SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sold The SC....Now What???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 09:41 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I think I got the perfect solution. they make 2JZ swap mounts for the Z32 now. Problem solved
Guru....you are always five steps ahead.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
That's a very clean Z32! Congratulations!! A one-owner, low mileage factory manual car. Great find! I remember reading once that the most popular model sold in the Japanese market was one we never got in the USA: the Z32 2+2 TT. You've got a great foundation to build off of.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers suggesting this but being a 90's Nissan with a 5-speed manual nearly identical to what was offered in the Skylines of the era an RB will be nearly bolt-in with a bellhousing swap, won't it? I could be mistaken but I have been under the impression that the Z32 NA and TT 5-speed M/T's are very similar or the same and were also used with factory Skyline RB20DET and RB25DET applications. Just the same, the support is out there these days to install a 2JZ and whatever compatible manual transmission you want.

Although I do think those Z32's need the early 90's OEM add-on TT ducktail rear spoiler parts. They just set off the lines very well, IMO.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Thanks man! Yeah, I have read all about the RB transplant into the Z32 and I gotta be honest, makes me pretty happy that alot of that stuff bolts up together. The manual transmissions on the 300ZX's (TT or NA) are same units....and are known for handling huge power. The amount of OEM parts still available for the 300ZX is unbelievable, again considering the age of the car. I love both the 2JZ and the RB...considering Toyota created the 2JZ to directly compete with the RB, it's really hard to decide which route. I like the fact the RB will be an easier swap (i use the term easier very loosely), but I also like the fact that the 2JZ aftermarket is huge here in the states. We'll see...

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
Adjusted for inflation, this car was $58k 2017 dollars? For an NA!. No wonder why they didn't sell too many of these.

Beautiful car btw. Keep us posted on the build. And post pics, everyone LOVES pics. lol
Thanks! Yeah, the high price tag on the 90's Japanese sports cars was the main reason they (300ZX, Supra, RX-7, 3000GT, etc...) got phased out of the market quickly. Pics will be posted for sure.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Huh? For some reason I was under the impression that all of those came with a TT motor. Shows you how much I know my Nissans haha.

OP didn't you say you're looking only for turbo cars.
Yep, I said I want a turbo....I didn't say how it was going to be turbo'd (factory, aftermarket, etc...)

The 300ZX TT is actually not as sought after as the NA 2+0 5spd....reason being is that all 300ZX TT's came with HICAS which is not preferred especially when going with custom suspension and such. Deleting HICAS is a b***h!!! All 300ZX's have LSD's and the manual trans is identical across the board and very strong....so that just leaves the power plant. I think the VG30DE and DETT are fantastic motors and very strong....just not something I want to build up. That is why I want to go 2JZ or RB.

I also listed the M3 because I was looking to potentially pick one up to rebuild the motor and go turbo, but the chassis on those cars are notorious for breaking rear subframe mounts. No thanks.

Last edited by LexIS007; 10-24-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-24-17, 09:49 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

[QUOTEa=LexIS007;10013476]Well, here she is....picked her up on Sunday from a 72yr old (original owner) in Indiana....literally a barn find lol.

It's a super clean 1991 300ZX 2+0 5spd NA w/ 71k original miles. No rust, no accidents, no mechanical issues, one owner car. Great example and picked her up for a great deal! She will now be the foundation for my 2JZ or RB build...haven't decided yet.

Here are the pics of when I was picking her up...

[/QUOTE]
Congrats on your purchase!!! The car looks great and well taken care of for a 91!!!
i hope you enjoy it more than you did your sc!!!
Old 10-24-17, 10:22 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Congrats on your purchase!!! The car looks great and well taken care of for a 91!!!
i hope you enjoy it more than you did your sc!!!
Thanks! Yeah, I was definitely at the right place at the right time! Should be a fun little car when all done
Old 10-24-17, 07:16 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You’re going to boost that zx?
Old 10-24-17, 08:56 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
You’re going to boost that zx?
For sure! Just deciding whether to go 2JZGTE or RB26DETT. Nothing against the VG30DE/DETT, it's just that in the event of an oil leak or something needing repairing....it is a pain to reach alot of the components with the VG engines....wayyyy tooo much plumbing. I like the fact that the RB26DETT bolts up to the stock 300ZX transmission using a RB bellhousing...this is a HUGE plus IMO because it keeps my OEM trans (which is very strong) in the correct orientation and maintains the OEM drive shaft and rear end. The fact that it's a Nissan motor, straight six, and basically known as Japan's greatest motor is making me lean more in that direction. However, sourcing parts is my concern, and although alot of places are starting to carry OEM RB26DETT parts here in the states, the presence is still not as strong as the 2JZ. At this point, cost isn't huge between the two motors, a few grand...but nothing crazy.

