SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Purple Royal Max ATF!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 06:04 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Purple Royal Max ATF!

I just had this put in at express tires.. (2 Quarts and a half)

And Mannn... Big diffrence.. you cant even feel the shifter cause it shifts so smooth..

Another +1 for the purple!!
Old 01-25-09, 09:30 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Should be cautioned as just because you feel a positive difference does not necessarily mean it is for the better in the long run. As our transmissions do not have any issues with premature life expectancy the Toyota stuff is working pretty good. Does not mean the opposite either. Now keep in mind that I am all for synthetic oil, and other mods. Just keeping it in perspective as the Toyota fluid is pretty affordable.
Old 01-25-09, 08:07 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

True.. but.. why would it not be good in the long run?
Old 01-25-09, 08:27 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahstyles
True.. but.. why would it not be good in the long run?
Years back many tried various brands of synthetic and other ATF fluids in their Lexus trans and received leaks, clutch failures, etc. A few of us remember those days.

Now, Royal Purple does state on it's site (still?) that it's MAX ATF is compatible with Toyota Type IV.

I am aware of a few owners using RP Max in their trans. So far no tranny failures or premature leaks-that they admit to at least and the Toyota stuff is pretty cheap.

Just that Toyota ATF is very much proven with these trans going an easy 500k at times which is outstanding for an auto. Royal Purple does make good stuff, but so does Toyota which is much cheaper. Which will last longer, not sure.

Now if someone had a temp gauge on their trans and tried both in their trans, that would be great.

The way I look at it, I know synthetic oil is proven. I also know that a top quality German brake fluid is proven. Those I use. I just have not seen the proof that RP is better in our trans vs the Toyota stuff.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-25-09 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-25-09, 08:42 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though you drained your tranny. It didnt get majority of the fluid out. There is a pocket in the tranny, where there is fluid trapped. So now you have 2 different types of fluid in there.

Im all for Synthetic, as I used Mobil1 oil and diff. I would only buy Toyota ATF. My buddies dad works on Toyota's as well having them. And he vouches for Toyota's ATF.

But if it feels better, then no need to worry. Just do regular Tranny drain/fill when you change your oil. That way, you get the old out and the new in. Then eventually you will have nothing but Purple stuff in there
Old 01-25-09, 09:32 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

How much is a quart toyota atf ? and it it Synthetic? RP says that there max ATF runs cooler then any other atf so it makes the tranny last 50% longer then if you where to use a regular one..

Oh and i didnt know they had.. premium brake fluid? i wish RP had break fluid and power stering fluid.. cuz my power stering.. is only giving me a work out to my arms.. cause for som reason ther eharder to turn then the nissan versa i rented at enterprise
Old 10-29-16, 04:40 AM
5710802jdd
Driver School Candidate

Default 1991 Lexus LS400 Royal Purple

I change the transmission fluid to Royal Purple and change the filter. And also change the engine oil to Royal Purple. The car has 250,000 miles but it ran like it was new. Let me know if you get the same results.
Old 10-29-16, 04:42 AM
5710802jdd
Driver School Candidate

Now I have a 1997 lexus es300 and I'm tryingthe same thing. I'll let you know how it goes. Car has 152000 miles.
Old 10-29-16, 07:56 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahstyles
I just had this put in at express tires.. (2 Quarts and a half)

And Mannn... Big diffrence.. you cant even feel the shifter cause it shifts so smooth..

Another +1 for the purple!!

You need 9 quarts to do a full trans fluid change correctly. T-IV is not synthetic, I am also a synthetic guy, however I stay with T-IV because of how well it has worked and some people have had issues when using other than T-IV.
Best way is to flush from the Radiator trans cooler input side,this way your are getting all the fluid out of the trans. I have flushed mine twice, I have 78,000 on the car and the trans is smooth as can be.
Fluid stays nice and pink. I get T-IV for $5.00/qt from my Toyota parts bud. $45.00 plus your time of about 30 minutes. This is cheap insurance

Last edited by MH6; 10-29-16 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 08:04 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Years back many tried various brands of synthetic and other ATF fluids in their Lexus trans and received leaks, clutch failures, etc. A few of us remember those days.

