SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

FYI Windstop/wind deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 05:03 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FYI Windstop/wind deflectors

Not sure if this should go here or in good buys.
If anyone is looking for windstops/wind deflector for their SC430s, I just got one from a seller on ebay. Buy it now was $325. Got it yesterday, and put it on looks and fits real nice. Don't know how (newbie) to put links to site but the item #s are:
250419502381 this is a bid starting @ $99.00 and a buy it now price of $325 (this is how I got mine) and the other is 360152199543 with a buy it now price of $345.
Their e-mail address is dfawceta@sfu.ca Dan Fawcett
Old 05-07-09, 06:55 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought same one 9/22/08 from same vendor was $275.00 Free shipping . In fact had posted several pictures of it installed [ Do a search ] The vendor had a make offer window I think . In any event I love mine and IT works great and looks great.

Buddy
Old 05-07-09, 02:35 PM
Dottiebubb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine from him also for $275 Delivered. I agree-looks great and works great!

Bob
Old 05-08-09, 05:06 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

I guess I put it it in the right place. Looks like I should have bought mine last year. Althought I did miss out on one two weeks ago that went for $330. (glad I did) I just saw an ad for lovethedrive, to the right on this page and watched the video. His price there was $325 + $29.99 for shipping, so I'm still happy with my buy. Saved shipping at least. Now if I can just find some struts that work with lowered springs, that I don't have to adjust, and cost an arm & a leg, I'm home free.

Ed
Old 05-08-09, 06:16 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
I guess I put it it in the right place. Looks like I should have bought mine last year. Althought I did miss out on one two weeks ago that went for $330. (glad I did) I just saw an ad for lovethedrive, to the right on this page and watched the video. His price there was $325 + $29.99 for shipping, so I'm still happy with my buy. Saved shipping at least. Now if I can just find some struts that work with lowered springs, that I don't have to adjust, and cost an arm & a leg, I'm home free.

Ed
Lovethedrive is the name of the company danfacett is his eamil address name
Old 05-08-09, 07:23 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

so, does the windscreen really knock out the cabin windiness?
most times it's not bad, but on windy days, even with the windows up, there's lots on turbulence in the cab.
any troubles with the windscreen install and removal?
and does leaving the windscreen in place with the top up make it difficult to use the rear view mirror? just wondering. thanks.

jimmer
Old 05-08-09, 08:43 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

The answer are yes . The windscreen I leave in place all the time. There is no problem seeing through rear view window The mesh is invisible. The car is quiet windows up or windows down. If your top is down you can fold the windscreen down . You can put the top up or down with windscreen up or down , You just cant fold the windscreen down if the top is up nor can you fold it up if it is allready down . So if windscreen is folded down and you put the top up you cant flip the windscreen to the open position. I sometimes fold the windscreen down before putting up the top so I can if I want to leave packages in rear seat then the windscreen is like a security cover. Hides whats in the back seat

Buddy
Old 05-08-09, 11:13 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

thanks, mrblister.

I'm beginning to think the screen is better than originally thought.

how often have you needed to disassemble the screen? ever?
and no problems removing and replacing the rear head rest piece?
any bad wear marks were the straps are and the metal side strut supports?

jimmer
Old 05-08-09, 01:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimmer!
thanks, mrblister.

jimmer
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ght=windscreen

THe link above shows pict of my install. I would suggest you read the entire thread. I tell how to make up some styrofoam pads so the windscreen does
not make any marks on the boot If the link does not work then copy and past
it or search windscreen.

Buddy
Old 05-08-09, 02:11 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

I can't answer all your questions as well as mrblister, cause I just installed mine Wednesday night. There was a video here on this in one of his ads just this morning. I saw it then, and it was very good. It took me about 15 minutes cause I just jumped in and didn't really go over the three pages of pictures and instructions real well. The headrest backs come off real easy just lift up and out, just snap back in. If mrblister suggests styrofoam so you don't mar the rear surface, keep some of the packing that comes with the wind deflector. I'm going to go home and get mine of of the box.
Old 05-08-09, 04:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I used black styrofoam like foam that came in a computer box or a printer box as part of the shipping material.

I cut a square of it about 2 inches to 2 1/2 inches square . I then just rested it underneath the rubber covered supports on the windscreen. It keeps the windscreen from making any marks and actually raises it up a bit which lets me put my seat back a bit more so I dont hit teh windscreen. As I said I leave mine on year round . Looks great and I can keep things in the back seat that no one can see if i leave the car with teh top up.

If the strofoams starts to compress more I just pop in another set. I also have used same styrofoam to keep the attqaching straps from chaffing the leather, Its probably not neccessery but I figure its good protection.

Buddy
Old 05-08-09, 05:14 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimmer!
thanks, mrblister.

jimmer
Hi Jimmer
I leave the windscreen in place year round. I dont find any reason to take it off. If i did it just takes 3 min to remove and store in the bag it came with.

You dont have to remove the front headrests at all

The rear headrests you just snap out from the back and lift up remove the black strap and anchor and then snap the rear headrest flap back in place,
It actually pivots up from gripping the bottom of the flap and just pulling it up
there are two little prods thet line up so you cant brake anything.

There are no wear marks on the vinyl boot and there are no wear marks where the seat anchors go as well. I did make up and use small square styrofoam pads as you can see in my posted pics. I also made extra styrofaom pads and I store these between the straps that attach to the bottom seat so the leather never comes in contact with the medal anchors
If i ever need to replace one of teh styrofoam pads I just swap them from the extra ones i have in storage behind the anchors between the leather and the webbing. No wear marks anywhere.

Buddy

Buddy
Old 05-09-09, 06:58 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

thanks for the advice, guys.
I forgot that the screen folds up and allow rear seat access.
the only thing I need to think about is that I use the rear seat for golf clubs (1-2 times a month).
not sure if the screen is out of the way enough to allow the full bag to fit, without
dinging straps, etc.

jimmer
Old 05-09-09, 07:34 AM
tawarmbrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess I am going to give another opinion....and it is just that, my opinion....I also bought one of these and put it on my car....and did not like it...if fact just came back to Tennessee for the summer and left it in the garage in Florida.....when I installed mine I felt like the width was too long and it interfered with putting my seat back far enought...I know it is not much shorter, but just enough to bother me....and I guess more important bothered my wife more....the other thing was when I hooked up from the back, I felt like the straps from that go over the headrest was too long by a inch or two, which made it not set level on the side....not that it did not work, but I have one on a miata which I have had for ten years...which I have never had to take off and feel like worked better.....guess I would have rather paid a little more and gotten one which included maybe some rails or something that the screen slid into...like on the clk if you have ever seen one...but can not find anything like this in America.....
like I said, this is just my opinion....it is made out of very nice materials...just like the one on the miata and it has lasted ten years with no problem

Last edited by tawarmbrod; 05-09-09 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling