ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/891861-clean-93-sc-300-5spd-2500-to-buy-or-not-to-buy.html)

ahero4all 06-17-18 06:41 PM

Clean 93 SC 300 5spd $2500 to buy or not to buy

Hello fellow SC enthusiasts,

Arizona car, Pearl white tan interior...202k, new clutch just installed, t-belt, w-pump service at 135K would rate it a solid 7 out of 10..Paint is really nice, no dents, interior is really clean, driver seat needs a new motor and is showing wear but no rips .tires are decent..

I currently own five vehicles including a 98 SC400, I need another car like I need a hole in my head, but have always wanted a 5 speed...and this seems like a hard car to pass up. is $2500 a good price and are these 5 speed's desirable?

Pictures coming tomorrow..

Thanks in advance for the feed-back

Ezroni 06-17-18 07:34 PM

nice find man, you said it yourself in your sig.. "1995 SC300 5 speed wish I never sold" seems like it's a perfect chance for you to get that back. i gotta see pics but if nothing else is wrong with it $2,500 is a great deal in my opinion, especially in Hawaii aren't they pretty hard to come by..

ahero4all 06-17-18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ezroni (Post 10227154)
nice find man, you said it yourself in your sig.. "1995 SC300 5 speed wish I never sold" seems like it's a perfect chance for you to get that back. i gotta see pics but if nothing else is wrong with it $2,500 is a great deal in my opinion, especially in Hawaii aren't they pretty hard to come by..

Hey Ezroni..Thanks brother! Congrats on owning one of the very few 97's. Nice score yourself! .Why would you want a 2nd? I'm not in Hawaii any more..the Lava is flowing right where i was living...

Planning on posting pic's tomorrow..any idea of the value of a clean 93 like the one I am going to buy?

KahnBB6 06-19-18 03:15 AM

$2500 is a very good price, especially with no major issues and a clean title and body. Factory 5-speeds are always desirable. The rest depends on condition. The maintenance at 135k seems fine to me but if it's at 202k now and hasn't had its timing belt changed since 135k then you'll need to give it a new one, new water pump, new spark plugs, new wires, new distributor cap and rotor (use all the Aisin/Toyota/Denso stuff of course). A brand new clutch is a nice plus.

If all you have to worry about is some maintenance then I say get it and enjoy it. Manual SC's are so much fun no matter what engine they have :thumbup:

aswang 06-19-18 12:33 PM

^^I agree!

Ezroni 06-20-18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ahero4all (Post 10227204)
Hey Ezroni..Thanks brother! Congrats on owning one of the very few 97's. Nice score yourself! .Why would you want a 2nd? I'm not in Hawaii any more..the Lava is flowing right where i was living...

Planning on posting pic's tomorrow..any idea of the value of a clean 93 like the one I am going to buy?

thank you so much, it's my first car and I could not be happier, not even with a Supra haha. (yes i'm 100% confident in saying this lol 5-spd SC300's are my absolute favorite cars) as to why I want another one... well I just love these cars so much, and I'm a bit of a collector... I like rare things, 5-spd SC's fit right in and 97's even more so, not to toot my horn :) if I do end up finding a spectacular, local deal for a good condition pre-97 5-spd I would love one to daily/boost. Super fun, reliable, as I know you know

as for Hawaii—oh man, I'm real sorry to hear that and I hope you, your family, and friends are well.

as for what it's worth - that's hard to say without actually seeing/driving it but with my experience in Cali, it's tough to find a non abused SC for a good price. I have a good feeling for you!

ahero4all 06-20-18 03:18 PM

Going to pass on the car

Originally Posted by Ezroni (Post 10229815)
thank you so much, it's my first car and I could not be happier, not even with a Supra haha. (yes i'm 100% confident in saying this lol 5-spd SC300's are my absolute favorite cars) as to why I want another one... well I just love these cars so much, and I'm a bit of a collector... I like rare things, 5-spd SC's fit right in and 97's even more so, not to toot my horn :) if I do end up finding a spectacular, local deal for a good condition pre-97 5-spd I would love one to daily/boost. Super fun, reliable, as I know you know

as for Hawaii—oh man, I'm real sorry to hear that and I hope you, your family, and friends are well.

as for what it's worth - that's hard to say without actually seeing/driving it but with my experience in Cali, it's tough to find a non abused SC for a good price. I have a good feeling for you!

