SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sold The SC....Now What???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 05:43 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sold The SC....Now What???

After listing the car for less than a week and numerous offers, I sold the SC300 this evening...smooth transaction, the buyer knew what the car was all about.

So, now that the car is gone...the garage looks so empty. I need a turbo car!

Been thinking of the following cars:

- Subaru STI (kinda $$)
- 300ZX Twin Turbo (had one way back and loved it).
- E46 M3 (problematic)

What do you guys think? Any advice or suggestions? I got $15k in total to play with as a down payment.
Old 10-13-17, 06:35 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

300ZX is a money pit if you don't plan on doing the work on it yourself.

For a non-turbo car (I know you mentioned turbo), I would say a C5 Vette is the best bang for the buck, and there are a ton of them to choose from.
Old 10-14-17, 09:49 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
300ZX is a money pit if you don't plan on doing the work on it yourself.

For a non-turbo car (I know you mentioned turbo), I would say a C5 Vette is the best bang for the buck, and there are a ton of them to choose from.
I owned a 300ZX in the past, and while I agree they have pricey repairs....I did alot of the work myself, and will continue to do the work myself.

I like Vette's too...I just am not too much into their styling. The motors are great for mods, and the aftermarket is plentiful....but Vette's just don't appeal to me as much.
Old 10-14-17, 03:01 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for the Z, the repairs are somewhat expensive but the driving experience is worth all the pain.
Old 10-14-17, 06:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

A great turbo car? Well there's always an SC300 with a GTE swap or an imported 1JZ Soar--- oh

Between those three choices you gave the STI would be the best out of the box needs-nothing turbo car but they are pricey for any model year. Since you once owned a Z32-TT you know how cramped the engine bay is to work on but the familiarity makes the option a little more realistic. For the turbo Z I think it depends on condition. Some parts are harder to find now, at least to keep it stock.

E46 M3's are great cars but you'd have to do the majority of the maintenance and repair work yourself to make it worthwhile. Plus, no factory turbo.

Honestly there are many good FWD turbo 6-speed M/T options available to you today. Not nearly as many RWD turbo 5/6-speed M/T options available. This is why I still see an SC with a turbo engine as being a good option despite you having just sold one. And you don't have strict emissions in Illinois.

A fourth option, although pricey since they're very new: a 2015+ Mustang EcoBoost 6-speed M/T with the factory Brembo brake package, Recaros, LSD and low final drive ratio. Then take that and put one of several aftermarket tuning packages that can boost it up to about 400hp (crank) on the stock turbo while still being emissions legal.
Old 10-14-17, 09:10 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I’m sorry you missed out on your sc, which could have been more fun and more potential for turbo than any vehicle on the road for the money today!
The only other car that could comes close sc300/400 is a SUPRA MKIV FTMFW!!! and nothing can touch these cars power, looks or reliability
You’ll be back!!
Good luck!!
Old 10-15-17, 01:13 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I’m sorry you missed out on your sc, which could have been more fun and more potential for turbo than any vehicle on the road for the money today!
The only other car that could comes close sc300/400 is a SUPRA MKIV FTMFW!!! and nothing can touch these cars power, looks or reliability
You’ll be back!!
Good luck!!
I know the power the 2JZ can make (regardless of what car it came in). I was always on the fence about SC project that I sold because it really needed alot of work to get to where I wanted it to be. The thing that really made me not enjoy my SC build was the "Easter-egg hunting" for parts....this I dreaded the most because almost everything (or at least the things that mattered the most or were needed) were discontinued or someone online wanted some ridiculous amount for the part(s) USED!!!. This is just the beginning, wait until Toyota/Lexus closes the doors completely on the inventory of these cars' parts....then what? On top of that, the cost to fix the cars rust, drive-train swap (bc we all want a drive-train that can handle 10000hp), wheels, etc... really made this car a money pit. I just couldn't justify the cost any longer.

In terms of cars that come close to touching the power the SC and Supra make....there are plenty. Again, it's all about how much you want to spend. The 300ZX (out of the box) is a stout car. Building the engine up can yield some crazy (reliable) power, not to mention a healthy (yet surprising) supply of OEM parts still available for these cars considering their age. If I ever get tired of it, or decide that the VG30DETT is just not worth it, I throw an RB in it and call it a day.

To those who have clean original manual SC's and Supra's....kudos. Ask me to buy another SC???....that I can't do again.

I have been thinking hard about a used R35 GTR lately....and that, I promise you can touch a Supra . Still need to think harder about it.
Old 10-15-17, 01:17 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
Go for the Z, the repairs are somewhat expensive but the driving experience is worth all the pain.
Yeah, the one I owned in the past had it's problems....but 90% of the issues I fixed myself. They really are not that bad to work on...sure the engine bay can be a bit cramped, but honestly, it really isn't all that bad. A set of rods, pistons, and bearings....and the VG30DETT is bulletproof.

I do miss how the car drove...really cool car even by today's standards.
Old 10-15-17, 01:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If you thought 2JZ parts are expensive.... than LOL at even remotely thinking of getting a GTR and modding that. Good luck.
Old 10-15-17, 01:26 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
And you don't have strict emissions in Illinois.
We don't???? I think Illinois has one of the strictest emissions laws around. Sure there are ways to get around it (not gonna go into details), but I don't want to deal with all that anymore.

I think the fact that all 300ZX's and most 90's Japanse cars are pre-OBDII cars make them great candidates for stand-alone ecu's and/or major motor swaps. That's one reason I don't care too much for buying a 97+ SC300/400 or 97+ Supra.

