Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy >

Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy

Notices
SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy

Old 06-17-18, 07:41 PM
  #1  
ahero4all
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
ahero4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 69
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy

Hello fellow SC enthusiasts,

Arizona car, Pearl white tan interior...202k, new clutch just installed, t-belt, w-pump service at 135K would rate it a solid 7 out of 10..Paint is really nice, no dents, interior is really clean, driver seat needs a new motor and is showing wear but no rips .tires are decent..

I currently own five vehicles including a 98 SC400, I need another car like I need a hole in my head, but have always wanted a 5 speed...and this seems like a hard car to pass up. is $2500 a good price and are these 5 speed's desirable?

Pictures coming tomorrow..

Thanks in advance for the feed-back
ahero4all is offline  
Old 06-17-18, 08:34 PM
  #2  
Ezroni
Driver
 
Ezroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 144
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

nice find man, you said it yourself in your sig.. "1995 SC300 5 speed wish I never sold" seems like it's a perfect chance for you to get that back. i gotta see pics but if nothing else is wrong with it $2,500 is a great deal in my opinion, especially in Hawaii aren't they pretty hard to come by..
Ezroni is offline  
Old 06-17-18, 10:00 PM
  #3  
ahero4all
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
ahero4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 69
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ezroni View Post
nice find man, you said it yourself in your sig.. "1995 SC300 5 speed wish I never sold" seems like it's a perfect chance for you to get that back. i gotta see pics but if nothing else is wrong with it $2,500 is a great deal in my opinion, especially in Hawaii aren't they pretty hard to come by..
Hey Ezroni..Thanks brother! Congrats on owning one of the very few 97's. Nice score yourself! .Why would you want a 2nd? I'm not in Hawaii any more..the Lava is flowing right where i was living...

Planning on posting pic's tomorrow..any idea of the value of a clean 93 like the one I am going to buy?
ahero4all is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ahero4all For This Useful Post:
Ezroni (06-20-18)
Old 06-19-18, 04:15 AM
  #4  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,574
Thanked 115 Times in 96 Posts
Default

$2500 is a very good price, especially with no major issues and a clean title and body. Factory 5-speeds are always desirable. The rest depends on condition. The maintenance at 135k seems fine to me but if it's at 202k now and hasn't had its timing belt changed since 135k then you'll need to give it a new one, new water pump, new spark plugs, new wires, new distributor cap and rotor (use all the Aisin/Toyota/Denso stuff of course). A brand new clutch is a nice plus.

If all you have to worry about is some maintenance then I say get it and enjoy it. Manual SC's are so much fun no matter what engine they have
KahnBB6 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to KahnBB6 For This Useful Post:
ahero4all (06-22-18)
Old 06-19-18, 01:33 PM
  #5  
aswang
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (4)
 
aswang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: No.VA
Posts: 953
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Default

^^I agree!
aswang is offline  
Old 06-20-18, 03:51 PM
  #6  
Ezroni
Driver
 
Ezroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 144
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ahero4all View Post
Hey Ezroni..Thanks brother! Congrats on owning one of the very few 97's. Nice score yourself! .Why would you want a 2nd? I'm not in Hawaii any more..the Lava is flowing right where i was living...

Planning on posting pic's tomorrow..any idea of the value of a clean 93 like the one I am going to buy?
thank you so much, it's my first car and I could not be happier, not even with a Supra haha. (yes i'm 100% confident in saying this lol 5-spd SC300's are my absolute favorite cars) as to why I want another one... well I just love these cars so much, and I'm a bit of a collector... I like rare things, 5-spd SC's fit right in and 97's even more so, not to toot my horn if I do end up finding a spectacular, local deal for a good condition pre-97 5-spd I would love one to daily/boost. Super fun, reliable, as I know you know

as for Hawaii—oh man, I'm real sorry to hear that and I hope you, your family, and friends are well.

as for what it's worth - that's hard to say without actually seeing/driving it but with my experience in Cali, it's tough to find a non abused SC for a good price. I have a good feeling for you!

