Roll Over Protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 11:48 AM
SC500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Roll Over Protection

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is Roll Over Protection in the SC430 or have more information on it, because I can not seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-04, 01:02 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the headrests have roll bars in them.
Old 09-08-04, 02:58 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally posted by BrickHead
I believe the headrests have roll bars in them.
Plus I believe they shoot-up pyrotechnically when roll-over is imminent. Otherwise we'd have those ugly hoops behind headrests like on most 2-seater roadsters to meet federal roll-over height standards. They'd look awful on 4-seaters. Or how about a 'rollcage' like the PT Cruiser? Yikes! My ex-BMW 323CiC required them to be fired every inspection to make sure they worked. Fortunately, not a word about it on this car.
Old 09-09-04, 12:09 PM
flatfoot
Driver

I have had different answers from employees at different dealerships regarding roll bars in the headrests. Some say yea and some say nay. I read in a magazine that there are no roll bars built in. I finally emailed Lexus today for an answer to this question. I will let you know what they advise.
Flatfoot
2003 Silver/Ecru
5333 miles
Old 09-09-04, 01:14 PM
JCtx
Racer

The rear headrests are definitely rollbars Roofless, the question is if they extend in case of an impending rollover. The reason I think they indeed shoot up is because BMWs and all other 4-seater convertibles without rollcages do exactly that. The little access covers behind the rear headrests might be an indication of such system; Has anybody removed one? I might take one off and see what's in there next time I put the roof down.
BMW uses springs to compress the rear headrests into position, and a pyrotechnic device releases the holding mechanism letting the headrests/rollbar fully extend in fractions of a second. The tube diameter was pretty hefty. It should hold the weight of the car (and then some, for the impact) at a height where no occupant hurts his head.

Please let us know what Lexus says. Most of the time they don't know anything technical though; they refer you to your dealer.
Old 09-09-04, 03:14 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, that's flatfoot. I'm Roofless. And Mumbles is in the men's room.

Interesting thread.
Are all cars in the US required to have rollover protection? Just convertibles?

I seem to recall a thread about removing the rear headrests, and that it can't be done because it's part of the protection system...
Old 09-09-04, 09:18 PM
JCtx
Racer

Ooops! Sorry Roofless.

All cars require rollover protection, but 'regular' cars are protected by their fixed roofs (mostly by their A, B, and C pillars). Convertibles only have the A pillars with the top down, so the rear 'rollbars' have to do the job of both B and C pillars, and have to deploy at about the height of where the roof should be.

My only question on hardtop cars (like the SC) is if in case of a rollover accident with the top up, the rollover bars deploy or not. I know they DO deploy on 'soft top' cars because the mechanism is not strong enough. If they deploy on our car they'd destroy the top mechanism and the top itself, but maybe they figure it'll be destroyed anyway, huh? One more question to ask Lexus.

Later.
Old 09-10-04, 12:43 PM
flatfoot
Driver

This just in!!!!
Lexus does not have rollbars built into the rear headrests. Lexus replied to my question and went on to tell me that they have built a "margin of safety" into the car, and it will not roll over if it is driven in a reasonable and prudent manner.
Go gently,
Flatfoot
Old 09-10-04, 04:44 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh brother!
Now we have to do a rollover test.
Umbo? Do you have a helmet?
Old 09-10-04, 04:57 PM
flatfoot
Driver

I was a little dissapointed when I learned this. I distinctly remember the salesperson tell me that there were rollbars built into the rear headrests. It's my fault for not doing the research. You buy a car that is on a par with other big bucks cars and you assume that the roll bars are there. I wouldn't have let this stop me from buying the car, so I'm not slashing my wrists or anything. But.... I do remember being told that they are there. Oh well. Buyer beware.
Flatfoot
Old 09-10-04, 09:24 PM
JCtx
Racer

Flatfoot, if everybody drove their cars in a 'reasonable and prudent manner', there wouldn't be accidents buddy No need for airbags, crumple zones, rollover protection, etc. etc.

Back on subject, the back headrests ARE ROLLOVER PROTECTION buddy. The only question, again, is if they extend further (does anybody have a darn service manual??). Do you remember a picture of an SC with the rear seat removed, which was replaced with subwoofers and other audio equipment posted here a while ago? I did, and I commented the car looked like crap with the HEADRESTS ON. The guy replied and commented he didn't want to remove them because they were there for rollover protection. Do a search, and I bet he can tell you exactly how the system is set up.

Good weekend everybody.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-10-04 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 05:18 AM
flatfoot
Driver

ELP
I was only quoting what I was told by Lexus. "Reasonable and prudent" is lawyer BS, but the fact remains that there are not rollbars built into the rear headrests. Granted that they may offer some pretection in a rollover because they are abve the head of the driver, but they contain no rollbar and no pyrotechnic deployment device.
This is also a weakspot of the current Corvette. I can't imagine flipping an SC unless you are involved in a collision or were in a high speed sideways skid and hit a curb.
Score one for the europeans. I guess that they should have at least one advantage for the huge price descrepancies thay enjoy over us when purchased new.
Stay rightside up and enjoy the weekend.
We in Florida are watching the weather and hoping for the best.

Flatfoot
Old 09-11-04, 07:59 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Flatfoot,
Good luck down in Florida. I believe the windshield pillars on the corvette are reinforced to provide the protection of a rollbar. I thought I read that somewhere. Perhaps that is the case with the SC?
Old 09-12-04, 06:07 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Originally posted by Roofless
Oh brother!
Now we have to do a rollover test.
Umbo? Do you have a helmet?
Old 09-12-04, 09:53 AM
VASCER
Driver School Candidate

Default Rollover Protection

I have a2002 white/saddle sc and in looking over the Lexus promo materials for this model it states the following under the heading of "Selected luxury and safety features."---"Incorporated rollover bars in rear headrests." Out of curiosity, I went out to the car and popped out one of the back plates on the rear headrest which reveals anchors for top belts for a baby seat and there does appear to be a white tubular arrangement which would suggest that there is indeed a rollover bar in there just underneath the headrest. What is peculiar is that Lexus would now be saying that there is no rollover protection in the rear headrests.

Quick Reply: Roll Over Protection