SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SCheduled maintenance, do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 09:35 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SCheduled maintenance, do?

I have always done my maintenance according to what the dealership recommends. I was curious if I am being overly cautious, or if you all also do the scheduled maintenance.
Old 08-31-09, 11:18 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

I was just curious if you do the Lexus recommended services, or if you go in and get basics done.
Old 08-31-09, 12:26 PM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless if it's a major service, I'd say take your car elsewhere to get the basics done, such as oil change, tire rotation, brakes, etc. to save you some money. A lot of times when they say "recommended service," it really means you don't need it, and that's what dealerships don't tell you. Consider dealerships as stealerships

Last edited by lyyca; 08-31-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-31-09, 02:08 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lyyca
Unless if it's a major service, I'd say take your car elsewhere to get the basics done, such as oil change, tire rotation, brakes, etc. to save you some money. A lot of times when they say "recommended service," it really means you don't need it, and that's what dealerships don't tell you. Consider dealerships as stealerships
I go to a Toyota dealer, saves me 30% especially on oil changes and brakes. Any problem with the top, only a Lexus dealer can solve.
Old 08-31-09, 06:49 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Interesting. Thanks guys. At MB they offer what they call a "Basic" service.. which is a stripped down "must" list that gets done.

Lexus doesn't offer such a thing, not at the dealers I went to anyways. I was curious if I could just say "just an oil change" and be OK. Or if I should stick to their services.

I don't want to hurt the car... or lose out if something happens, and have them not warranty work cause I didn't do what they "recommended".
Old 09-28-09, 02:22 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Any other opinions?? Do you guys go to an independent or to Lexus?
Old 09-28-09, 02:51 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

toyota oil change = $30. lexus oil change = $100+. same oil. same filter. it's not rocket science. a monkey would have a hard time messing it up. so i think it's a no brainer to go to toyota for basic maintenance. if i ever have anything major, i'll go to lexus.
The following users liked this post:
ivanj (04-25-19)
Old 09-28-09, 05:07 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2002 SC430 was due for the 90K mile timing belt maintenance. I took it to the local Toyota dealer who quoted $640, to the local garage ($620) and to the local Lexus dealer ($570); plus the Lexus dealer gave me a free loaner car overnight, washed the car and vacuumed before I picked it up. Don't rule out the Lexus dealer thinking they are automatically the highest cost. I do go to Firestone for oil changes and tires since they send me great coupons.
The following users liked this post:
ivanj (04-25-19)
Old 09-28-09, 05:37 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
toyota oil change = $30. lexus oil change = $100+. same oil. same filter. it's not rocket science. a monkey would have a hard time messing it up. so i think it's a no brainer to go to toyota for basic maintenance. if i ever have anything major, i'll go to lexus.
+1 jason, I've been using the Toyota dealer for two years now, basic PM's really save you money !
Old 09-30-09, 10:54 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jason702
Thanks. I am gonna definitely get prices from Toyota in the future.

But with each 5k service, do you just get oil changes? Or do you follow what Lexus would tell you to do? That is what I am confused about.

If you go to Prestigelexus.com and go to their "Service" tag, they rundown what they recommend besides oil changes.
Here is the link:
http://www.prestigelexus.com/?http:/...591&wmode=true
They recommend a $429 service. I am curious if all that stuff is necessary, or if I can just stick with oil changes.
Old 09-30-09, 11:01 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lyyca
What is considered a Major service? The 15k intervals?
Old 10-01-09, 07:36 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "major" service intervals are at 30,000 miles - 30K, 60K, 90K, etc...
Old 10-01-09, 04:31 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

It's funny, in competitive market places where there are multiple Lexus dealers, Toyota Dealers and non-franchised luxury dealers (In Dallas we have three major non-Lexus brand, but Lexus-only service dealers) prices can sway A LOT!

I only pay $50 for an oil change at Sewell Lexus. Toyota is like $39, but no loaner you have to wait in a crummy waiting room and no perks. Personally I think it's every bit worth the extra $11 for the Lexus experience. Now if it was a $100...FORGET IT!

Major service is another thing...I went to a Toyota dealer and pieced together my 30k service between a little DIY and the Toyota and Lexus Dealers and did it for about 1/3rd of the cost.

Even if you have NO SKILLS, you can still drop in an air filter, a/c filter, you know? Sometimes dealers charge up to $99 for a a/c filter, and it costs $15 on eBay and takes five minutes to install.
Old 10-01-09, 09:18 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MDames2
The "major" service intervals are at 30,000 miles - 30K, 60K, 90K, etc...
Ahh thank you. I thought it was every 15k. So I guess besides the 30k intervals I will do some local shopping! Thanks!
Old 10-01-09, 09:20 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scdroptop
It's funny, in competitive market places where there are multiple Lexus dealers, Toyota Dealers and non-franchised luxury dealers (In Dallas we have three major non-Lexus brand, but Lexus-only service dealers) prices can sway A LOT!

I only pay $50 for an oil change at Sewell Lexus. Toyota is like $39, but no loaner you have to wait in a crummy waiting room and no perks. Personally I think it's every bit worth the extra $11 for the Lexus experience. Now if it was a $100...FORGET IT!

Major service is another thing...I went to a Toyota dealer and pieced together my 30k service between a little DIY and the Toyota and Lexus Dealers and did it for about 1/3rd of the cost.

Even if you have NO SKILLS, you can still drop in an air filter, a/c filter, you know? Sometimes dealers charge up to $99 for a a/c filter, and it costs $15 on eBay and takes five minutes to install.
I totally here you and completely agree. I just wasn't sure what interval markers were considered major and what shouldn't be avoided getting done at the dealer. I am hoping that the 30k major service intervals is correct and mostly do just oil changes in between.

Quick Reply: SCheduled maintenance, do?