Last edited by Ezroni; 06-20-18 at 03:58 PM.
Ezroni is offline  
Old 06-20-18, 04:18 PM
  #7  
ahero4all
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
ahero4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 69
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Going to pass on the car

Originally Posted by Ezroni View Post
thank you so much, it's my first car and I could not be happier, not even with a Supra haha. (yes i'm 100% confident in saying this lol 5-spd SC300's are my absolute favorite cars) as to why I want another one... well I just love these cars so much, and I'm a bit of a collector... I like rare things, 5-spd SC's fit right in and 97's even more so, not to toot my horn if I do end up finding a spectacular, local deal for a good condition pre-97 5-spd I would love one to daily/boost. Super fun, reliable, as I know you know

as for Hawaii—oh man, I'm real sorry to hear that and I hope you, your family, and friends are well.

as for what it's worth - that's hard to say without actually seeing/driving it but with my experience in Cali, it's tough to find a non abused SC for a good price. I have a good feeling for you!
Hey Ezroni...Wow, cool first car bro..way to buy one of the best cars on the planet..Yeah, thanks for the condolences..a dear friend actually took his life after the lava took away his farm..rough times over there..

Passing on the car..sucks cause it is right next door to me and just sitting there..I drove it yesterday, the paint is in really good condition, the motor runs strong, clutch shifts smooth but the dash lights are faded and broke.. the climate control panel is smoked, the driver seat is rough and needs repair, the drivers door is cracked in the usual spot, there is a small dent in the driver side fender, looks like the door caught it at kinked it..Like Kahnbb6 mentioned, it's going to need the full service, plus tires... I have five vehicles right now, although I really want a five speed, I have a tendency to make my cars as perfect as possible and I just don't want to spend the time or money right now.. I bought my always garaged one owner 98 SC400 for $4500 and put another $4k into it.. The Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself is in the forefront of my mind...I don't want to be into this car for $6000 and it not be showroom like my 98..

Cheers to all the SC enthusiasts
ahero4all is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ahero4all For This Useful Post:
Ezroni (06-21-18)
Old 06-20-18, 04:58 PM
  #8  
ahero4all
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
ahero4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 69
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Sorry for the low quality pics..owner wasn't around to get the keys today..



ahero4all is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ahero4all For This Useful Post:
Ezroni (06-21-18)
Old 06-20-18, 09:16 PM
  #9  
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (17)
 
97-SC300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 9,168
Thanked 106 Times in 89 Posts
Default

That's a steal if it's in decent shape. Arizona car is a big plus for having no rust.
97-SC300 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to 97-SC300 For This Useful Post:
Ezroni (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 03:29 PM
  #10  
ahero4all
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
ahero4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 69
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Killing me watching a 5spd just site there.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300 View Post
That's a steal if it's in decent shape. Arizona car is a big plus for having no rust.
Hello 97-SC300, Your feed-back is appreciated..$2500 plus another $2500 in maintenance and repairs...would it be worth the $5k investment and time?

KBB Private Party in Good condition is $2500 to $3500, KBB excellent condition is only a few hundred dollars more..I know I'll have $5k in the car before its done.

The Pearl white is calling my name..if it was any other color I wouldn't be up for the project..

Back in the early 2000's when I was buying early 90"s NSX's..KBB value was $10K lower than Market value on excellent condition cars...

Is KBB value truly reflective on real life Market Value?

I'm in good shape with all my other car's and I don't want to be upside down with this unit.. If I was hard pressed to sell it, could I get my investment back?

In your opinion, what would the value be if I restored it to excellent condition? or could I simply buy a clean rust free 93 5sp in excellent condition for $5K..

So hard to watch it just sit there, not buy it and make it sweet again..

Last edited by ahero4all; 06-21-18 at 03:33 PM.
ahero4all is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ahero4all For This Useful Post:
Ezroni (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 04:12 PM
  #11  
Ezroni
Driver
 
Ezroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 144
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ahero4all View Post
Hey Ezroni...Wow, cool first car bro..way to buy one of the best cars on the planet..Yeah, thanks for the condolences..a dear friend actually took his life after the lava took away his farm..rough times over there..

Passing on the car..sucks cause it is right next door to me and just sitting there..I drove it yesterday, the paint is in really good condition, the motor runs strong, clutch shifts smooth but the dash lights are faded and broke.. the climate control panel is smoked, the driver seat is rough and needs repair, the drivers door is cracked in the usual spot, there is a small dent in the driver side fender, looks like the door caught it at kinked it..Like Kahnbb6 mentioned, it's going to need the full service, plus tires... I have five vehicles right now, although I really want a five speed, I have a tendency to make my cars as perfect as possible and I just don't want to spend the time or money right now.. I bought my always garaged one owner 98 SC400 for $4500 and put another $4k into it.. The Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself is in the forefront of my mind...I don't want to be into this car for $6000 and it not be showroom like my 98..

