SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

More Antenna Woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 04:38 PM
Bfrizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Antenna Woes

Okay, after months of having to wiggle my antenna to make it retract, I finally broke down and ordered a new antenna mast. I went to install it and following the provided instructions, I compared the two antennas before installing the new one. The new one's toothed cable is about twice as long as the old one. Instructions say DO NOT trim the cable, that if it is longer then there is a piece broken off in the power antenna assembly. It explains how to take the assembly apart and get the cable out, BUT it does not explain how to get to the darned thing. I dont see any obvious way to remove the inside panels in the trunk. Does anyone know or have a diagram on how to remove these to allow access? Many thanks.

Barry
Old 02-20-10, 05:46 PM
Alterious
Driver

lol i had to do that twice on mine! first you need to take out the padding on the right side of the trunk then get a 10mm deep socket to take the bolt out then you'll be able to move the whole unit. Then you have to take the whole thing apart remove the old one completely then install it back the way it was mounted. After that you need two people for this someone needs to set the stereo to "ANT" after that make sure the tooth is facing west and insert it in the hole all the way down someone needs to turn off the key in the ignition while you are standing there holding the antenna in place and it will suck the whole thing back in. After it goes in make sure not to tighten it too much because it won't move. Good luck i hope that helps!
Old 02-20-10, 05:53 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Well now you're in for a couple hours of work. I'm attaching two PDFs one is all of the audio components. Page 5 of 5 of that document deals with the trunk and antenna. The second PDF explains how to get your trunk apart. You WILL need a T40 TORK socket to remove the right hand side receiver for the tonneau cover. Other than that, the clips are a pain in the *** to remove without breaking them. Be patient and apply force slowly and you can work them out.

I don't believe it's necessary to remove any of the trunk link opening supports but the right hand garnish is difficult to remove. Just take it slow and easy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
audio components.pdf (454.1 KB, 1536 views)
Old 02-20-10, 06:02 PM
VVTiBob

Here is one more PDF I found that covers just the antenna removal... this one tells you which pieces to remove to get to it. If you review all three files you should be able to work out a plan of attack.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
antenna.pdf (78.6 KB, 953 views)
Old 02-20-10, 06:49 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Great help and advice gents! This is one I am saving for sure like I did the serpentine belt! I've done a couple of these on older Japanese cars (rx-7 and accord) and I can tell you that this may be one of those $150-$250 decisions that could save you half a day of your life! My feeling is that looking at what goes into doing this, I'd probably chicken out and have it done at a Toyo dealer or shop around at Lexus dealers with coupons for the best price. Sorry this is such a pain. Keep us posted.
Old 02-20-10, 08:33 PM
Alterious
Driver

i got my antenna from eBay i think it cost me like $10 ~ $15 and it just time consuming that's all.
Old 02-21-10, 03:16 AM
Bfrizz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I have to work from 6-2 today, but it is supposed to be a beautiful day today, so I will tackle it when I get home. I knew you guys would come through for me. Thank God for you guys and the internet. What would we ever do now days without the internet? LOL
Old 02-21-10, 03:52 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Great help and advice gents! This is one I am saving for sure like I did the serpentine belt! I've done a couple of these on older Japanese cars (rx-7 and accord) and I can tell you that this may be one of those $150-$250 decisions that could save you half a day of your life! My feeling is that looking at what goes into doing this, I'd probably chicken out and have it done at a Toyo dealer or shop around at Lexus dealers with coupons for the best price. Sorry this is such a pain. Keep us posted.
^^^1, sounds like a lot of work, if mine goes bad, off to the stealership
Old 02-21-10, 07:57 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I plan to replace mine with a simple short rubber stub ant.
Old 09-16-11, 08:02 AM
zneb28
Driver School Candidate

Default Antenna Replace

Is it as easy as I have read that to replace the standard SC antenna with a stubby non moveable one just requires yanking the old mast out and screwing on the new stub ????
Old 09-16-11, 08:37 AM
VVTiBob

well sort of... getting the trunk garnish apart to get access to the existing antenna system will have its difficulties. Finding an antenna to fit the existing chrome pieces on the outside of the Q-panel too, but yes, ultimately it's doable and others have already succeeded at it. I suppose it's all about what you think is "easy"?
Old 09-16-11, 09:47 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zneb28
Is it as easy as I have read that to replace the standard SC antenna with a stubby non moveable one just requires yanking the old mast out and screwing on the new stub ????
Our OEM antenna isnt screwed on, so the stubby will have nothing to screw into. Where did you read that it was easy? It's actually quite the opposite lol
Old 04-28-12, 06:01 PM
TopDown
Rookie

The information in this thread helped me change out my antenna today. Thanks for the all the info.
By the way the bolt under the rubber piece on the cargo hanger clip takes a T-35.