SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Service Excellence, but not from a Lexus Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 03:18 PM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Service Excellence, but not from a Lexus Dealership

So just to bring everyone up to speed. I had my timing belt replaced at the local Lexus dealership to the tune of $1000 (with a new water pump and drive belt). I drove the car home and then around town for a day and the check engine light came on.

I then disconnected the battery and the light went off...until last Friday night. The light came back on and I went to the Autozone to have the codes pulled. It was the EVAP system (codes 440, 441, and 446).

I took the car to a local mechanic that primarily works on BMWs and MBs, and he pulled the same codes. He thought is was the solenoid so we ordered one ($70 installed).

The part came in today so I went to his shop to have it installed. He took the cover off the engine and lo and behold...an evap line was disconnected. It was not reattached when the lexus tech was working on the car. He reattached the line and reset the code, and the light went off. Total cost = $0 since he sent back the solenoid.

I put the car in drive and then the VSC VSC-Off lights came on, and at this point I am getting annoyed. I called lexus and told them what happened and they said to bring it in and they will hook it up to their computer for $150. I told him this was due to his tech and he got kind of short with me. I hung up, called Toyota and went there.

The service manager was understanding, hooked it to their computer to see if any codes were pending. Nothing came up so they set the balance for the VSC and sent me on my way. Total cost = $0

Long story short, I had two great run-ins with mechanics and it cost me $0. It will be a long, long time before I go back to the Lexus dealership.
Old 08-16-10, 04:35 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

The service at the Lexus dealer is absolutely worth a letter detailing the events to Lexus Corporate Customer Service.

Glad to hear it was just the vacuum line. But with the suggestion of $150 just to scan the car again, makes me wonder if your dealer was "generating" unnecessary fees. Which IS NOT cool
Old 08-16-10, 04:50 PM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

^^^
I completely agree and I too am happy it was just a line. I promised myself to never go back to Lexus unless it is something only they can fix.

On the upside my new mechanic friend will be making me a custom exhaust/muffler delete. He will be running resonators behind the axle, so I will have a total of four resonators like a BMW performance exhaust.
Old 08-16-10, 04:52 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer stands at the service desk and keeps repeating it will be $105 to look at the car. Doesn't matter what I take it in for. I try to talk to them about my problem....that will be $105. It's quite irritating.
Old 08-16-10, 05:35 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Sounds like the ultimate pursuit of profit, not perfection. While I completely understand no one works for free. There is a concept of customer service. If that was the attitude at my dealership, it would be the last time I brought my car there.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-16-10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 07:38 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

Here in metro-Atlanta there are numerous (and excellent) Mercedes-only, BMW-only and Porsche-only shops to choose from. But none for Lexus, at least none that I have been able to find (help?). Lexus is a BIG seller here. As I drive around I see many, many of them, probably second only to Mercedes in this corner of the market. One would think . . . BenzWorld.org maintains a member-generated list of shops throughout the USA, with posted pros and cons. Perhape such a list is called for on our web site?
Old 08-17-10, 08:19 AM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

^^^

I used to take my Acura cl to a place called Japaneese automotive in Alpharetta. They were pretty good.
Old 08-17-10, 11:14 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Sounds like the ultimate pursuit of profit, not perfection. While I completely understand no one works for free. There is a concept of customer service. If that was the attitude at my dealership, it would be the last time I brought my car there.
Absolutely. I think there are some simple economic realities involved in supporting a glass and marble dealership. The luxury/specialty repair shops in my area don't look quite as elegant and the service rates aren't quite so high. One I have located is owned and managed by a former master technician from one of the Lexus dealers. Same basic gene pool and knowledge base, but markedly different overhead and philosophy. They will actually talk with you about your car...

To me that customer service attitude thing is a separate issue that must involve some kind of arrogant self-destruct mechanism that should eventually translate to reduced sales if enough customers were sensitive to it. The problem is that many Lexus customers seem to be accustomed to paying the long bucks. They purchased a luxury car and aren't disappointed when the service similarly turns out to be luxurious.
Old 08-17-10, 12:00 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WISLUGGO
So just to bring everyone up to speed. I had my timing belt replaced at the local Lexus dealership to the tune of $1000 (with a new water pump and drive belt). I drove the car home and then around town for a day and the check engine light came on.

I then disconnected the battery and the light went off...until last Friday night. The light came back on and I went to the Autozone to have the codes pulled. It was the EVAP system (codes 440, 441, and 446).

I took the car to a local mechanic that primarily works on BMWs and MBs, and he pulled the same codes. He thought is was the solenoid so we ordered one ($70 installed).

The part came in today so I went to his shop to have it installed. He took the cover off the engine and lo and behold...an evap line was disconnected. It was not reattached when the lexus tech was working on the car. He reattached the line and reset the code, and the light went off. Total cost = $0 since he sent back the solenoid.

I put the car in drive and then the VSC VSC-Off lights came on, and at this point I am getting annoyed. I called lexus and told them what happened and they said to bring it in and they will hook it up to their computer for $150. I told him this was due to his tech and he got kind of short with me. I hung up, called Toyota and went there.

The service manager was understanding, hooked it to their computer to see if any codes were pending. Nothing came up so they set the balance for the VSC and sent me on my way. Total cost = $0

Long story short, I had two great run-ins with mechanics and it cost me $0. It will be a long, long time before I go back to the Lexus dealership.
This just irks me!

I would write and email the Lexus dealer this same exact story. And also file a complaint to the manager and regional manager and whoever else. Maybe then Lexus will learn a thing or two from these other establishments.