SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 04:27 PM
RZPhyxit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Confused about the process of New TPMS

I am the original owner of my 2002 SC430. After going through 4 sets of Bridgestone RF (originals + 3 sets); I finally opted for Michelin non-RF in January 2017 during a COSTCO sale with free mount/balance. One of my old tires had a slow leak so the solid light would come on, but go off temporarily when filled.
COSTCO recommended I get new TPMS since the originals were 15 years old. This is longer than the expected lithium battery life. I only had 93K mileage in 15 years. The though is while the tires were being removed from the rims; however, I was told only the Lexus dealer carries the parts, reprogramming process, etc.
After they mounted and balanced the tires, the TPMS dash light never came on, until now: 10 months later. It is on solid. I checked each tire; none was below 1- 2 lbs. of the 33 psi recommended. Even though I filled each to 33 psi. the light stays on solid. My fear is at their age, if I replace 1 (how much service cost to test and replace 1 at a time?) I would quite quickly probably each of the others replaced soon. I am in need of rotating, balancing and checking the alignment so I thought I should do the TPMS at the same time.
So my question is: At 15 y.o. replace all 4 at the same time? Does this automatically involve "reprogramming"? Any experience with where to buy them other than the Lexus dealer? OEM vs. aftermarket experience? Can a mechanic or alignment facility perform this with special "machinery"?
As a female, I feel more at risk at being oversold, price gouged. thanks to all who belong to this very helpful forum.
Old 10-25-17, 04:36 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by RZPhyxit
I am the original owner of my 2002 SC430. After going through 4 sets of Bridgestone RF (originals + 3 sets); I finally opted for Michelin non-RF in January 2017 during a COSTCO sale with free mount/balance. One of my old tires had a slow leak so the solid light would come on, but go off temporarily when filled.
COSTCO recommended I get new TPMS since the originals were 15 years old. This is longer than the expected lithium battery life. I only had 93K mileage in 15 years. The though is while the tires were being removed from the rims; however, I was told only the Lexus dealer carries the parts, reprogramming process, etc.
After they mounted and balanced the tires, the TPMS dash light never came on, until now: 10 months later. It is on solid. I checked each tire; none was below 1- 2 lbs. of the 33 psi recommended. Even though I filled each to 33 psi. the light stays on solid. My fear is at their age, if I replace 1 (how much service cost to test and replace 1 at a time?) I would quite quickly probably each of the others replaced soon. I am in need of rotating, balancing and checking the alignment so I thought I should do the TPMS at the same time.
So my question is: At 15 y.o. replace all 4 at the same time? Does this automatically involve "reprogramming"? Any experience with where to buy them other than the Lexus dealer? OEM vs. aftermarket experience? Can a mechanic or alignment facility perform this with special "machinery"?
As a female, I feel more at risk at being oversold, price gouged. thanks to all who belong to this very helpful forum.
First of all, Welcome to CL and second of all, being a female does not mean you will be oversold. It happens to anyone who is not informed. Arm yourself with knowledge and you will control the situation.

If you know how to operate a computer, read this thread and learn how to do it yourself. You purchase the TPMS sensor, they install and you program. Are you up for it?

if so, read on...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...02-2006-a.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-25-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 05:36 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Since I do not have run flats if one of my sensors failed on the SC I'd perform the TPMS mod documented in this forum stickies to defeat the system and check the air pressure manually every month or two like I have done for 40+ years. If I decided to replace the TPMS sensors I'd be concerned about their manufacture date. I'm wondering if the existing stock of sensors at this point is 5-7 years old, or if these sensors are still currently being manufactured with fresh batteries, how to verify that you are purchasing a "fresh" sensor.
The following users liked this post:
JDaveSC430 (10-26-17)
Old 10-26-17, 11:21 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RZPhyxit
So my question is: At 15 y.o. replace all 4 at the same time? Does this automatically involve "reprogramming"? Any experience with where to buy them other than the Lexus dealer? OEM vs. aftermarket experience? .
if you want the TPMS functionality like I did and you do not want to do the programming on your own, here is an in between solution that I used. Buy OEM Lexus parts from an online store. Red Blue Gold White sensors are needed. I bought from Belle Lexus in Scottsdale through eBay. Note the sensor codes on the wrappers. Have Costco install the new sensors for you. Then go to a Lexus dealer and ask them to reprogram the car to accept the new OEM sensors and show them the sensor codes that you have. The dealer should charge about 130 to 135 for labor and that is it. The parts cost should be in the 240 area for all four. And Costco should not charge you more than 15 per wheel for the sensor install.
Old 10-26-17, 11:50 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Since I do not have run flats if one of my sensors failed on the SC I'd perform the TPMS mod documented in this forum stickies to defeat the system and check the air pressure manually every month or two like I have done for 40+ years. If I decided to replace the TPMS sensors I'd be concerned about their manufacture date. I'm wondering if the existing stock of sensors at this point is 5-7 years old, or if these sensors are still currently being manufactured with fresh batteries, how to verify that you are purchasing a "fresh" sensor.
if you purchase a Toyota TPMS sensor, the package has a date...mine was new.
I believe the aftermarket sensor I purchased on Rockauto also had a date, but I cannot say for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (10-27-17)
Old 10-27-17, 12:30 PM
Thaidoan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here the cheaper route:
Fullele Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS with 4 External Sensors (0~6 bar/0~87 psi)
Amazon Amazon

Get that and replace, our outdated and expensive TPMS. This will give you the actual PSI reading and exactly which tires is low/high PSI.

After you installed it, just disable Lexus’ TPMS system. I recently switched to this and can’t be happier.
Old 04-01-21, 04:54 PM
Lexsalot
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 thru 2005 SC430 TPMS Sensors

Originally Posted by cdog
Just purchased a new set of 20's (Asanti's) for my 2002. Would like to have sensors installed. Can anyone tell me if I can use my old ones and put in new?

If I have to buy new where is a good place to buy?

I have to make a decision quick as the wheels come in on Friday.

Thanks
Aloha anyone dumbfounded by your TPMS Sensors. Today I finally learned why Firestone & Goodyear tire shops were unable to program the new aftermarket Sensors I purchased & had installed. Yesterday my brand new Autel Maxitpms 501 tool arrived. I read the Sensors with the tool with ease. Then attached the tool to the car using obd2 port. After several attempts with the same results I read a small banner at the top of the tool that said unable to communicate with vehicle. I then saw on another screen that said the test vehicle is a 2006 thru 2010 sc430. Well I just figured I could update the tool. I registered the tool then figured before I go further I'd contact Autel tech support. I was informed that only the Toyota or Lexus Dealer can program the color coded tpms sensor locations. Wow what a disappointment. So the $225 tool was useless, Great tool but I have no need for it now. Sending back to Amazon. Worse the dealership will charge approximately $160 to program the $40 set of Sensors. No I'm cutting my losses & disconnecting the system, what a total waste of time, money & energy.....
Old 04-01-21, 05:08 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexsalot
Aloha anyone dumbfounded by your TPMS Sensors. Today I finally learned why Firestone & Goodyear tire shops were unable to program the new aftermarket Sensors I purchased & had installed. Yesterday my brand new Autel Maxitpms 501 tool arrived. I read the Sensors with the tool with ease. Then attached the tool to the car using obd2 port. After several attempts with the same results I read a small banner at the top of the tool that said unable to communicate with vehicle. I then saw on another screen that said the test vehicle is a 2006 thru 2010 sc430. Well I just figured I could update the tool. I registered the tool then figured before I go further I'd contact Autel tech support. I was informed that only the Toyota or Lexus Dealer can program the color coded tpms sensor locations. Wow what a disappointment. So the $225 tool was useless, Great tool but I have no need for it now. Sending back to Amazon. Worse the dealership will charge approximately $160 to program the $40 set of Sensors. No I'm cutting my losses & disconnecting the system, what a total waste of time, money & energy.....
I don’t know, you or me, who is luckier? I can program the TPMS sensors with TechStream but I can not disable the warning light by disconnecting the cable. That means I have to install new sensors, no way around. The 06+ SC don’t behave like the 02-05 SC.
Old 04-01-21, 05:28 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

sorry for your troubles...
BTW, do you have a 2002 SC430?
did you have the four color TPMS sensors?

