SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2010 SC430 iPod Connection Pics - Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 06:23 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 SC430 iPod Connection Pics - Please

Please post pictures of how the iPod/iPhone connection is done in the 2010 SC430. I am most interested in how the cable for the iPod/iPhone comes out of the center console if that is where the iPod Aux connections are.

It is my understanding that the 2010 SC430 came standard with the iPod Aux input. Trying to achieve the same cable grove for an 2004 SC if that is how the cable exits the center console.
Old 12-29-09, 07:09 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Checked lexus.com and new dealers for pics of any 2010 showing this option and I could not find any. They show the new ML stereo (no tape) but no shot of the middle console lifted exposing the aux cable. My understanding is that it is the exact location of the IS models, which would be the at the bottom of the glove box facing the rear of the car.

You would need for a 2010 owner or find a dealer with an actual picture of the car showing this, just not "stock lexus" photos to show this feature. Or look at pics of a IS/ES/GS/LS I believe they have the same set up.

Do a search for ipod installation and you will see a plethora of folks like myself, johnnycake and many many more who installed the Vais iPod unit in the middle console in the exact location.

The last IS250 loaner car I drove had the aux cable plug in at the EXACT location where the lexus dealer who installed mine put it. Do a search, you will find loads of pics. Most people run the Vais unit behind their head unit or by the heated seats control module and run the ipod cable through the middle console or the glove box.

Here is a pic of a 2010 IS that shows the location if that is what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 SC430 iPod Connection Pics - Please-lexusipod2010.jpg  

Last edited by scdroptop; 12-29-09 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 08:24 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Checked lexus.com and new dealers for pics of any 2010 showing this option and I could not find any. They show the new ML stereo (no tape) but no shot of the middle console lifted exposing the aux cable. My understanding is that it is the exact location of the IS models, which would be the at the bottom of the glove box facing the rear of the car.

You would need for a 2010 owner or find a dealer with an actual picture of the car showing this, just not "stock lexus" photos to show this feature. Or look at pics of a IS/ES/GS/LS I believe they have the same set up.

Do a search for ipod installation and you will see a plethora of folks like myself, johnnycake and many many more who installed the Vais iPod unit in the middle console in the exact location.

The last IS250 loaner car I drove had the aux cable plug in at the EXACT location where the lexus dealer who installed mine put it. Do a search, you will find loads of pics. Most people run the Vais unit behind their head unit or by the heated seats control module and run the ipod cable through the middle console or the glove box.

Here is a pic of a 2010 IS that shows the location if that is what you are looking for.

Thanks, I have gone with the VAIS SLU unit with a iSimple cable that works for audio as well as charges the iPhone/iTouch. Of course I also have the 3.5 aux as well. Since it is used for an iPhone the cable normally hangs out of the center console. I was trying to see how Lexus allowed for that cable to hang out of the center console or does Lexus expect the iPhone to remain in the center console rather than hang out. Since the SLU (for 2004 SC) is in Simple mode it is best out of the center console for iPod and iPhone use. The iSimple cable (or use the VAIS Tech SLI cable with the SLU) is thick enough to rub when the console lid is closed. I was trying to see if Lexus had added a "groove" for the cable to hand out while the console lid is closed. A picture of the SC430 center console would probably show me what Lexus has done to solve the cable hanging out "problem". Before I start cutting out a groove in the console lid or at the lip of the console I thought I would see what the 2010 approach was.

I found no pics of the 2010 online and my local dealer is only ordering 2010 SC430s when somone has purchased one.

So a pic of the cable and where the cable exits the center console would be GREAT.

Last edited by SCRXOwner; 12-29-09 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:50 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Ask your local dealer to get pictures of it. He ought to have some connections. They may already have a service manual which might show it also.
Old 12-29-09, 04:04 PM
scdroptop

Mine is hanging out of my center console and just enough to pinch the cable and close just fine. I have done the same thing with my 2003 FX35 that I added iPod to as well. My 09 FX35 has a groove but not enough for my Aux, my iPod cable and the charger cord, so it is pinched as well.

Before you start cutting, try it as it is...you might be surprised. If you do cut, maybe start real conservatrively with a hand dremel to make a half moon cut out. You might be surprised that it fits just fine. I have the same Vais unit as well with the new cord that charges. No problems in my 05.
Old 12-31-09, 10:51 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Default Thanks

Thanks scdroptop!!

I wrapped both the iSimple cable and the 3.5 with a small amount of electrical tape to protect the cables. There are not sharp corners so I am hoping that there will be no long term problems. So far so good...

I don't think the center console lid snaps all the way but that is not a big deal.

I may wait to see what the cable looks like in a couple of weeks before I notch or grove the console lid or console lip.

I guess I was trying to see what Lexus did for 2010 and maybe a new part from Lexus would solve the problem.

I do not want to have a jagged cut left with a new notch. Nice and neat would be the goal.

The VAIS Tech SLU with the iSimple cable for charging works great so far.
Old 12-31-09, 11:40 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Well if you do decide to cut a notch or hole for the cables, you can always pick up a correctly sized rubber grommet for the opening, cut it in half and glue it in. Or drill a hole lower in the plastic and use the whole grommet. This way you hide the cut plastic and protect the cables from its rough edges at the same time.
Old 12-31-09, 12:14 PM
scdroptop

Good news on your cable and SLU working great. I would test it out for a while without cutting and see how you like it. Like I said, I've had three cars now with pinched cords and they all work fine...some of them even el-cheapos from target and eBay (chargers) that have pinched cords from the center console and all is good. Personally, I'd forego cutting any day to a pinched cord, but that's just me.