SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Automatic Transmission Fluid questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 04:33 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid questions

My '02 was shifting a bit harder than expected recently, so I decided to check the fluid level. I first made a quick look under the hood and found nothing obvious as to where to check. So then I proceeded on to the user's manual. There are no references to the automatic tranmission fluid in the index, nor any instructions as to where to check it, drain it or add more in situations where it is found to be low. (I finally found an entry in the specifications concerning the type and amount of fluid it takes, but not where or how to check it.)

I find this kind of odd. It is like Lexus made an effort to prevent owners from having anything to do with ATF.

So I went back out under the hood. As you are standing next to the front driver's side tire fender, there is a dipstick-looking object to the right of the engine oil fill cap and the engine oil dipstick and down several inches. (All sorts of opportunities to burn your hand as you reach down to the dipstick, of which, I managed to partake in that experience.)

The top of the dipstick has a marking that I've never seen before and is small enough that I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to be, even with my glasses on. There is a sticker that is on the side of the dipstick handle that can be read AFTER it is pulled out indicating the use of ATF. The dipstick itself has no markings on it as to whether it is full or low but does have two indentations on the edge that one could assume indicate "low" or "full".

The fluid on the dipstick looked darker than I expected, though when I went back and inspected the rag I wiped it on, it was a little purplish. (Neither was the color that I expected.) It must be fairly thin also since there was very little fluid on the rag.

I was always under the impression that ATF should be checked while the engine is running, though I did it with it off. (I valued my skin more than that and wasn't even sure if I was checking the proper dipstick.)

What is the proper way to check the ATF on the SC430? What should the fluid look like?

(I know better than to ask whether it should be replaced as a matter of course since I know that has always been a very heated topic of discussion for as long as I can remember, with experts on both sides of the argument. The only clear cut answer is when the vehicle has been used for a lot of heavy duty use, like towing and mountain driving.)

Last edited by Harold57; 08-22-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 04:44 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
My '02 was shifting a bit harder than expected recently, so I decided to check the fluid level. I first made a quick look under the hood and found nothing obvious as to where to check. So then I proceeded on to the user's manual. There are no references to the automatic tranmission fluid in the index, nor any instructions as to where to check it, drain it or add more in situations where it is found to be low. (I finally found an entry in the specifications concerning, the type and amount of fluid it takes, but not where or how to check.)

I find this kind of odd. It is like Lexus made an effort to prevent owners from having anything to do with ATF.

So I went back out under the hood. As you are standing next to the front driver's side tire fender, there is a dipstick-looking object to the right of the engine oil fill cap and the engine oil dipstick and down several inches. (All sorts of opportunities to burn your hand as you reach down to the dipstick. I managed to partake in that experience.)

The top of the dipstick has marking that I've never seen before and is small enough that I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to be even with my glasses on. There is a sticker that is on the side of the dipstick handle that can be read AFTER it is pulled out indicating the use of ATF. The dipstick itself has no markings on it as to whether it is full or low but does have two indentations on the edge that one could assume indicate low or full.

The fluid on the dipstick looked darker than I expected, though when I went back and inspected the rag I wiped it on, it was a little purplish. (Neither was the color that I expected.)

I was always under the impression that ATF should be checked with the engine running, though I did it with it off. (I valued my skin more than that and wasn't even sure if I was checking the correct dipstick.)

What is the proper way to check the ATF on the SC430? What should the fluid look like?

(I know better than to ask whether it should be replaced as a matter of course since I know that has always been a very heated topic of discussion. The only clear cut answer is when the vehicle has been used for a lot of heavy duty use like towing and mountain driving.)
Hi Harold,

First, I am no expert on these cars although there are a number of people on this site who know quite a lot about them IMO.

Like you, I have 'known' that to check the autobox fluid level the engine had to be running with the trannie in Neutral or Park. If it is different in these cars, that would be good to know.

I am fortunate in that I have a very good independent mechanic that I have been using for 18 yrs. I would only need to take my car over to them and they would tell me what to do. Right now my car is in the bodyshop getting a paint chip repaired. If you would like me to take my car ( '02 also ) over to my mechanic next week and try to get some info for you, just let me know.

Do you have a good indie mechanic that you might take it to for some answers?

Anyone else here got a thought or two?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) How many miles on your car; that can make a difference in what decision that you make regarding what to do?
Old 08-22-10, 04:48 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Here is the procedure for checking the AT fluid level. Oh and DON'T GET THE FLUID ON ANYTHING!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AT Fluid Check.pdf (40.0 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-22-10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 05:06 PM
VVTiBob

I found this general info regarding ATF...

Check the level when the transmission is hot. On most vehicles this is done with the engine idling and the transmission in Park. Moving the gear selector thorough each gear position prior to checking the level will help assure an accurate reading.

Under normal driving conditions, a transmission should not use any fluid. A low level, therefore, usually indicates a leak.

Next, check for fluid oxidation. The sniff test is a good one, but a "blotter test' is even better. Put a few drops of ATF on a clean paper towel. Wait 30 seconds, then examine the spot. If the fluid has spread out and is pink, red or even light brown in color, the fluid is in satisfactory condition. But if the spot hasn't spread out and is dark brown in color, the ATF is oxidized and should be changed.

If the fluid has a milky brown appearance, it indicates coolant contamination. There is probably a leak in the ATF oil cooler inside the radiator that is allowing coolant to mix with the ATF. This is bad news and needs to be repaired immediately.
Old 08-22-10, 07:02 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks Bob for the info and Jerry for the input. I have another issue that I need to take it to the mechanic for (either independent or dealer, I have both), so I'll just have them check the transmission. I don't feel like sticking my hand back down in there when it is hot again and especially when it is running!

Currently the car is at about 71kmi.
Old 08-24-10, 04:12 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Bob, where can I get a copy of the workshop manual for the SC430.
Old 08-24-10, 11:25 AM
VVTiBob

I got my set (2 Volumes) from Sewellpartsonline. There are manuals for each year model. In most cases you need both, Vol 1 is mostly the diagnostics. I also have New Car Model features for 02 and Electrical diagrams 02 that I found on ebay. Working on getting the AT manual too.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-24-10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-24-10, 09:31 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Harold-Bob gave you some great advice as always and always a great resource with technical stuff!

For my two cents, I'll tell you that www.vioc.com (Valvoline Instant Oil Change) does a great job with fluids and they are 50% the cost of Lexus or Toyota Dealers cost. There are lots of VIOC's here in Texas.

On a side note, we live in Texas. Most Texas weather is extreme...In Dallas 2010 we had eight snow storms and some days we struggled to get to zero degrees! We also have had 20+ days straight of 100 degree weather and plenty days of pollen filled rainy/humid days. Weather plays a role in all your fluids and belts and filters due to the extreme temps. Couple this with our terrible stop and go traffic and IMO you have "extreme driving conditions". Just my two cents. 7 years and 71k miles it's time

My advice is that if your fluid is darker and you've never had a flush, fill or flush and fill, then I would recommend doing a full one. Don't settle for just a drain and fill-that won't nearly be enough.

I watched Valvoline drain the pain and suck the ATF out of the dipstick and it seemed like forever to refill that beast of a tranny! They were very affordable. Type IV too which is a must.

Another tip would be to google specials on transmission service for lexus or toyota. I've found deals for several fellow CL members before in their areas by just searching online. Most lexus dealers will match whatever Toyo is charging and they have lots of coupons.

Keep us posted...