SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New 20" wheels w/pics Need help with PSI!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 10:40 AM
CharliChic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 20" wheels w/pics Need help with PSI!

Hi Everyone... Its been some time since I have posted anything but I have been lurking around the forum here and there. I decided to buy a set of 20" wheels and tires, the tires are Toyo Proxes-4 255/35/20 and the wheels are 20x8.5 with an offset of 45. Anyways, I cant seem to get the tire pressure right cause my TPM wont go off. The light comes on and stays on (no sound ). Just wondering what i should pick for the psi. I purchased from private owner not from a store (just in case someone suggest I go back to the store...lol) I have had no issues with rubbing. Lastly, should I change to nitrogen in my tires? ( don't know much about it) I have included pictures for your pleasure. I will leave you guys with some food for thought.

Without pain, there would be no real appreciation for when life offers pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails New 20" wheels w/pics  Need help with PSI!-430newrims.jpeg   New 20" wheels w/pics  Need help with PSI!-430rims.jpeg  

Last edited by CharliChic; 07-16-09 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added a question
Old 07-16-09, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

did you transfer the tpms from your stock wheels to these aftermarket wheels? do they fit correctly? if so then as long as you have normal pressure like 33+ psi then there should be no light

forget about nitrogen, i always think it's overrated
Old 07-16-09, 12:47 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
did you transfer the tpms from your stock wheels to these aftermarket wheels? do they fit correctly? if so then as long as you have normal pressure like 33+ psi then there should be no light

+1 on the nitrogen, my dealer wanted $20/tire for it, talked to some people and they told me to save the cash
Old 07-16-09, 05:26 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

I have nitrogen in my tires, and don't dislike it but havent noticed a difference. I got mine done for free when i got an oil change.
Old 07-16-09, 06:42 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

check to see if all your valve stems have the aluminum sleeves. you might not even the the TPMS installed on your wheels
Old 07-17-09, 04:14 AM
CharliChic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl

Well they were transferred over. I kept getting a very low tire the first day and had to go back to the place that installed them. They said the sensors needed new hardware...whatever that means and did it for free. I will go back and see if my nice smile can get me more help....ill let you know what happens.
Old 07-17-09, 04:16 AM
CharliChic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS_250
check to see if all your valve stems have the aluminum sleeves. you might not even the the TPMS installed on your wheels
All I can say is Hey , I am a girl. I will ask someone cause I don't want to tell a lie. LOL
Old 07-17-09, 04:19 AM
CharliChic
Driver School Candidate

Geez ... I guess there's a reason men are on this earth.... Just kidding,sort of....
Old 07-17-09, 06:10 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Would you consider disabling the TPMS?
Old 07-17-09, 07:55 PM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Your new wheels are most likely not tpms compatible, so they need wheel bands or valve stem adopters to secure the tire sensors inside the wheels.

If your tire guys can't make the tpms work, just disable it as Brah Pitt suggested.
I think you better put 40psi to protect your 20".
Old 07-18-09, 08:22 AM
CharliChic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by talwang
Your new wheels are most likely not tpms compatible, so they need wheel bands or valve stem adopters to secure the tire sensors inside the wheels.

If your tire guys can't make the tpms work, just disable it as Brah Pitt suggested.
I think you better put 40psi to protect your 20".
I have good news .. I got them fixed without going to the dealer I will need to most likely make a new thread because I went a step further and asked the guy if he could give me the procedure he used to fix the problem. He said that one of my sensor was giving a error message. He thought at first prior to this it was a broken/bad sensor but it turned out that 1 sensor unpaired itself from my car(weird). I have about 8 or 9 pages with diagrams and trouble code tables that explain how you can register or reset sensor with a scan tool. Let me give credit to the "he" who is my ex-husband (maybe that's why I said my above statement about men...which I truly take back now ) This tool can be found at places like Tires Plus and other similar places. He gave my a complete copy of the procedure so I will share with my friends here. Also, I really should do a write-up about roof malfunction cause I had a problem a month ago but was able to figure out what the problem was and did the fix myself. It was a cable pulley and its not the one that someone else showed pics on here before it's well hidden and on the drivers side. I used a body clip and JB weld to fix myself ...lol Has been working great without any problems.
Old 07-18-09, 10:56 AM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

TPMS is PIA for sure.
Although it hasn't happened to me yet, yet I have heard ppl said the sensors need to be re-registered to the TPMS ecu using a Lexus hand-held device after a tire rotation.

So you've found another fix for the roof?