SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Discovered the source of the wind noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 05:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Where do you go Nalley Smyrna or Roswell?
Old 01-26-11, 08:39 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Where do you go Nalley Smyrna or Roswell?
Hi Mandyfig

I usually go to Nalley Smyrna but my goodwill fix for the split rubber housing was done in NJ. I just sent you a PM.
Old 01-27-11, 07:39 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Cool. Who is your service advisor normally?
Old 11-16-11, 10:14 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Here we go again....

After the dealer was nice enough to replace mine under factory warranty, it tore AGAIN. Now I only have CPO warranty left so I doubt they will cover it. One thing I did notice was that there was a lot more tension on the driver's side that keeps failing. The tech said he checked the window last time to ensure that it was opening correctly and he confirmed that it was. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the way it is attached to the door since the way it's connected looks slightly different on the passenger's side. I will try to take some photos.
Old 11-17-11, 10:36 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

More than likely, if your gasket is tearing that soon, your window needs adjustment. It is my understanding that there are two adjustments for the window: one for height and one for angle. Both are just one bolt. The one for height is in the window track at the front end. (I will be investigating the height adjustment myself before too long since my windows need to be lowered also.)

Does anyone have pictures or diagrams of the two adjustment points?
Old 11-17-11, 08:27 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

This thread, post #19. Two PDFs attached there. The second PDF gives the procedure in steps 24 & 25. Also includes all measurements.
Old 11-18-11, 07:41 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mandyfig: Looks like your glass needs the adjustment in step 25. Looks like that stud bolt adjustment needs to be tightened to lean the glass to the outside more?

Last edited by kjcole; 11-18-11 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-18-11, 10:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Thanks Bob. I guess I got lazy. I thought that I had seen it somewhere but have so little time right now that I didn't search like I should have.
Old 11-20-11, 12:02 AM
nwcn98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
This thread, post #19. Two PDFs attached there. The second PDF gives the procedure in steps 24 & 25. Also includes all measurements.
Where is the pdf? Am I missing something? I've gone through each post in the thread
Old 11-20-11, 07:20 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Go back to page 2 of this thread,
scroll to find post #19 (post numbers are in the top right corner, this post is "#70")
Within the post there are two links to PDF documents
Click on the first link and voila' the door components are shown. Click on the second one and you'll find the steps to adjust the position of the glass within the door.

If you go to page 3, post #32, you find the info on the part needed to make the repair posted from Sewell, a CL authorized vendor. You can compare their price with the CL discount to other retailers.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 11-20-11 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added Sewll part info
Old 11-20-11, 08:13 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I can confirm that the gasket/seal is not replaceable under CPO...I tried. Noise, rattles, etc are not covered.

Conversely....However I have had the Platinum ESP before and it DID cover it on my 2002 with 25k miles back in 2006.
Old 12-31-11, 08:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

If the window rises above the weatherstrippng, the window needs to be lowered or else it will just rip the weatherstripping again. Loosen the 2 bolts pointed to in the pictures below and raise the window to the point where it ought to be. Lower the two stops to the window stops and retighten. Then check the window position again. (The second two pictures show the stops from the top. The stops/restraints are the black rectangular rubber pieces between the glass and the door frame in the pictures.)

I used your bungee cord trick Mandyfig, it sure made it easier this time.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nks-zgone.html
Attached Thumbnails Discovered the source of the wind noise!-sc430-window-adjustment-pts.jpg   Discovered the source of the wind noise!-sc430-window-adjustment-stop1.jpg   Discovered the source of the wind noise!-sc430-window-adjustment-stop2.jpg  

Last edited by Harold57; 01-07-12 at 03:51 PM. Reason: corrected stop/restraint wording & updated pictures
Old 01-01-12, 01:47 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine tore slightly as well. Just for the heck of it I put a little piece of wax paper over the glass edge and then dabbed on a few layers of liquid electrical tape. Working pretty well. I don't expect it to be durable, but so far so good.
Old 01-01-12, 07:28 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
If the window rises above the weatherstrippng, the window needs to be lowered or else it will just rip the weatherstripping again. Loosen the 2 bolts pointed to in the pictures below and raise the window to the point where it ought to be. Lower the two stops to the window stops and retighten. Then check the window position again. (The second two pictures show the stops from the top. They are the white cylindrical pieces between the glass and the door frame in the pictures.)

I used your bungee cord trick Mandyfig, it sure made it easier this time.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nks-zgone.html
Great post! Question - do you adjust the glass to be at the weather stripping or slight below it???
Old 01-02-12, 08:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nwcn98
Great post! Question - do you adjust the glass to be at the weather stripping or slight below it???
What I did was to raise the window to where it looked correct for the old weatherstrip first. The window was raised to where the old weatherstrip rip could barely close over the top of the window. That way I wouldn't have to worry about damaging the new weatherstripping.

Then I replaced the weatherstripping and raised the window again. The weatherstripping was a little loose around the top of the window, so I loosened the front restraint and bumped the window up just a bit to where the window was just barely starting to stretch the weatherstripping. Then I tightened the restraint back up.

If there is too much slack in the new weatherstripping, loosen up both restraints and bump the window up until it looks right. If the window distorts the weatherstripping, it is too high. The top edge of the weatherstripping should not create more than a slight bump at the top where the window contacts it. If the bump is large, it will wind up tearing the weatherstripping again. (Sorry, I don't know how to be more precise on this, it is kind of a judgement call / gut feeling type of thing.)

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Discovered the source of the wind noise!