SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Daytime Running Light (DRL) Upgrade Done...Mixed Reviews by Me...What do y'all think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 05:41 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice scdroptop! Those lights make your car look like an 09 model. 09+ Audi has LED daytime running lights. They're so nice. Nice upgrade.
Old 10-13-10, 06:35 AM
davidskelm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scdroptop, I tried 18 SMD highbeam LEDs but they flicker in "day time running" mode. In high beam they look like yours. I've read that because the car only sends 50% power to the high beam during the day that the LED is simply not getting enough power. How did you get by this?

Last edited by davidskelm; 10-13-10 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-13-10, 06:58 AM
davidskelm
Driver School Candidate

Default New info

Originally Posted by petasheep
I'm curious how the SMD bulb worked out for you. I upgraded mine a while back and I had a issue with flickering of the light. Added the VLED module it minimized the flickering but it is still there... i went back and forth about 4 times with VLED exchanging modules which fixed the flickering for about a week but eventually it comes back. I kind of gave up on the issue and learned to live with the flickering

If your bulb installs fine with no flickering at all, would you be willing to provide a link of the exact bulbs you bought? I guess it would bother me more knowing that it's a cheap fix to get it working right.

I think I figured it out! For the SC430 you'll need to use a DRL Decoder if you plan to introduce LED 9005 high beam bulbs. I found them here (R4 version):

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Daytime...decoder-01.htm

Find yourself an affordable 9005 LED at about $10 shipped plus the decoder $25 shipped and your all set at $35 out the door.

Last edited by davidskelm; 10-13-10 at 12:36 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 10-14-10, 11:06 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
sure beats this doesn't it? daytime pic of BEFORE...daytime of AFTER coming soon tomorrow!
I have a question and I'm sorry if it's a repeat. I prefer the black surround on the inside of the headlight apposed to the all chrome. Is this just how yours came? Mine is a 2002 white/gold pearl and I think it would look very HOT to have the inside of the headlights black instead of chrome. Any info you have would be much appreciated, thanks!

Josh
Old 10-14-10, 11:42 AM
VVTiBob

Received 266 Likes on 202 Posts

Standard is the chrome finish. Pebble Beach and other special addition cars have are different. One member Langsdale actually opened his lights up and did the modification. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...u-like-it.html

I suppose you could special order PB lights I suspect you'll pay about 500 each
Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ghts-help.html there is a you tube clip that has all the steps.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 10-14-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 04:21 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
i prefer them turned off. but blue is better than yellow.
+1 I like the bright light look you achieved.
Old 10-14-10, 09:49 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by davidskelm
I think I figured it out! For the SC430 you'll need to use a DRL Decoder if you plan to introduce LED 9005 high beam bulbs. I found them here (R4 version):

Find yourself an affordable 9005 LED at about $10 shipped plus the decoder $25 shipped and your all set at $35 out the door.
Good to know! Please update after you install. I did not do that, but I sure did play process of elimination with LED bulbs. Mine only flicker a little when they first light up then they are fine. I was extremely picky not to blow up the housing and wanted to make sure the look was close to OEM.
Old 10-16-10, 09:44 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by davidskelm

It is interesting to see they use the pics of my SC430 even though my car is actually running their competitor's (V-leds) product. lol
IJdmToy should send me their DRL modules for free, so I can do some test on them.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...d_sku45_r4.htm

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-drl-mod.html
Old 11-03-10, 05:36 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did this mod. and wanted to share some hands-on info. I took scdroptop's advice (thanks!) and bought the JDM LED lights, they fit good in the stock housing and look great. They did flicker more than I expected so I bought the JDM decoder (R4). The JDM LED bulb surprisingly does NOT fit the JDM decoder housing. So I had to do some wire cutting and splicing to get them to work. After installation it really helped cut back on the flickering, it's not noticeable (unless you're looking for it). Note: If you have big hands, this mod. hurts lol
Old 11-05-10, 01:57 PM
scdroptop

redliner-NICE! post some pics when you have a chance. Yeah, those brittle plastic tabs and the wedge you have to put your hand through doesn't feel so good, does it?

After nearly a year of having mine in I can say that I never notice the slight flicker from time to time it may have. I often look at my car in the windows of places I pull up to park at and I can't tell and people that have driven in front of me before I've asked to look for the flickering and they cannot see it either. I guess I'm lucky? Maybe some bulbs (we know this already, don't we??) are much better than others? Who knows.

I still maintain this is a really cool mod that improves the look of your car instantly and is very easy and cheap to do.
Old 11-09-10, 09:21 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, it was painful but definitely worth it! I can't get over how much nicer they look than stock. I can imagine that the flickering would be different depending on the bulb/car, that's great it doesn't do it on yours. I took a picture after I was done installing the first bulb so I could compare. I actually drove around like this for a couple days until I had time to install the other one lol I'll have to take one of the completed lights. (Left is After ; Right is Before/Stock)

Old 11-09-10, 12:38 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay off topic, really love those pebble beach black out lights.
Old 11-10-10, 08:55 PM
scdroptop

Thx! There was one (a lot of good that does, right???) available from X-Vipers on eBay for like $199 a month or go. Someone snatched it because it sold.

Maybe I'm biased, but I love the look of the inner shell being color matched to your car. Imagine LB with jade colored lights inside?? Or an absolutely red or twilight car? Wow!

I wonder how all the Yaris, Matrix, or all the little Toyota cars with big huge bug lights do their inner shells? They look so cool. However they do it, we need to figure out a way to do it on the SC lights.

Back to the DRL's-redliner-looking great!!! No flicker at all? Pics never show the flicker. Mine flicker worse (if they flicker at all) when the car is cold. By the time I get to starbucks they don't flicker!
Old 11-11-10, 05:21 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

The flicker is very minute, even on a cold start. I think I can see it only because I'm looking for it. Before I put on the decoder, it was really bad, almost like a fast strobe light. I'm not a gear head, but I think it has something to do with the alternator, how it pulses electricity to the lights and is not a continuous flow (which I think the decoder helps smooth out).
Old 11-11-10, 07:26 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

They look a little too bright for me for DRL's, but maybe its just the angle? But if I had a choice, i'd have my DRL's disabled. Car just looks cleaner that way.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Light (DRL) Upgrade Done...Mixed Reviews by Me...What do y'all think?