Cheers to all the SC enthusiasts
real sorry to hear that, I can't imagine how hard it must be out there


i totally get you, especially as it's a Lexus and should be treated as such.. however it seems like the issues are mostly cosmetic (except for the burnt out dash lights, that could potentially be a problem while driving at night).. if you could get the price down a bit I'd definitely still consider it... not often you'll find a strong motor/tranny with that price, since it sounds like white is the only color you want
Ezroni is offline  
Old 06-21-18, 04:28 PM
  #12  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,574
Thanked 115 Times in 96 Posts
Default

The things wrong with it seem to be all very minor and common faults, mostly interior cosmetic. Every SC will need those things addressed. The climate control screen is easily fixed as are the dash lights (send all of these parts to Tanin Auto for repair). The timing belt service, which is also just long term maintenance. Tires... well... tire wear with a 1992-2000 Lexus SC (or Soarer) totally depends on driving style anyway, so that also is just normal maintenance, haha

The leather can always be addressed with new seat leather skins. Katzkin is one of the best for this.

But I wouldn't do ALL of these things at once if I were to buy it. Descending order of importance in little stages.

To answer your question of whether the investment required is worth it... for the very reasonable price being asked and the condition it's in, resoundingly yes.

I completely understand your feeling and position if it's just one car too many. Indeed you should not overload yourself if you feel it would be too much to add this one to your stable.

But as factory 5-speeds go this one is in very good shape and the price is very good.

Kelly Blue Book is useful but not entirely accurate as it does not take into account that these are somewhat unique and desirable classic cars with only 4,883 originally made (and less in current circulation). They price them similar to any other SC300 automatic of the same era. The true real world used market values do not line up precisely with their numbers. While there are only so many mechanical and electrical differences between SC300 A/T's and the various revisions of the M/T models and conversions are very common and easily done, an original is an original. KBB really should be taking that into account. Are the real world valuations deeply different from one another? That's debatable (especially if compared to a really super clean low mileage SC300 automatic that has been well preserved) but there is at least some difference in favor of the 5-speed M/T's when seeking one out in various classifieds.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-21-18 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Grammatical editing
KahnBB6 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KahnBB6 For This Useful Post:
ahero4all (06-22-18), Ezroni (06-26-18)
Old 06-21-18, 06:45 PM
  #13  
ahero4all
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
ahero4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 69
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Just bought it for $800. Stoked, excited and feeling lucky

Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
The things wrong with it seem to be all very minor and common faults, mostly interior cosmetic. Every SC will need those things addressed. The climate control screen is easily fixed as are the dash lights (send all of these parts to Tanin Auto for repair). The timing belt service, which is also just long term maintenance. Tires... well... tire wear with a 1992-2000 Lexus SC (or Soarer) totally depends on driving style anyway, so that also is just normal maintenance, haha

The leather can always be addressed with new seat leather skins. Katzkin is one of the best for this.

But I wouldn't do ALL of these things at once if I were to buy it. Descending order of importance in little stages.

To answer your question of whether the investment required is worth it... for the very reasonable price being asked and the condition it's in, resoundingly yes.

I completely understand your feeling and position if it's just one car too many. Indeed you should not overload yourself if you feel it would be too much to add this one to your stable.

But as factory 5-speeds go this one is in very good shape and the price is very good.

Kelly Blue Book is useful but not entirely accurate as it does not take into account that these are somewhat unique and desirable classic cars with only 4,883 originally made (and less in current circulation). They price them similar to any other SC300 automatic of the same era. The true real world used market values do not line up precisely with their numbers. While there are only so many mechanical and electrical differences between SC300 A/T's and the various revisions of the M/T models and conversions are very common and easily done, an original is an original. KBB really should be taking that into account. Are the real world valuations deeply different from one another? That's debatable (especially if compared to a really super clean low mileage SC300 automatic that has been well preserved) but there is at least some difference in favor of the 5-speed M/T's when seeking one out in various classifieds.
Thanks for the support advice and feedback.. the seller was happy to know I was going to restore it..Knowing how much time effort and money I am going to invest in making it nice, he gave it to me for $800..

COULDN'T"T PASS IT UP! add another SC to the stable..a 93 Manual and a 98 VVTI..

Thanks every one!
ahero4all is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ahero4all For This Useful Post:
Ezroni (06-26-18)
Old 06-21-18, 09:03 PM
  #14  
scsexy
Pole Position
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Default

wow man you lucked out! good for you!
scsexy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to scsexy For This Useful Post:
ahero4all (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 04:06 AM
  #15  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,574
Thanked 115 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Wow!! That is quite the steal, sir! Congratulations! I think you will be very pleased
KahnBB6 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KahnBB6 For This Useful Post:
ahero4all (06-22-18), Ezroni (06-26-18)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: