SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Where are they now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 01:27 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Where are they now?

Years back there were a ton of tricked out SC show cars going around on the different car shows. I saw a lot of them on early posts on this forum
Where are they all now. I would think they would be a good pick up today

Last edited by Barbary; 12-15-18 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 12:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I’ve wondered the same thing. Some of the OG guys still have their cars but the majority of guys with super clean SC’s seemed to vanish.
Old 12-19-18, 03:09 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Still here. In Florida we all still here. Most still have their cars
Old 12-19-18, 10:10 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say some still have their cars and just don't post on the forum any more. Some moved on to different venues and cars, and sold their SC's. I for one am learning about Subaru again after a 15 year break from owning one, and possibly regretting it.. LOL! But my Sc is still near to my heart, moving forward at a gentle pace to my goals for it.. I have noticed that they don't seem to be in any shots at the shows, but you see lots of Supras. Maybe once the new Supra has been out for a bit, Yoda will give us a new SC?
Old 12-20-18, 02:11 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
I would say some still have their cars and just don't post on the forum any more. Some moved on to different venues and cars, and sold their SC's. I for one am learning about Subaru again after a 15 year break from owning one, and possibly regretting it.. LOL! But my Sc is still near to my heart, moving forward at a gentle pace to my goals for it.. I have noticed that they don't seem to be in any shots at the shows, but you see lots of Supras. Maybe once the new Supra has been out for a bit, Yoda will give us a new SC?
I’ve noticed more Supras at car meets and shows now than ever before. I rarely bring my SC to meets anymore, so the few people who have seen it don’t realize I’ve had it for so long. All of the local old SC guys either moved to a different car, boosted their cars and never got them running right, or wrecked them. Soarers are starting to pop up around here now too.

The LC500 is basically the new SC. It was designed by Calty just like our cars and it’s like a modern successor to the first generation SC. There are a lot of similarities between the two. If you get the chance, go test drive one. It’s an incredible car. There is an LC-F and convertible version coming soon as well.
Old 12-21-18, 01:57 PM
MrJamison
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember in 04-05 going to all of the Nopi shows and specifically taking mine to the Nopi Atl show in 05 and parking with like 10+ more. I would love to find mine that I sold in 06 and buy it back!
Old 12-24-18, 12:18 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
I for one am learning about Subaru again after a 15 year break from owning one, and possibly regretting it.. LOL! But my Sc is still near to my heart,
Ramblerman, I hope you are doing well. I hear you on a Subaru, you can't do much better in snow country. When I lived in Nevada, Sierra's I had a 4 wheel drive Chevy Blazer not an SC. All the Best and a Happy New Year
Barbary
Old 12-26-18, 05:04 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Still here. In Florida we all still here. Most still have their cars
Some of us just pop in from time to time to look at old pics of our cars and think about getting another SC now that we are older and wiser and realize selling it was a mistake. Glad to see my south Florida friends are still around.
Old 12-27-18, 07:18 PM
Barbary
Instructor

I'm lucky I never made that mistake and still have mine
still runs flawless like a fine Rolex
still a thrill to drive it like it was the 1st yr
still get a lot of comps and offers to buy it
Old 12-28-18, 08:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Originally Posted by Barbary
I'm lucky I never made that mistake and still have mine
still runs flawless like a fine Rolex
still a thrill to drive it like it was the 1st yr
still get a lot of comps and offers to buy it
I’m glad I kept mine as well. Next summer will be ten years since I bought my SC300.
Old 12-30-18, 12:40 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Nothing lasts forever. These cars were hard to keep up 10 years ago, much less with another 100k on them. The scene changed during the fast and furious years and many clean OG cars weren't feeling it. Some sold, others just parked them and bought something else to mod. Right now unless I was modding it for cheap thrills I wouldn't personally spend real money on another SC because they are in a weird transition from low miles clean that are overpriced for the market and $1k and ragged to the bones. You'll either spend too much for an old Lexus or get something not very Lexus like. If you have one enjoy it, if you don't...... maybe a newer IS or GS.
Old 12-30-18, 05:39 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Nothing lasts forever. These cars were hard to keep up 10 years ago, much less with another 100k on them. The scene changed during the fast and furious years and many clean OG cars weren't feeling it. Some sold, others just parked them and bought something else to mod. Right now unless I was modding it for cheap thrills I wouldn't personally spend real money on another SC because they are in a weird transition from low miles clean that are overpriced for the market and $1k and ragged to the bones. You'll either spend too much for an old Lexus or get something not very Lexus like. If you have one enjoy it, if you don't...... maybe a newer IS or GS.
@O. L. T. Hey old buddy.What are you driving these days? I was brought back to the board after picking up an old LX470 for the winter.
Old 12-31-18, 10:46 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
@O. L. T. Hey old buddy.What are you driving these days? I was brought back to the board after picking up an old LX470 for the winter.
I'm not usually on the road these days.

Old 01-02-19, 02:22 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kira X

I’m glad I kept mine as well. Next summer will be ten years since I bought my SC300.
Hi, Yeh I believe mine "the Purple Bullet" has been in the family all but its 1st couple of years
Its good to know the car has never hit bottom and has been kept at a relatively high level of maintenance
although I don't know of anything ever breaking on it, except the drivers door hinge broke once because its probably one of the heaviest car doors out there

When stuff has worn out I've replaced them but even that isn't much, the windows still work, the original light in my glove compartment still comes on
The insurance is $400 a yr. last car registration in Calif was around $100. The car has saved me a lot a lot of money and I drive the hell out of it. The harder I drive it the better it runs
tfv_____Barbary
Old 01-06-19, 11:02 AM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Barbary, I'm doing fairly well, but health care in America sucks due to high cost and crap insurance companies!! Kinda like keeping up the old SC. LOL I bought mine when it was 10 yrs old and it has been a very stalwart vehicle. It is a 96 Sc 400. It is no longer my DD and for years cost little to maintain. I'm now trying to take some of the age and wear back out of her, 235k and she still runs like a champ! I would hate myself later if I sold it, so I won't, family heirloom she'll be! As we all know these cars are poorly supported by aftermarket. I can buy every part I need to build a mustang including body all aftermarket, Camaro, BMW 3 , Honda, Toyota , Etc. But not a lot for Lexus. I think some parts are available only because of the less expensive Toyota version Soarer being sold. The SC was an expensive niche car that has had the same fate as Cadillac and Lincoln . Once they get old the original owners just see them as an old car and sell them to the first person with cash. Sometimes at discount just to get rid of it, which is how I acquired mine. Thus begins a downward spiral for most of these cars till they are just an old luxury rat boat that costs way to much to fix, so they get junked because they need outrageously priced lower control arms and BMW 3 series parts cost about the same as a Chevy. There are us diehards and occasionally a young kid who buys one only to find out how expensive it is to keep one and then leave's it half finished and mostly tore apart to the point where no one wants it and it is sold for next to nothing or junked. Many car people don't know what it is or have forgot about them. They just never achieved the mainstream status they need to help them survive. I almost think this was the plan frrom Lexus to start. I will keep mine and restore it.to it's former glory (Pa can be a bit rough on cars) and will be that lonely and only SC at the car shows. It is put up for the winter and I'm currently working on my new DD (Subaru Outback) to lessen the impact on my Ford Explorer Sport which has 213k on it now.

​​​​​​