I am in the process of ordering the 99-00 JDM Xenon headlights, front fascia, side diffusers, rear tail lights, fog lights, and oem nova suede trim. I am also going to do the 18Z caliper upgrade which uses the Porsche Cayenne 6 piston calipers with 370Z rotors, and 4 piston rear calipers with 370Z rotors.

Should be a fun car when all said and done...Good times!
Old 10-24-17, 10:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man that's a clean 300ZX, congrats.

And you need to keep it all Nissan IMO. Build a RB, that is the engine this car should have came with from the factory anyways IMO. Parts might be a bit more of a PITA to get and maybe more expensive, but in this age of the internet, I don't see that being as big of a problem. Plus you can always crack on that old line from Fast and Furious, "If we have to, we can overnight parts from Japan". Main thing with parts is I see you waiting forever for crap to come over on the boat or paying a lot of $$$$ to have stuff sent air freight.

Also you might look into buying a wrecked R32 Skyline with the motor you want and having it shipped over here. I've also heard that sometimes they will cut the car in half and just send the front half of the car over in the container for parts(common for JDM Silvias, where everybody wants that cool front clip and turbo motor for their beat *** 240sx). Just heard from guys doing GM LS V8 swaps that its way easier if you just buy the whole wrecked car, that way you have every part/fitting/complete wiring harness that you didn't think you need, yup its still on that old wrecked work van. Saves you a lot of time, $$$$ and leg work ordering parts.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-24-17 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 06:45 AM
Farhan
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, man. That's a super clean ZX.
I'm Asif's boy, btw -- the one he was inquiring about for your stock 97+ fogs.
Old 10-26-17, 09:18 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man that's a clean 300ZX, congrats.

And you need to keep it all Nissan IMO. Build a RB, that is the engine this car should have came with from the factory anyways IMO. Parts might be a bit more of a PITA to get and maybe more expensive, but in this age of the internet, I don't see that being as big of a problem.

Also you might look into buying a wrecked R32 Skyline with the motor you want and having it shipped over here.
Thanks! I totally agree the RB should have been the engine of choice in the Z during that era, especially considering that Nissan never brought the R32,R33, and R34 to the states. I also agree that it would be nice to keep things Nissan in a Nissan car....but putting money aside, my biggest concern is (as you mentioned) sourcing parts. I am seeing more and more places stocking GTR legacy parts here in the states, but even then they are limited parts selection. I was thinking of a front clip, but even then, I wouldn't be using a whole lot of the parts because I am looking for upgraded components on most parts (intakes, exhaust manifolds, etc...) so getting just the motor might be (at least in my case) the easier route.

Originally Posted by Farhan
Congrats, man. That's a super clean ZX.
I'm Asif's boy, btw -- the one he was inquiring about for your stock 97+ fogs.
Thanks Farhan! Yeah, I have a few more parts left over from my SC project clearance. Are you the one with the RB swapped 300ZX? I am super excited about Asif's Supra build. Knowing Asif, you know that thing is gonna be crazy sick!!

Last edited by LexIS007; 10-26-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 10:26 AM
Farhan
Rookie

No, I'm the one with the hardtop RSP SC.
Yes, I'm aware of his Supra build -- I've known this day would come since he was 15 years old, that's how passionate he is about the MKIV. I can't wait either.
Old 10-26-17, 06:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I love the new 300ZX. It looks perfect.
Old 10-26-17, 07:57 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Thanks! I totally agree the RB should have been the engine of choice in the Z during that era, especially considering that Nissan never brought the R32,R33, and R34 to the states. I also agree that it would be nice to keep things Nissan in a Nissan car....but putting money aside, my biggest concern is (as you mentioned) sourcing parts. I am seeing more and more places stocking GTR legacy parts here in the states, but even then they are limited parts selection. I was thinking of a front clip, but even then, I wouldn't be using a whole lot of the parts because I am looking for upgraded components on most parts (intakes, exhaust manifolds, etc...) so getting just the motor might be (at least in my case) the easier route.
At this time though you should have a boon for the availability of OEM RB26DETT (at least in R32 configuration) parts once Nissan fully ramps up its Heritage Parts Program. That may be only available in the Japanese market and getting many small service parts from Japan does take time but you shouldn't have any trouble getting OEM parts for that engine for the foreseeable future even if there is an additional wait time for overseas delivery if something is out of stock in the U.S.
Old 10-27-17, 06:22 AM
Farhan
Rookie

First I'm hearing of the Heritage Parts Program -- that's incredible. I'm hopeful Toyota follows suit.
Old 10-27-17, 08:25 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
I love the new 300ZX. It looks perfect.
Thanks Kira!

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
At this time though you should have a boon for the availability of OEM RB26DETT (at least in R32 configuration) parts once Nissan fully ramps up its Heritage Parts Program. That may be only available in the Japanese market and getting many small service parts from Japan does take time but you shouldn't have any trouble getting OEM parts for that engine for the foreseeable future even if there is an additional wait time for overseas delivery if something is out of stock in the U.S.
I heard about this a while back, but didn't think it was true....great news! I am assuming the Z and the GTR primarily played a major role in this program as they have a huge cult following. I'm telling you, I can source a good majority of new parts for the 300ZX, and the car is 28yrs old now!!! It also helps that Nissan stayed on "good terms" with companies like Getrag...that is why there are still a plentiful supply of Getrag 6spd transmissions (at least for the GTR) and parts available. My understanding is Toyota bumped heads with Getrag a while back, and so Getrag pulled the plug on the V160 parts as soon as the 15yr parts agreement was reached.

First I'm hearing of the Heritage Parts Program -- that's incredible. I'm hopeful Toyota follows suit.
That would be a god send.
Old 10-28-17, 04:41 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I heard about this a while back, but didn't think it was true....great news! I am assuming the Z and the GTR primarily played a major role in this program as they have a huge cult following. I'm telling you, I can source a good majority of new parts for the 300ZX, and the car is 28yrs old now!!! It also helps that Nissan stayed on "good terms" with companies like Getrag...that is why there are still a plentiful supply of Getrag 6spd transmissions (at least for the GTR) and parts available. My understanding is Toyota bumped heads with Getrag a while back, and so Getrag pulled the plug on the V160 parts as soon as the 15yr parts agreement was reached.

That would be a god send.
I completely agree. Taking a page from Nissan/Nismo's playbook Toyota should do this for the MKIV Supra, MKIII Supra, Soarer Z30 / SC300-400, Celica GT-Four ST165/185/205, JZX90/100/110 Chaser & Mark II's, the original Altezza/IS, '83-'85 AE86 and the FR-S/86 (when applicable). Also some of their classic FJ 4x4 models (such as the 40, 70 and 80) but I don't think parts support is very bad for those at current time.

The only wrench in MKIV Supra support would be the discontinuation of transmissions and transmission parts from Getrag. With Toyoda at the helm today, assuming Toyota/Gazoo/TRD launched such a vintage sport model parts program of their own, anything might be possible. But that would take a lot to occur. Even without V160 support if Toyota unofficially acknowledged the aftermarket transmission options available for their second most famous car (next to the 2000GT) and supported almost everything else in reproduction it would be absolutely huge.

One can hope. I mean, Toyoda is a car enthusiast CEO.

LexIS007, you're correct. I think we've both seen that same thread on the MKV forum. I relayed the link onto a V160 thread on SF. According to some SF members who responded to my post the crux of the disagreement between Toyota and Getrag came down to customers reporting "transmission noise" with their factory 6-speed Turbos and at least initially many dealers had these gearboxes replaced under warranty only to find the same noises persisted. Nothing was wrong with those replaced Getrags at all. They just made some mechanical noises by design. That is most likely what the Getrag people felt amounted to improper training of Toyota dealership service technicians for diagnosing noise issues with their gearboxes.

But there are so many other parts for the MKIV Supra that need to be reproduced under a program such as this.

As for Nissan's vintage parts program, I am sure you are right that the Z and classic GT-R following both contributed. I have heard no concrete updates yet on what other older Nissans will be included. It might be just a handful of cars such as select Z and GT-R model years or it could include others like the Silvia and some limited edition Nismo special editions. At this time only the 1989-1994 R32 GT-R has been announced for official support.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-28-17 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-30-17, 12:50 PM
kostas86
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find on that clean 300zx! Congrats and enjoy! I've owned a 300zx also and they're great cars.

Quick Reply: Sold The SC....Now What???