SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help deciding color, Onyx vs. Silver

Old 12-16-04, 01:40 PM
Red Baron
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help deciding color, Onyx vs. Silver

I'm buying an '05 SC430 in Feb, but can't decide about the ext. color.
The int. will be saddle for sure.
My dilema is, with the black you become a slave at cleaning the car almost daily and the silver holds best in this category(ext. maintenance).
The black looks better(to me by far), but living in Dallas, the black will cook in the summer heat. I have had silver cars in the past, but never a black one for the reasons stated above.

Silver 2 Onyx Black 2

I would like to hear owners input to untie the score.
Thanks for the input.
Old 12-16-04, 02:03 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help deciding color, Onyx vs. Silver

Originally posted by Red Baron
I'm buying an '05 SC430 in Feb, but can't decide about the ext. color.
The int. will be saddle for sure.
My dilema is, with the black you become a slave at cleaning the car almost daily and the silver holds best in this category(ext. maintenance).
The black looks better(to me by far), but living in Dallas, the black will cook in the summer heat. I have had silver cars in the past, but never a black one for the reasons stated above.

Silver 2 Onyx Black 2

I would like to hear owners input to untie the score.
Thanks for the input.
If you plan to keep this car for a while, go for Silver. Silver is ageless and it shows-off the lines of the car really well. I find it easy to keep my `04 Millenium Silver SC430 looking good. The same holds true for my `04 Silver Pine Metallic GX470. Oh, and ditto for the `02 Millenium Silver SC430 that I used to own.
Old 12-16-04, 02:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

IMHO, SC430 looks the best in dark/black colors, makes it looks less "fat "

A silver car gets dirty just as quickly as any other color, just because you don't see it as easily does not mean the dirt is not there. If you really care about the paint on your car, you should clean your silver car just as frequently as your black car, so my vote is for black especially if it's not a daily driver.
Old 12-16-04, 04:16 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not saying that Black on the SC isn't good looking; it's just high-maintenance. Think about it - Have you ever seen a car commercial or advertisement where the featured car was Black? Never. Usually, the car featured is Silver, not because it looks "fat", but because it shows better.
Old 12-16-04, 04:43 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

When silver is dirty, it looks good; when it's clean, it looks great.
Black looks clean only on the day you clean it.

Oh, okay, maybe for three days ... maybe.
Old 12-16-04, 04:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally posted by 1NICESC430

Black looks clean only on the day you clean it.

Oh, okay, maybe for three days ... maybe.
3 days is fine with me as mine is mostly a weekend car, so cleaning it once a week is very acceptable to me
Old 12-16-04, 05:53 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

First, while both paints are popular and neutral, preference in car color is a subjective matter of personal taste. There is no "wrong" answer.

Worldwide, silver is the leading color for luxury autos. Unlike reflecting light colors, black and dark colors absorb the heat of the sun. Since "SexySC" lives in Canada, color is an uncomplicated option versus the hot climate of the "Red Baron" in Dallas. Considering resale value, folks living in "the Sun Belt" would be ill-advised in choosing a black or dark-colored auto.

Conventional wisdom : SILVER (or white)...or my favorite: "azure pearl": a metallic sky blue exclusive to the 2004 SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition. A similar bluish silver color can also be found on the Bentley, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, et al.

When it comes to advertising and TV commercials for the SC and other premium luxury marques, you can bet that Madison Avenue will opt for silver.

Notwithstanding, if you "just got to have black", go for it...and the heat and constant washes that go with it.

Last edited by PBEchicago; 12-16-04 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 08:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by SexySC
IMHO, SC430 looks the best in dark/black colors, makes it looks less "fat "

A silver car gets dirty just as quickly as any other color, just because you don't see it as easily does not mean the dirt is not there. If you really care about the paint on your car, you should clean your silver car just as frequently as your black car, so my vote is for black especially if it's not a daily driver.
imho, black would look a lot better than the silver. maybe it's just too common, i don't think silver on the sc430 is as attractive (no punch intended). i would definitely pick black. in fact that was my second choice

and hey, sexysc, you don't like light color huh?
Old 12-17-04, 02:59 AM
Johnny3
Rookie

Black is hot, very hot, if you have to park outside every day it breaks down the leather & most everything else thats not metal. It gets over 150f on the inside, takes forever for the AC to make it bearable, but mines black, week-end toy,black looks best on the 430, silver easiest maintenance, I've had 2 silver corvettes,1 SLK 320, 3 Lexus & Acura sedans so I got black this time. I love it.
Old 12-17-04, 06:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally posted by rominl
i would definitely pick black. in fact that was my second choice

and hey, sexysc, you don't like light color huh?
No, I like light colors too but only on certain types of cars, my G35 coupe is white LOL, but for a car with a more bulbous shape like the SC430, I just think dark colors are more suitable. The only light color I would consider for the SC430 though is the white, for a lady I think it looks cute
Old 12-17-04, 06:57 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

> for a lady ... I think it looks cute<

I think you might get into some trouble with that statement.
Allow me to join you ... I think a blonde lady driving an Egyptian Sand Pearl with Ecru interior would be a delicious sight.

Back to the original topic.
Although I have a silver 430, I think it looks best in black. When I placed my order (before the cars were on the market), I had to give them three choices. Black on black was my first, then indigo ink/ecru followed by midnight pine/saddle. All dark colors! After a month or so, I came to my senses and told them to change to silver/black .. period. No other choices. I love it!
Old 12-17-04, 08:36 AM
XZLR8
Driver

I used to own black cars because they are truly stunning (when they're clean), but I found that I had to be so highly medicated for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I just couldn't enjoy the car.

That's almost an exaggeration. Now I buy silver cars exclusively.

Best of luck with your choice.
Old 12-17-04, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by SexySC
No, I like light colors too but only on certain types of cars, my G35 coupe is white LOL, but for a car with a more bulbous shape like the SC430, I just think dark colors are more suitable. The only light color I would consider for the SC430 though is the white, for a lady I think it looks cute
ok, that's "acceptable" haha

i guess it does depends on who is going to drive the car too. i have asked quite a few people, and seems like most guys they like dark color (or silver), where ladies they like light color (or red). very interesting
Old 12-17-04, 10:55 AM
igorxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 with saddle interior. and silver exterior I am very happy with mine. I have seen black ones around and like you say you are a slave to black. I have always bought white cars but I think the silver in this car is by far the best looking. (I almost bought the red, went back a year later to compare and liked the silver much better) If you notice they usually show the silver in most of their advertisements. I got mine with run flat tires and changed them. The car runs much quieter and smoother with regular tires. I put a repair kit and pump in the truck. instead of a spare. B. Wells.
Old 12-17-04, 04:40 PM
Lex12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agonized over the color question too but ultimately went wtih silver. I''m very glad I did. By the way, I find that the Lexus "Millenium Silver" has an interesting tint that's most noticeable when you park next to another silver car. The Lexus silver has a kind of warm quality to it that I find quite distinctive and attractive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help deciding color, Onyx vs. Silver