I like American cars, I just don't think I am ready to get into one right now. However, if a GT350R at a good price came up, then maybe
Old 10-15-17, 01:37 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If you thought 2JZ parts are expensive.... than LOL at even remotely thinking of getting a GTR and modding that. Good luck.
Agree completely.....but, I will still be able to buy BRAND NEW parts....10yrs from now.

So really it's, LOL to USED expensive parts for the 2JZ no???

We'll see what the future holds.
Old 10-15-17, 01:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Agree completely.....but, I will still be able to buy BRAND NEW parts....10yrs from now.

So really it's, LOL to USED expensive parts for the 2JZ no???

We'll see what the future holds.
The fact of the matter is, a 2jz platform has a TON of trans and diff options that the GTR does not. You can run 5+ different trannies in them as well as a plethora of diff and LSD options. The motors have no shortage of parts. Jacks can rebuild a V160 still to make it even stronger than OEM. I don't get the panic over discontinued OEM parts. There are options. Nothing on a high HP build is cheap, doesn't matter what platform. Gotta pay to play.

If you want a GTR that will keep up with built Supras... you're gonna have to mod it. Stock aint gonna do it lol.
The following users liked this post:
myLEXsc400 (10-19-17)
Old 10-15-17, 02:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Put it this way ... what car engine (power train) / transmission and diff (drivetrain) can get you into the 1000-1500rwhp RELIABLY with the least amount of expense ? If you find the 2JZ reliable parts expensive then I don't know what fast car that can rival the 2JZ you will get into and will be cheaper.

Nothing will touch or even get close to the 2JZ price wise . I was told to sell two of my 6 speed MKIVs making over +1000rwhp and +1200rwhp respectively just so I can pay for the Alpha 12 GTR quotation given to me.... hell no . I will keep my two 6speed MKIVs hands down. Then you put in the factor that GTR prices are going down as time pass , where as MKIV prices are going up .

Now you want it even cheaper , use a shell like the SC so you don't have the MKIV tax . If you are only after let's say 700rwhp , it is even better cause a stock healthy 2jzgte long block will get you there reliably as long as you have a good ECU and tuner where as most of the other engines of other cars would have to be built internally already. Exactly the reason why the damn 2jzgte is installed on every kind of car now a days. The secret of a good setup (after you have put together all the other reliable parts of the setup) is a good ECU and a good tuner if you want to make good power reliably which unfortunately many will not go into. I have seen a lot of people who wouldn't want to spend on a good ECU and spend that tuning costs for a good tuner after spending so much on the other bolt ins or engine build .

Last edited by gerrb; 10-15-17 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myLEXsc400 (10-19-17)
Old 10-15-17, 03:05 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Well said Gerrb!!! There is nothing like a 2j and the platforms that actually made for them!!!
As a matter of fact I’m buiding 450/500hp setup right now, not much but that’s a starting point of a single turbo build.
If you can find a clean body sc300 these days, it would be a great candidate for a single upgrade, for less than $5000 if you do the work yourself!!!

Im a Toyota Lexus fan, so nothing to me else equates to these 2 brands, so I can say I’m bias
Old 10-15-17, 07:05 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Put it this way ... what car engine (power train) / transmission and diff (drivetrain) can get you into the 1000-1500rwhp RELIABLY with the least amount of expense ? If you find the 2JZ reliable parts expensive then I don't know what fast car that can rival the 2JZ you will get into and will be cheaper.
Wait a minute....Gerry, why is this thread turning into a 2JZ vs. the world thread? Let's slow down here and try and understand my point as to why I do not want to pursue an SC or Supra for my next build. Unlike Lexxium's post's in which he/she thinks I am immediately bashing the SC or Supra ...in which I am NOT!

I am NOT doubting the 2JZ's capabilities or the fact that it can make stupid power cheaper than most sports cars out there. My whole "difference-of-opinion" is in that the fact is that the SC and Supra OEM parts (at least the ones that anyone gives two *****s about) have been discontinued, and continue to rise in cost as used items (makes sense based on the principle of supply and demand). My point was/is that I don't want to get into another project that has this type of background....I don't want to go in a build to invest a boat load of money in sourcing used OEM parts that are only marked up because of it's rarity. I would rather buy standard priced OEM parts and spend more money on performance parts. I think that's where the disconnect here is with what I am trying to communicate to everyone...I know making a car fast isn't cheap...you can ask guys like Carman from SupraForums (he's been to my garage and seen how many OEM and performance parts i've invested thousands in). However, how many aftermarket companies are making new cylinder heads for the 2JZ-GTE?....or new V160's?....or new TRD LSD's?...or complete rear diffs, etc...??? You personally own several Supra's right? What happens when your 6spd TT rear end takes a dump and you cannot source a used one?

What I am trying to point out is that I want a project that if something breaks, something OEM...I can go the dealer and purchase a new one without anyone saying, "oooow sorry...item has been discontinued....you might be able to find one on craigslist." That will NOT happen with a GTR....at least not for the next 20yrs. Will the new parts be expensive?...yes of course, you are buying parts for a $100k MSRP car...they will be expensive. However, will they be new? You bet they will be.

Finally, put money aside because like Dimitry said, "you gotta pay to play" right?....an evenly modified R35 GTR compared to a Supra will take down a Supra. This has been documented many times. This isn't because the Supra is weaker in any way, it's because they are two completely different cars from two completely different generations....it's obvious the newer gen cars will have the nicer go-fast bits. It's easy to say, a 1000HP Supra will eat a GTR...but what most people forget is that you need to build up that Supra to stand a chance against a stock GTR. Build them evenly and it's no competition...the GTR will win time and time again.

Sorry for the long post, but I seriously didn't think this thread was going to turn in this direction.

Last edited by LexIS007; 10-15-17 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Sold The SC....Now What???