Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

New To CL

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 04:49 PM
Jusvick
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New To CL

I just joined CL because I recently purchased a 99’ SC400 from the original owner.... I plan to keep this car so I’m open to any & all advice.

Last edited by Jusvick; 11-17-18 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 11-07-18, 05:09 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

You bought the right year of sc400, I've got an sc300 So no real advise besides
Old 11-07-18, 10:29 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

put some nicer wheels on it. keep it clean and maintain it. if you like to hear the engine consider putting on some aftermarket mufflers on it. other than that you got a cherry pick year for the 400s. i got mine myself and the only way im getting rid of it is if i somehow manage to find a 2000 year model.
Old 11-08-18, 01:08 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Jusvick! And congratulations on your purchase! The 1998-2000 SC400's are the second rarest SC model and the most powerful factory stock 1st gen SC. The later SC400's like yours were mostly special order only at the time they were new.

There are plenty of common things you can do to it depending on what you want from the car. I would recommend as a baseline:

Check all maintenance records and make sure the plugs, timing belt and water pump are all within their proper service intervals. Make sure your power steering pump is free of leaks since it is located directly over the alternator on your SC's engine and if it ever does leak it can harm the alternator (but I imagine you are more than likely fine there).

Also if there is any excess steering slop or shimmying while driving straight or on the highway you may want to have the front lower control arms inspected just in case they might need replacement (you can use 93-96 or 97-98 Supra MKIV front lower control arms to save on cost over the expensive Lexus versions-- they are the same physical parts for both cars).

Also if there is play in your steering rack and an inspection shows that the rack bushings have gone bad then order a new SC/MKIV rack bushing set from Figs Engineering and have those installed to tighten things back up to spec.

There are many flavors of exhaust and suspension that you can choose from if you wish. As are the range of options for upgrading the stock stereo or adding an aftermarket head unit, etc.

The only modification that I would definitely suggest to you right off the bat is upgrading to 1995-2000 Lexus LS400 front brake calipers along with a larger set of wheels that will fit them. These are a night and day difference in superior braking capability with OEM Toyota/Lexus parts that are seamless to integrate into the rest of the SC's factory braking system. Very common modification for these cars. With 290hp/300ft-lbs from your stock engine and a good 3800lb curb weight those upgraded brakes should have come on the car from the factory.

There is a big thread on the LS400 caliper upgrade if it's of interest to you.

Everything else you might consider I feel is really up to whatever your style and ownership intentions will be. We're here to help if you have questions. Welcome

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-08-18 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 08:10 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Excellent choice in vehicle and welcome! I have very fond memories of my SC400 and although I love my SC300, there's no substitute for the glorious sounds that can come out of that 1UZ.
Old 11-08-18, 01:25 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! Congratulations on the purchase!
Old 11-08-18, 04:09 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on your new ride man and Welcome!! I hope you enjoy it for years to come, did you get a new v8 version 4.0 or v6 4.0?
Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference with 2 cylinders hidden back there!
make sure it’s a v8, because v6s are the ones you don’t want
Old 11-09-18, 07:17 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Welcome to CL!
Old 11-09-18, 07:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by lexxium
congrats on your new ride man and welcome!! I hope you enjoy it for years to come, did you get a new v8 version 4.0 or v6 4.0?
Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference with 2 cylinders hidden back there!
Make sure it’s a v8, because v6s are the ones you don’t want
v6 ... sc400 ? I don't think I have seen one . Am I getting this wrong ?
Old 11-09-18, 11:49 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
v6 ... sc400 ? I don't think I have seen one . Am I getting this wrong ?
I had the same reaction..... SC400 never had a V6 option that I heard of.... (it might be … just never heard that before...).

OP, welcome to CL.... What part of CA are you located? I have the SC300 and the advice on the brake upgrade and wheels is a must..... (and pretty much everything else Kahn recommends...).
Old 11-09-18, 06:02 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I figured he was joking with Jusvick.

OP, just FYI in truth these cars only ever came with came with two engine options in the USA: 4.0L 90-degree V8 (SC400) and 3.0L Inline-Six non-turbo (SC300). And for the Japanese market cars only a third engine option being a 2.5L inline-six turbo (Soarer 2.5 GT). No V6 engine was ever put into an SC/Soarer by Toyota/Lexus for Japan, the USA or Canada.

Yeah, I always mention upgrading to the 95-00 LS400 front brake calipers just because it's stood out to me as the most significant basic modification (using all OEM Lexus parts) for safety if someone drives their SC spiritedly. With the significant stock horsepower and torque on the 1998-2000 SC400's and the curb weight of these cars it's an important one IMO. On many California mountain roads and in L.A. traffic I have always appreciated the brake upgrade for much improved stopping confidence and peace of mind. Lexus should have made those brakes standard on all SC's.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-09-18 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 02:05 AM
Jusvick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Welcome to the forum, Jusvick! And congratulations on your purchase! The 1998-2000 SC400's are the second rarest SC model and the most powerful factory stock 1st gen SC. The later SC400's like yours were mostly special order only at the time they were new.

There are plenty of common things you can do to it depending on what you want from the car. I would recommend as a baseline:

Check all maintenance records and make sure the plugs, timing belt and water pump are all within their proper service intervals. Make sure your power steering pump is free of leaks since it is located directly over the alternator on your SC's engine and if it ever does leak it can harm the alternator (but I imagine you are more than likely fine there).

Also if there is any excess steering slop or shimmying while driving straight or on the highway you may want to have the front lower control arms inspected just in case they might need replacement (you can use 93-96 or 97-98 Supra MKIV front lower control arms to save on cost over the expensive Lexus versions-- they are the same physical parts for both cars).

Also if there is play in your steering rack and an inspection shows that the rack bushings have gone bad then order a new SC/MKIV rack bushing set from Figs Engineering and have those installed to tighten things back up to spec.

There are many flavors of exhaust and suspension that you can choose from if you wish. As are the range of options for upgrading the stock stereo or adding an aftermarket head unit, etc.

The only modification that I would definitely suggest to you right off the bat is upgrading to 1995-2000 Lexus LS400 front brake calipers along with a larger set of wheels that will fit them. These are a night and day difference in superior braking capability with OEM Toyota/Lexus parts that are seamless to integrate into the rest of the SC's factory braking system. Very common modification for these cars. With 290hp/300ft-lbs from your stock engine and a good 3800lb curb weight those upgraded brakes should have come on the car from the factory.

There is a big thread on the LS400 caliper upgrade if it's of interest to you.

Everything else you might consider I feel is really up to whatever your style and ownership intentions will be. We're here to help if you have questions. Welcome
Thanks for all that info.... I actually did feel some shimmying side to side when driving on a bad section of highway so I made an appointment to check things out....
Old 11-17-18, 02:07 AM
Jusvick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
I had the same reaction..... SC400 never had a V6 option that I heard of.... (it might be … just never heard that before...).

OP, welcome to CL.... What part of CA are you located? I have the SC300 and the advice on the brake upgrade and wheels is a must..... (and pretty much everything else Kahn recommends...).
Im in the BayArea Northern California

Old 11-17-18, 02:32 AM
Jusvick
Driver School Candidate

The pics I just added to my original post make the paint look like it’s different colors on different parts of the car to me.... it’s definitely not so here are the unedited pictures

Old 11-17-18, 02:36 AM
KahnBB6

Your 400 is so clean! Beautiful

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-17-18 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply: New To CL