SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does your SC shock you? (Static Electricity)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 04:47 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Does your SC shock you? (Static Electricity)

Boys, I’m shocked by my car. No, I mean I’m actually shocked! This thing zaps me all the time. I’m used to it but my wife had to drive ole Sexy Lexy this morning and I heard all about the”lightning bolts” that my wife got hit with lol

OK, OK, is my wife a little dramatic? Well, yeah, of course she is. But, I know what she’s talking about. I’ve seen electricity arc out of the door handle and get me before too!

So, I’ve noticed that with certain pants like the type she wears to work (she’s a nurse) that it happens bad. I’ve got a pair of wind breakers circa 2002 that I sometimes wear when it’s cold that charges up bad. But, I don’t get shocked when driving our other cars, so what gives? Is it because we have a metal door handle? Is there a fix that doesn’t involve driving in the nude?

Nick
Old 03-20-23, 07:15 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

A loose grounding point will probably be my suggestion. Unless you guys are driving in sox and sliding your feet on the carpet charging static electricity. **** is dangerous especially for pumping gas.
Old 03-20-23, 07:42 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've never experienced it on any of my SCs.
Old 03-20-23, 07:48 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

I've had it happen if i'm wearing a lot of polyester. For whatever reason, that material tends to gather up static
Old 03-20-23, 08:54 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

You know I don't think mine ever does... My old Civic Si used to like a MF'er, but for some reason I don't have that issue in the SC. I suppose driving in the nude does help...
The following users liked this post:
Tallyhoe (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 09:29 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
You know I don't think mine ever does... My old Civic Si used to like a MF'er, but for some reason I don't have that issue in the SC. I suppose driving in the nude does help...

The following 4 users liked this post by - V -:
bron_karr (03-20-23), KahnBB6 (03-25-23), RudysSC (03-23-23), Tallyhoe (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 10:53 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Mine hasn't ever shocked me, no. As electrically noisy as these cars are I wouldn't be surprised if it did but as mentioned above I'd zero in on the health of all major ground points throughout the car.

I think other factors that cause a natural buildup of static electricity could be adding to the issue as you mentioned, Nick.

Do you notice any surfaces where the shocking happens more often?

On my old late 90's Honda I do think I got some shocks occasionally. It had plastic outer door handles but fabric stock seats. I also experienced this with a 60's Mustang with a factory vinyl interior-- and I'm sure that car was *very* electrically noisy.

I don't experience this with my SC for whatever reason no matter what footwear I have on. I also don't think much of or any of my wardrobe has any high percentage of polyester fibers embedded (not sure honestly) and I know that has been known to cause static buildup for some folks.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-20-23 at 10:59 PM.
Kira X (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 11:02 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 750 Likes on 627 Posts

Hello,

When do you get hit the most, while you are still in the car and touch something, or when you touch the ground and something in the car?

It's not only your wardrobe preferences that get you, there are other variables to consider.

The car not only collects the static as you rub in the seat, especially if it is a leather seat, but also as it travels through space, as there is a lot of friction with air and particles that come by, so it is usually the frame of the car that collects the most static. The precise amount of punch that you are about to receive is usually determined by the wheels you have, and by the weather outside, the less moisture there is in the air, the less conductive air it, and the more static the frame will collect.

While it is always a good idea to check all the Grounding spots in the car, I don't think it will help you much, as the battery is not the one to discharge static, it is a potential between the car's frame (which the battery is a part of) and the actual ground, the planet Earth, that makes a difference. If you think about it, there are only 4 slim rubber patches that hold the car on the ground, hence why the frame has plenty of isolation to start accumulating charge, and as you get out, your body's conductivity will always be a lot higher than that of your tires, and you get zapped upon touching the frame while you stand on the ground. That is why you see a lot of tank trucks dragging one or more metal chains on the ground as they go, it's to prevent any static accumulation while the truck is heading to a destination, as a simple zap from the static is the least of their concerns when it comes to it. While it is something you can do as well, it's only a matter of time when you will get pulled over for wrecking the road surface with something dragging on it or for a car not being fit for roads, or just get tired of constant racket that is associated with dragging a chain around.

One way to make it at least a bit more bearable is to touch the frame first as you get out of the car. In my 2000 ES300 I installed the Chrome plated handles out of a Coach Edition, now that they are conductive and are part of a frame, I can simply hold the handle as I step on the ground, and it does help a lot to increase surface area and prevent as much sparking from occurring. If you don't have those, well, too bad as they do look nice as well ... but you can actually just hold on to any part of a frame (like an A-Pillar) as you get out to get the same result, just make sure to touch it fully, otherwise you will still end up getting punched.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
KahnBB6 (03-24-23)
Old 03-25-23, 01:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

This is really interesting as I’ve never seen this before. I’ve had my SC300 since 2009 and don’t recall getting shocked like that. It’s got me thinking that I will check my grounds whenever I get my new battery next month.
Old 03-26-23, 04:05 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Appreciate all the responses, gentlemen! I’m going to upgrade my grounds, which I had planned on doing anyhow and had been thinking about recently. Does anyone have a good DIY with pics? I came across something recently but all the pictures were dead.

Thanks!

Nick