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-01-21 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-01-21, 06:29 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I think he was snookered right from the beginning when he purchased aftermarket sensors. AFAIK , the only sensors that work with the system are the four separately coloured ones. I didn't see his year. I know the system changes around '06. He says his tool is registered for '06-'10 but i'm not sure if he says his car falls into that group.
Old 04-01-21, 06:37 PM
Lexsalot
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timeless Luxury & Dependability

Aloha Gmansc
Now 29 days shy of my 62nd birthday I can appreciate this Fine Luxury Land Yacht so much more than I may have 5 or 10 years ago. I look at this vehicle, her name is Lexie as a Refined Educated & Sophisticated Woman. It's true, I think my Wonderful Wife is Jealous sometimes. Last night I did what I've done a few times after driving home from work; during the past month that I purchased Lexie; I dried the rain water off her & spray waxed her. I do the same for my two Furry Children as I would do for any animal especially a Beautiful Thoroughbred Horse. I have had many many vehicles yet I can only remember three vehicles that I took the Best care of: yes Lexie is one, the second the Beautiful Cadillac Blue & White Harley Davidson King of the Highway Motorcycle I was assigned as a New York City Police Department Highway Patrolman & my own Harley Sportster. So I'd say we are both lucky & Blessed to have a relationship with this Chariot. I believe I disposed of the old sensors but if I remember correctly the colors of the sensors are painted on the inside of the rims. If that is the case I will let you know.
Mahalo & God Bless..
Old 04-01-21, 07:33 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Aloha Gmansc
Now 29 days shy of my 62nd birthday I can appreciate this Fine Luxury Land Yacht so much more than I may have 5 or 10 years ago. I look at this vehicle, her name is Lexie as a Refined Educated & Sophisticated Woman. It's true, I think my Wonderful Wife is Jealous sometimes. Last night I did what I've done a few times after driving home from work; during the past month that I purchased Lexie; I dried the rain water off her & spray waxed her. I do the same for my two Furry Children as I would do for any animal especially a Beautiful Thoroughbred Horse. I have had many many vehicles yet I can only remember three vehicles that I took the Best care of: yes Lexie is one, the second the Beautiful Cadillac Blue & White Harley Davidson King of the Highway Motorcycle I was assigned as a New York City Police Department Highway Patrolman & my own Harley Sportster. So I'd say we are both lucky & Blessed to have a relationship with this Chariot. I believe I disposed of the old sensors but if I remember correctly the colors of the sensors are painted on the inside of the rims. If that is the case I will let you know.
Mahalo & God Bless..
Aloha,
You are the second person who named the SC “Lexie”. The other Lexie belongs to a female club member. There is a Lexi on the board and she having problem with rat infestation. I named mine “Black Panther”. She gives me joy every time I get in and crank the engine.

Last edited by GmanSC; 04-01-21 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-01-21, 08:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Lexalot, it sounds like you have a car that falls in the 2002 - 2005 model. You can purchase the Lexus TPS from Rockauto or other vendors for about $60 each. Then pick up a OBDII tool originally designed by Toyota called Techstream for about $25 to $50 on one of the internet sites. This is a great tool for folks like us. It will register the sensors into the system in about 5 minutes total. There are a few threads about this great tool and how to register the TPS, worth every penny. Good luck and let us know if you run into any issues.
Old 04-02-21, 06:52 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

The 06 still uses the color coded sensors. The change took place in 07.
Old 04-02-21, 07:12 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Lexsalot

Here are the 4 TPMS sensors and their part numbers that you need to order for your SC. 42607-24011,42607-24021, 42607-24031 and 42607-24041 you can get the set on Ebay for $317. You can get the old part numbers which are 24010,24020,24030 and 24040 cheaper but these are the older sensors and the batteries may be older as well and not last as long.

Dennis

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors