SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 HEADER INSTALL THREAD w/PICS, DYNO

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 11:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man, seems like you had a busy day there lee. very nice! you pulled a bit more power on it!!!!

so i guess you are going to get dirty this weekend?
That would be an understatement. Rebuilding a speed sensor and playing with Lexus codes was not on my list but everything worked out fine in the end. Several Evo owners present drooled over the SC. Some nice Evo's there as well including some 470hp examples.

Have to get the head gasket on the 968 finished up first so the headers should be on next week.
Lee
Old 02-03-06, 07:00 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing the details of you escepades. How do you run code checks? What is the Deceleration Sensor-Yaw?
Old 02-03-06, 08:06 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

The yaw sensor is the heart of the Vehicle Skid Control system in the car and is located in the center of the car’s rotational axis. In the case of the SC430 it is under the seat heater controls. Lift it up and look down and you will see a box with a cable attached to it. That tiny little well shielded box can save your life. It monitors the skidding/angle of the car as well as sends braking(deceleration) and acceleration data to the skid control computer which then uses this information in conjunction with data from wheel sensors, etc... A bad yaw sensor can really wreak havoc such as automatically braking your car, no skid control, premature activation, late activation, or improper skid control ability.

A Lexus recall years ago on the GS models was to replace defective yaw sensors as cel electromagnetic waves were kicking in the brakes inadvertently.

When people put wheels on or adjust the suspension in these cars they are most likely changing the zero point (default) point of the yaw as one end of the car may be lower or higher than the other end vs what it was prior. In this case the yaw is already at an angle as is prone to getting too aggressive or not aggressive enough during a slide or under heavy braking conditions depending on the angle of the car after lowering. Keep in mind that this is related to the angle of the car and not the overall lowering of it.
So by setting the new zero point, you are telling the computer that how the car is sitting right now is the new default and base all calculations off of this.

But....one would really not notice any effects during normal driving unless you car is really angled up or down after lowering or your in an emergency situation and the VSC does not operate the way it should. Based on my driving habits I would just rather have the system in perfect alignment in the off chance I find myself in a pickle and need the help from the computers to save me.

It is a really easy process (well, to me) and if enough are curious would warrant another thread on the subject. Problem is it could also set off the VSC warning lights on your dash if not properly completed which again is easy to erase once you get the hang of it.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-03-06 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-03-06, 11:34 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure many people would benifit from your knowledge of how to reset the yaw sensor and I am formally requesting you make a new thread for it and hopefully it'll get a sticky. Nice numbers by the way lee, nice to see its running well. cant wait to see the numbers on the headers
Old 02-03-06, 01:48 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice update and numbers Lee
Old 02-03-06, 08:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys. Tony, ok, noted. But first my other projects first, plus......a rock on the freeway put a 14" crack in my windshield. Damn it's been one of those weeks. But what can you do. So calling around tomorrow for a windshield.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-05-06 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-03-06, 09:48 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey in florida front windshields get replaced for free by insurance, no deductable or anything. Something like its a state law to have a good windshield.

Thank god that rock just cracked your windshield glad your safe buddy. if that rock woulda hit your hood and headlight man that woulda sucked more
Old 02-03-06, 11:15 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Rub it in, rub it in. Out here in Cali, we are on our own unless insurance covers it. With a $500.00 deductible might as well just eat it.
Old 02-04-06, 08:26 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the rock damage, that sucks. I had a tree fall on my wooden fence last night in the rain. It crushed the fence but at least it was not my car . I would have cried .
Old 02-04-06, 11:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Rub it in, rub it in. Out here in Cali, we are on our own unless insurance covers it. With a $500.00 deductible might as well just eat it.
yeah very true, here in cali, you get crack windshield so easy, and yet we have to pay for it
Old 02-04-06, 03:51 PM
sc430uk
Driver

here in the UK you pay £50 and get a new windscreen from the insurance, and your premium does not increase nor any penaltys imposed
Old 02-04-06, 06:56 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430uk
here in the UK you pay £50 and get a new windscreen from the insurance, and your premium does not increase nor any penaltys imposed
Same up here in Canada. Some windshield shops will even pay your $50 deductable just to get your business.
Old 02-05-06, 05:11 AM
sc430uk
Driver

the only thing is they are not genuine lexus windscreens. no lexus emlem on the windscreen
Old 02-05-06, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by camillian
Same up here in Canada. Some windshield shops will even pay your $50 deductable just to get your business.
here in cali that insurance is optional. i have it and my deductable is 100 bucks. and yes some shops will pay me that 100 bucks back to get my business

and btw, do you know that if you decide to get the oem lexus front windshield (here in cali) done, that's a whopping 900 bucks?
Old 02-05-06, 03:04 PM
sc430uk
Driver

900 bucks damn damn damn, but then again if you go to a dealer here it about £600, and the insurance will only contribute £150

Quick Reply: SC430 HEADER INSTALL THREAD w/PICS, DYNO