doesn't "move" me). If you care about "labels", I can say with certainty that the "chick" label applies more to the SC than the grandma label applies to the LS. Grandmas typically drive Grand Marquis and Town Cars (and who gives a flip? I love Town Cars and would drive the hell out of one).

If I were looking to spend this much money on a convertible, and was not content with the under 10k convertibles of which there are a ton out there, I would skip the SCs relatively staid, feminine... whatever you want to call it style, the Corvette's played out overly macho "boy racer" persona, and run straight for the Cadillac XLR. If there is any vehicle out there that combines the good traits of both the SC430 and the Corvette while maintaining a healthy dose of masculinity, its got to be the XLR. They hold their value a little too well for a Cadillac though, and I think you can get SCs for significantly less now.

The trade-off is of course, the Lexus' rock solid reliability... but the XLR hasn't been traditonally Cadillac maintenance heavy either, just get a warranty.

Were I not driving my LS430... I'd most certainly be in an Range Rover, LX470 or XLR. Of course if you are one of those "anti-domestic" haters, then the SC430 is the only other game in town when it comes to a true luxury Grand Touring convertible unless you want to drop A LOT more coin for an SL. The IS and G37 verts are toys, and the 6 Series, much as I love BMW, is a maintenance nightmare.

Buy what you like, labels are for those too insecure to own what they enjoy.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-03-10 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 04:50 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

icenpinki's is a chicks car....i mean look at the screen name.
Old 09-03-10, 04:58 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

No comments of the g37 convertibles? Anyone road test one?

I have..and I was NOT impressed. Noisy, plastic, not special. I just believe this car is a Lexus "wanna be", without the credentials.

The top mechanism appears as though it will break down the road ,the way it operates. Fit and finish is not impressive as well.

There are some nice toys with this car, and it has good pick up, but..that being said, the SC is my forever car. As far as being a chick car.. I have seen more guys who drive one in my travels.

Katy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sc430 Chick Car??