Now, Royal Purple does state on it's site (still?) that it's MAX ATF is compatible with Toyota Type IV.

I am aware of a few owners using RP Max in their trans. So far no tranny failures or premature leaks-that they admit to at least and the Toyota stuff is pretty cheap.

Just that Toyota ATF is very much proven with these trans going an easy 500k at times which is outstanding for an auto. Royal Purple does make good stuff, but so does Toyota which is much cheaper. Which will last longer, not sure.

Now if someone had a temp gauge on their trans and tried both in their trans, that would be great.

The way I look at it, I know synthetic oil is proven. I also know that a top quality German brake fluid is proven. Those I use. I just have not seen the proof that RP is better in our trans vs the Toyota stuff.

Keep us posted on how it works out.
I would agree
Old 10-30-16, 06:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I have been using Valvoline Maxlife synthetic for years and have no issues at all...and the price is right.

Old 10-31-16, 10:56 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have been using Valvoline Maxlife synthetic for years and have no issues at all...and the price is right.
Really? I always took you to be an OEM guy. If you use non oem and are happy, i'd probably consider it. (Or at least not mock it)

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 10-31-16 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-31-16, 11:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar
Really? I always took you to be an OEM guy. If you use non oem and are happy, i'd probably consider it. (Or at least not mock it)
i use some OEM but when it comes to mechanical, I have no issues using aftermarket. I won't spend money on Toyota petroleum products due to cost and it is made by an oil company, not Toyota...I do purchase Toyota oil filters. Valvoline ATF meets or exceeds anything with the Toyota name on it...why spend more money unless you just like the Toyota name on the bottle.
i also use the Valvoline ATF in the Power Steering, because Toyota says it is okay to do so...no issues at all.
when I did the timing belt etc, all of the parts came from Rockauto.com and not OEM.
brake pads, aftermarket...etc.

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-31-16 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 11:57 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

While smoother trans shifting may be nice the bulletproof reliabilty with std lubes would make me not change to synthetic.

more slip is what I would worry about.

seems this has been addressed here long ago.

thats the advantage of the forum.
Old 11-02-16, 11:40 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

i use some OEM but when it comes to mechanical, I have no issues using aftermarket.
I readily agree

I won't spend money on Toyota petroleum products due to cost and it is made by an oil company, not Toyota..
I kinda agree with this. I wouldn't buy Toyota Motor Oil, but since Transmission Fluid is changed so infrequently, and aftermarket has to work with so many different vehicle specs, I opt to go with TOYOTA fluid. Even if the Aftermarket is only 2% (or some other random number) thinner or thicker, I figure there must be some reason Toyota didn't spec it that way.

Another reason is I own a Pontiac Vibe, which is a rebranded Toyota Matrix. The manual says I need to buy GM Type IV trans fluid and not the Dexron that goes in their normal vehicles. I figure if they were close in spec, GM would use their own fluid. Aftermarket brands say they are compatible with multiple manufacturers, but what did they add or take out to make it that way?

I do purchase Toyota oil filters.
I was shocked when I went to Oreilly's and the aftermarket filter for my Lexus was more than the Toyota brand. I take the part number of the filter to my Toyota Dealer and buy my filters there. It turns out Toyota dealers cannot look up Lexus parts, but they can order by part number.

when I did the timing belt etc, all of the parts came from Rockauto.com and not OEM.
In this instance, where the labor & the cost of failure is so high, I would go with OES (Original Equipment Supplier) aka Aisin Seiki Co. I THINK they come off the same production line as the Toyota/Lexus parts but without the dealer markup.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 11-02-16 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Purple Royal Max ATF!