Hey Ezroni...Wow, cool first car bro..way to buy one of the best cars on the planet..Yeah, thanks for the condolences..a dear friend actually took his life after the lava took away his farm..rough times over there..

Passing on the car..sucks cause it is right next door to me and just sitting there..I drove it yesterday, the paint is in really good condition, the motor runs strong, clutch shifts smooth but the dash lights are faded and broke.. the climate control panel is smoked, the driver seat is rough and needs repair, the drivers door is cracked in the usual spot, there is a small dent in the driver side fender, looks like the door caught it at kinked it..Like Kahnbb6 mentioned, it's going to need the full service, plus tires... I have five vehicles right now, although I really want a five speed, I have a tendency to make my cars as perfect as possible and I just don't want to spend the time or money right now.. I bought my always garaged one owner 98 SC400 for $4500 and put another $4k into it.. The Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself is in the forefront of my mind...I don't want to be into this car for $6000 and it not be showroom like my 98..

Cheers to all the SC enthusiasts

ahero4all 06-20-18 03:58 PM

Sorry for the low quality pics..owner wasn't around to get the keys today..https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...24f2d7e6dd.jpghttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...bf20229c5e.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...dc2a0eecb2.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...fc1526416d.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...5a501237b5.jpg

97-SC300 06-20-18 08:16 PM

That's a steal if it's in decent shape. Arizona car is a big plus for having no rust.

ahero4all 06-21-18 02:29 PM

Killing me watching a 5spd just site there.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300 (Post 10230086)
That's a steal if it's in decent shape. Arizona car is a big plus for having no rust.

Hello 97-SC300, Your feed-back is appreciated..$2500 plus another $2500 in maintenance and repairs...would it be worth the $5k investment and time?

KBB Private Party in Good condition is $2500 to $3500, KBB excellent condition is only a few hundred dollars more..I know I'll have $5k in the car before its done.

The Pearl white is calling my name..if it was any other color I wouldn't be up for the project..

Back in the early 2000's when I was buying early 90"s NSX's..KBB value was $10K lower than Market value on excellent condition cars...

Is KBB value truly reflective on real life Market Value?

I'm in good shape with all my other car's and I don't want to be upside down with this unit.. If I was hard pressed to sell it, could I get my investment back?

In your opinion, what would the value be if I restored it to excellent condition? or could I simply buy a clean rust free 93 5sp in excellent condition for $5K..

So hard to watch it just sit there, not buy it and make it sweet again..

Ezroni 06-21-18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ahero4all (Post 10229847)
Hey Ezroni...Wow, cool first car bro..way to buy one of the best cars on the planet..Yeah, thanks for the condolences..a dear friend actually took his life after the lava took away his farm..rough times over there..

Passing on the car..sucks cause it is right next door to me and just sitting there..I drove it yesterday, the paint is in really good condition, the motor runs strong, clutch shifts smooth but the dash lights are faded and broke.. the climate control panel is smoked, the driver seat is rough and needs repair, the drivers door is cracked in the usual spot, there is a small dent in the driver side fender, looks like the door caught it at kinked it..Like Kahnbb6 mentioned, it's going to need the full service, plus tires... I have five vehicles right now, although I really want a five speed, I have a tendency to make my cars as perfect as possible and I just don't want to spend the time or money right now.. I bought my always garaged one owner 98 SC400 for $4500 and put another $4k into it.. The Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself is in the forefront of my mind...I don't want to be into this car for $6000 and it not be showroom like my 98..

