SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Quarter window mod part deux

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 12:35 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Well done Tommy and Ken!
(Glad to hear your hard drive's okay too. )
Old 05-23-08, 05:16 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
Lastly, if you do get them working, don't drop the rear windows with out dropping the fronts or roll the rears up with the front windows up.

This will tear the molding and make the rear windows not seal right.
Typo? That's the only reason I'd be interested in this mod.
Old 05-23-08, 09:29 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

The thing is that the rear windows have a molding, which might be damaged if you roll them down first. What I do is roll down my front windows 1/2 to 3/4 of the way and then lower the back quarters then raise up the fronts again.

It’s just an extra step I take as an precaution, my girlfriend lowered the rear quarters without touching the fronts the other day by accident and nothing happened (nothing tore) but for the long run I wouldn’t want to damage any of the seals/moldings on the car
Old 05-23-08, 12:31 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U guys rock for posting this up for all of us. Always wanted to be able to control the rear windows but wouldn't give Luxlink the money. I'm sure we'll all start seeing SC's cruising with all 4 windows down now.... THANKS!!
Old 05-23-08, 02:02 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write-up Lexiss. I may have to do this. This gives the SC even a MORE sportier look. (with the lid up)

Great Job!!

lar
Old 05-26-08, 07:48 AM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have LuxLink with the rolldown mod, and it was a nice novelty... but one day my top refused to go down. The window rolldown module had failed and wouldn't allow the system to control the rear windows, so couldn't put the top down. I thought about replacing the rolldown module, but thought hard about it and decided not to. The novelty just wasn't worth the inconvenience of manual control -- you see, when I had the rear windows in the unnatural position I couldn't move the top. This because a pain since I usually use my remote to control the top. I won't miss the rear window control.
Old 05-27-08, 02:15 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spinout180
I have LuxLink with the rolldown mod, and it was a nice novelty... but one day my top refused to go down. The window rolldown module had failed and wouldn't allow the system to control the rear windows, so couldn't put the top down. I thought about replacing the rolldown module, but thought hard about it and decided not to. The novelty just wasn't worth the inconvenience of manual control -- you see, when I had the rear windows in the unnatural position I couldn't move the top. This because a pain since I usually use my remote to control the top. I won't miss the rear window control.
I have not heard of any problems arising with this modification. It is a very simple setup, which should not interfere with the top operation/computer.
Over all I think this is one of the best mods for our cars and I would do it again in a heartbeat, I enjoy begin able to have control over all four windows.
Old 04-05-09, 05:46 AM
tingy
Driver School Candidate

does any body know where i can get hold of the relays used as the ebay link no longer works?
Old 04-05-09, 07:05 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are talking about just the relays which the Luxlink uses to control the rear quarter windows, they are just generic roll up modules. In fact, LuxLink just repackages an off-the-shelf model (after doubling the price).
Old 04-05-09, 12:58 PM
tingy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
If you are talking about just the relays which the Luxlink uses to control the rear quarter windows, they are just generic roll up modules. In fact, LuxLink just repackages an off-the-shelf model (after doubling the price).
any suitable relay will do, just need to know where i can purchase them,or any electrical stockest on ebay, been planning this mod for a while, finally got a mate whose handy with wiring to do it for me so just need the relays used. help much appreciated
Old 04-05-09, 01:33 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

you need (2) 4 pole double throw 12vdc relays,

like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RELAY+Socket...QQcmdZViewItem

Originally Posted by tingy
any suitable relay will do, just need to know where i can purchase them,or any electrical stockest on ebay, been planning this mod for a while, finally got a mate whose handy with wiring to do it for me so just need the relays used. help much appreciated
Old 04-06-09, 11:22 AM
tingy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
you need (2) 4 pole double throw 12vdc relays,

like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RELAY+Socket...QQcmdZViewItem
thanks for that mate ive seen relays for sale but wasent sure which spec to buy, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, cant wait to get this mod done
Old 02-21-10, 06:12 PM
justinbig8
Driver School Candidate

Can you explain the wiring at the switch a bit more? I see that there is one wire coming out of each relay for the switch, but then what? Do they go to one post on the switch, and then you ground the other? Sorry, I just want to make sure (since I'm now in my garage almost done with this)
Old 02-23-10, 01:17 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

well you are going to have the two wires coming in from the trunk and you will need to power the switch, I tapped into the 12v outlet in the center console, if you remove the heated seat plastic cover you will see the wires running to the back of the 12v outlet, just tap into that wire and you should be good to go.

That's why you need a momentary switch, the switch will have power running to it at all times via the splice. As you toggle it back and forth it will give power to the relays allowing you to lower or raise the windows.

hope this helps
Old 02-23-10, 04:25 PM
justinbig8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. So I don't need to ground the switch? I'm pretty new at wiring so that "$1000 top computer' is not something I want to replace if i wired this wrong.

Quick Reply: Quarter window mod part deux