SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vaistech SLI vs. SLU

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 10:24 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Vaistech SLI vs. SLU

Went thru search button but didn't really get it clarified. On 04 SC430, is it SLU or SLI that works?

Does the wire also charge ipods too?
Old 02-01-10, 02:35 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by baboya96
Went thru search button but didn't really get it clarified. On 04 SC430, is it SLU or SLI that works?

Does the wire also charge ipods too?
For the 2002-2004, the ONLY Vais product that works is the SLU...and it only works in a "Special" mode. You get 2 sets of Aux inputs (RCA jacks).

I know one person was able to get the iPod cable from Vais that's made to be used with a different product. This gave him the ability to charge his iPod and route the audio into the Vais module (KiPod - He's since gotten rid of his SC430).

However, you don't get any iPod control regardless. You get "AUX" on the screen...and the volume controls (front panel and steering wheel) work...that's it.
Old 02-01-10, 03:55 PM
bandcamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the SLU charge the IPod? Any idea on what SLU costs (I don't see it listed on the Vais website) and how much for intallation?
Old 02-01-10, 04:05 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

SLU only...sorry. No text, just aux
Old 02-01-10, 04:54 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

When I interfaced my '02 ML stereo for IPOD, I added the VAIS SLU. It didn't charge the IPOD, so I added a Harmon Kardon drive + play. I love it. The text display is great and the IPOD controls are super. I found complete instructions on this forum that made it an easy install. I never thought I would have done this myself until I read the instructions on https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tc-w-pics.html. Good luck on your project.
Old 04-24-10, 07:23 AM
bobcat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iTouch and SAT on a 2006 SC430

Does anyone have the Vias that incorporates an iPod (iTouch) and SAT radio on a SC430 (2006)?

I would like to see the SAT on the nav screen, the iTouch I don't care about-- just have my play lists that I can cycle through-- works fine for me.

Also, does anyone have any pics of where they installed the antenna? Just curious as to how that would look. My car is silver, can these be painted with automotive paint or would that effect the signal??

Thanks -
Old 04-24-10, 02:55 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Does anyone have the Vias that incorporates an iPod (iTouch) and SAT radio on a SC430 (2006)?

I would like to see the SAT on the nav screen, the iTouch I don't care about-- just have my play lists that I can cycle through-- works fine for me.

Also, does anyone have any pics of where they installed the antenna? Just curious as to how that would look. My car is silver, can these be painted with automotive paint or would that effect the signal??

Thanks -
I have a 2006 with the Vais options you asked about. I believe you will need two VAIS units daisy chained to accomplish both SAT and iPod.

Nothing appears on the Nav screen, it is on the Mark Levinson display. For the SAT, you get the station number, station name, artist, etc., just like you do for FM.

As to the iPod, you just get the disc, track number, and time, just like you do for regular CD.

You will also get voice control -- you can tell the nav lady, "Satellite Radio One," "Satellite Radio Two" etc.

You also get an unexpected bonus -- the VAIS iPod unit has an option to automatically take care of the "I AGREE" screen. Worth the price of admission right there.

I decided to have my receiver installed just behind the glass windscreen because I felt that was the most inconspicuous. It loses signal under bridges and in heavily wooded areas (tree canopy) but I can not say whether a different placement would have better reception. I am satisfied with the reception given the exceptionally clean install.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 04-24-10 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 04-24-10, 04:00 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Also, does anyone have any pics of where they installed the antenna?
I don't have a picture of it, but Sewell installed mine back in 2006 and they put the antenna in the right corner of the dash, right next to the windshield. Reception seems to be fine with it there.
Old 04-28-10, 04:43 PM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default iSimple and SLU

I have a 2004 and used the SLU with an iSimple cable that allows me to charge the iPhone and iTouch that I have. Of course the audio comes in via that iSimple cable. I used the other aux for a 3.5 aux input.

No song display or controls but the sound is great and the iPhone charging is an nice feature.

Of course 2005 SC430 and up have other choices.

In my 08 RX350 I used the iSimple input and have iPhone control, song display and two other ports that act as a simple aux. Of course the iSimple cable and device charges the iPhone as well.