Cheers to all the SC enthusiasts

real sorry to hear that, I can't imagine how hard it must be out there

i totally get you, especially as it's a Lexus and should be treated as such.. however it seems like the issues are mostly cosmetic (except for the burnt out dash lights, that could potentially be a problem while driving at night).. if you could get the price down a bit I'd definitely still consider it... not often you'll find a strong motor/tranny with that price, since it sounds like white is the only color you want

KahnBB6 06-21-18 03:28 PM

The things wrong with it seem to be all very minor and common faults, mostly interior cosmetic. Every SC will need those things addressed. The climate control screen is easily fixed as are the dash lights (send all of these parts to Tanin Auto for repair). The timing belt service, which is also just long term maintenance. Tires... well... tire wear with a 1992-2000 Lexus SC (or Soarer) totally depends on driving style anyway, so that also is just normal maintenance, haha ;)

The leather can always be addressed with new seat leather skins. Katzkin is one of the best for this.

But I wouldn't do ALL of these things at once if I were to buy it. Descending order of importance in little stages.

To answer your question of whether the investment required is worth it... for the very reasonable price being asked and the condition it's in, resoundingly yes.

I completely understand your feeling and position if it's just one car too many. Indeed you should not overload yourself if you feel it would be too much to add this one to your stable.

But as factory 5-speeds go this one is in very good shape and the price is very good.

Kelly Blue Book is useful but not entirely accurate as it does not take into account that these are somewhat unique and desirable classic cars with only 4,883 originally made (and less in current circulation). They price them similar to any other SC300 automatic of the same era. The true real world used market values do not line up precisely with their numbers. While there are only so many mechanical and electrical differences between SC300 A/T's and the various revisions of the M/T models and conversions are very common and easily done, an original is an original. KBB really should be taking that into account. Are the real world valuations deeply different from one another? That's debatable (especially if compared to a really super clean low mileage SC300 automatic that has been well preserved) but there is at least some difference in favor of the 5-speed M/T's when seeking one out in various classifieds.

ahero4all 06-21-18 05:45 PM

Just bought it for $800. Stoked, excited and feeling lucky

Originally Posted by KahnBB6 (Post 10230773)
The things wrong with it seem to be all very minor and common faults, mostly interior cosmetic. Every SC will need those things addressed. The climate control screen is easily fixed as are the dash lights (send all of these parts to Tanin Auto for repair). The timing belt service, which is also just long term maintenance. Tires... well... tire wear with a 1992-2000 Lexus SC (or Soarer) totally depends on driving style anyway, so that also is just normal maintenance, haha ;)

The leather can always be addressed with new seat leather skins. Katzkin is one of the best for this.

But I wouldn't do ALL of these things at once if I were to buy it. Descending order of importance in little stages.

To answer your question of whether the investment required is worth it... for the very reasonable price being asked and the condition it's in, resoundingly yes.

I completely understand your feeling and position if it's just one car too many. Indeed you should not overload yourself if you feel it would be too much to add this one to your stable.

But as factory 5-speeds go this one is in very good shape and the price is very good.

Kelly Blue Book is useful but not entirely accurate as it does not take into account that these are somewhat unique and desirable classic cars with only 4,883 originally made (and less in current circulation). They price them similar to any other SC300 automatic of the same era. The true real world used market values do not line up precisely with their numbers. While there are only so many mechanical and electrical differences between SC300 A/T's and the various revisions of the M/T models and conversions are very common and easily done, an original is an original. KBB really should be taking that into account. Are the real world valuations deeply different from one another? That's debatable (especially if compared to a really super clean low mileage SC300 automatic that has been well preserved) but there is at least some difference in favor of the 5-speed M/T's when seeking one out in various classifieds.

Thanks for the support advice and feedback.. the seller was happy to know I was going to restore it..Knowing how much time effort and money I am going to invest in making it nice, he gave it to me for $800..

COULDN'T"T PASS IT UP! add another SC to the stable..a 93 Manual and a 98 VVTI..

Thanks every one!

scsexy 06-21-18 08:03 PM

wow man you lucked out! good for you!

KahnBB6 06-22-18 03:06 AM

Wow!! That is quite the steal, sir! Congratulations! I think you will be very pleased ;)