SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Check Engine Light on... CRAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 03:36 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get the Megan Mounts from Ebay. best

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-24-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 08:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
get the Magen Mounts from Ebay. best
Do you have any data to share?
Are you using these?
Did you post a thread of your installation, if it applies?
Tks!
Old 02-24-15, 08:10 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

yes I use them an others on this forum. they are not made like the stock ones. they don't degrade like the stock ones. again the best. the old saying you get what you pay for. look below.

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-24-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 08:47 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
yes I use them an others on this forum. they are not made like the stock ones. again the best. the old saying you get what you pay for. look below.
If you do not mind, would you share the amount you paid.

Also, have you noticed anything different as it pertains to vibration, installation issues etc?

I read that Lexus changed the motor mount design in 04 or 05 and made improvements to the design. Do you know if they are indeed better or still substandard to these aftermarket mounts?
Old 02-24-15, 09:04 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

I think they sell for 190 ebay no vib Megan made different they a harder meteral better. its your money. just my 02 cents

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-24-15 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 09:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have the same issue...the hose was loose.
This caused the CEL and codes P0440, P0441 and P0446.
It was loose because the motor mounts were shot. I replaced the mounts and all is good again. The vibration is gone too.

I erased the codes with my code checker that I purchased from Harbor Freight. It is a must have item.

NOTE: if you decide to do the mounts yourself be sure to have a 14mm swivel socket or a wobble extension. A universal will NOT fit properly, trust me, I learned the hard way!
I did this job with ramps and a floor Jack.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-03-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-05-15, 02:41 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As many have mentioned already -- the CEL on Lexus is often (not always) related to the MAF or an O2 sensor. My 2000 RX300 was absolutely notorious for this. I had to clean the MAF sensor on an annual basis. It's easy to do.

I also found that buying one of the code readers was a good investment for me. They aren't very expensive and most will not only read the code but allow you to reset it. Thus, avoiding the battery disconnect route.

Just keep in mind that resetting the code in any fashion does not mean the problem is resolved.

-geno
Old 03-06-15, 09:23 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Happening to me.. CEL comes on and within five seconds the VSC lights come on. Disconnect the battery for a "reset" and CEL will stay off for a couple days, however, returns on and then followed immediately by VSC lights on. Thus, have these three lights on and a "tire" light on as one of the batteries in the tire inflation module is history. So, I drive with four of the Christmas tree lights on.., not to worry. Only 47K miles on an "04"...
Old 03-06-15, 09:57 AM
EddierRo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
check/replace the gas cap as others suggest.
also check if it has a loose tube. If nothing works, take it to the repair shop.

Does anyone happen to know the part number for that tube?
Old 03-07-15, 01:00 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Another update on the CEL -- the code is P0155 which means that sensor #1 in Bank2 is bad. I am very very suspicious since the car only has 20K on it. In fact, I think it's related to the poor job done by the dealer when replacing the airbag. As I mentioned in an earlier post, after they replaced the airbag the cabin temp could not be regulated -- in fact -- the only thing that worked was the heater!!! Which the dealer discovered they screwed up during the recall. I will be contacting corporate for some assistance!!!
Old 03-10-15, 09:33 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Default Now the VSC light is on!!!

Update 3/10/2015

Contacted Corporate about having to replace an O2 sensor at only 20K miles -- and right after the dealer screwed up the airbag recall and caused the internal cabin temp to be totally unregulated.

Now the VSC lights are on and I'm ticked. Corporate said they would look into it -- which is basically a stall tactic. The car is way out of warranty -- yet has only 20K miles. This should not be happening.

I sold a Porsche Boxster to buy the SC430 -- I'm thinking I made a bad mistake. The Boxster was reliable day in day out -- no issues at all. It was just a much harsher ride and I'm getting too old to be beat up on the road.

Will keep you posted on what Corporate says.

BTW, the dealer wants $520 to replace the O2 sensor. I can buy the Denso sensor on Amazon for $50 and have it installed by a reliable mechanic for $90. Unless Corporate comes through for me -- the dealer and I won't be seeing much of each other.
Old 03-10-15, 10:46 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Good luck, I previously asked corporate to repair flaking chrome on my OEM rims with only 20k miles. Just to rechome, $300, and I explained my car has been garage kept it's entire life. No exposure to elements or road salt. Even got two official letters from a Lexus Service Manager and a Toyota Service Manager that verified it was defect in the chroming procedure. Lexus did nothing for me. Now I'm contacting them for a dash that is splitting (adhesive is starting to fail). Originally recall service was supposed to repair it and neglected to do so. I hope they will do something for me since they will have to take on the airbag recall and thus remove the dash anyway. Guess we're in the same boat.
Old 03-12-15, 09:14 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check the loose hose too, but I already pulled the code for mine and it's P0051 (Bank 2 sensor 1 or bad connection etc.), I'll have a mechanic put this in and see where things go from there - the weird thing is that the light popped on my way to get the airbag recalled. Lexus wanted $145 just to pull the code so I went to autozone.
Old 03-12-15, 09:32 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by howdybob22
I'll check the loose hose too, but I already pulled the code for mine and it's P0051 (Bank 2 sensor 1 or bad connection etc.), I'll have a mechanic put this in and see where things go from there - the weird thing is that the light popped on my way to get the airbag recalled. Lexus wanted $145 just to pull the code so I went to autozone.
Don't they reverse the charge if they do the work? Just wondering.
Old 03-17-15, 06:35 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Update 3/17/2015

Heard from corporate yesterday about covering the cost of the faulty O2 (heater) sensor -- as expected they "respective fully declined" to cover any of the expense. They see no relationship between the botched airbag installation which caused the cabin temp to overheat and the O2 heater sensor malfunction. They claim this is the dealer's decision -- but corporate is not concerned enough with customer loyalty to cover the dealer cost. Thus, that will be the last time I visit a Lexus dealer. I have other options for reliable service and I will use them from now on.

I had an experience with corporate about 15 years ago and I contacted the WSJ and had my issue printed in their Wednesday auto edition -- corporate found out about it and decided they didn't like the bad publicity -- they covered the cost

Maybe I need to contact the WSJ again --

-gene

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light on... CRAP!!!