SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 09:24 PM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my way home from work a few minutes ago I tried to unstick the switch, and couldn't.

Here's a picture (I hope):
Attached Thumbnails Newbie questions-photo.jpg  
Old 08-10-10, 10:42 PM
thelopez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I ever get to my quarter window mod, my switches are going in the coin holder or the holder switch itself.
Old 08-10-10, 11:50 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

ausbun....welcome to CL.

I recently bought an '07 Pebble Beach, and when I test drove it, I noticed that the coin tray wouldn't open. The slide button wouldn't move at all, just as you describe. The salesman said he would have that fixed and he did. I don't know what the problem was, but it should be able to be fixed fairly cheaply.

What am I saying....nothing comes "cheap" at the stealership.
Old 08-11-10, 06:47 AM
ausbun
Driver

Default Thanks for the input

I appreciate the comments, sincerely. I've been reading various threads on issues I have discovered in the last few days, so I haven't had to post questions. They've already been answered!

BTW, yesterday's mail brought a postcard from my local Lexus dealership, reminding me that service is due on my wife's RX 300. It had a picture of a red SC 430 on it, instead of a RX 300. I thought, "How did they know?" But upon closer inspection, I noticed the Lexus badge on the front was backward because they had flipped the picture. I just chalked it up to the relentless pursuit of cash-flow.
Old 08-11-10, 07:41 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you bought it from a dealership recently, I'd call your sales guy and say, "Hey, I just noticed the switch on the coin tray is stuck. Can you guys take a look at it?" They may fix it for free. When I bought mine, I noticed the nav door was stuck open a couple days after buying it. They fixed it for free.
Old 08-11-10, 01:14 PM
ausbun
Driver

Default The discoveries keep on coming

I noticed, in the long thread about what you've discovered about your SC 430, that the trunk shutoff switch is in the glovebox. When I got home from work last night, I checked it out. Sure enough, I left it in the wrong position, and when I started the raise the top this afternoon, the red light came on and it wouldn't budge. I had to get out the manual and look up the cause. (How embarrassing.)

BTW, I replaced the wiper blades without incident, thanks to the instructions.

And, since I bought my SC from an individual, I can't take it back and get him to unstick the coin tray button.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 08-11-10, 01:47 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

So how handy do you feel? Want to tackle the coinbox on your own and learn more about your car?
Old 08-11-10, 01:55 PM
ausbun
Driver

Default I'll add it to my list ....

Let's see. There's an engine air filter to be replaced, a cabin air filter to be ordered and replaced, wheel-cover screws to be replaced, leather to be cleaned, a finish imperfection (unknown origin) on the roof to be taken care of, vacuuming, washing and polishing. When I get under the hood, who knows what minor issues will need to be resolved?
Old 08-11-10, 02:08 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Well if you feel up to it... ALWAYS used a taped over pry tool, screwdriver to prevent potential damage to adjacent components. But before you do that, you should try push back and hold the release switch while applying slight pressure to tray door, end closest to the radio to see if the spring is broken. If you look back at the photos you can see how door pivots up.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie questions-console-sub-panel-removal.png   Newbie questions-console-sub-panel.png  
Old 08-11-10, 03:59 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Ausbun-welcome to the Best Forum in the World!!! Sorry to hear about your coin tray problems. My though is that it's stuck from spilt beverages. Perhaps some hot water and a rag around that area might loosen it up? Or...perhaps small granules of something got stuck on the part that needs to slide. Take a Q-tip and clean out the track as well as stick business card's edge around the edge of the tray and make sure you "floss" between.

If all else fails and you cannot get it to work, eBay has a plethora of great parts. X-Vipers is a reliable and vastly stocked parts dismantler of Vipers and lots of SC430's.

I found you a coin tray (comes with the console) for only $99 here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SC430...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-11-10, 04:03 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh--on the ash receptable-some lexus vendors offer a retrofit cell phone holder or another useful object that fits nicely--I've seen it in a couple of places. If you don't want to order the original part that VVTI Bob gave you then let me know and I'll help you find other solutions.

Another great idea is that if you are ever going to add XM radio or Ipod adapter some folks have retrofit a nice receiver in that space. You can do a search to find it.

Hope the little nuances work theselves out--in the big scheme of things they really are nothing. You will love this cars style, comfort, dependability and versatility.