SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sold The SC....Now What???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 07:11 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If you want a GTR that will keep up with built Supras... you're gonna have to mod it. Stock aint gonna do it lol.
Don't you mean, if you want a Supra that will keep up with a stock GTR, you will need to mod it?
Old 10-15-17, 09:58 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Say good bye to the Sc forum.
Old 10-16-17, 12:14 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
We don't???? I think Illinois has one of the strictest emissions laws around. Sure there are ways to get around it (not gonna go into details), but I don't want to deal with all that anymore.

I think the fact that all 300ZX's and most 90's Japanse cars are pre-OBDII cars make them great candidates for stand-alone ecu's and/or major motor swaps. That's one reason I don't care too much for buying a 97+ SC300/400 or 97+ Supra.

I like American cars, I just don't think I am ready to get into one right now. However, if a GT350R at a good price came up, then maybe
Compared to what we deal with in California getting a 100% factory USDM 2JZGTE in OBD1 spec installed in an OBD1 SC with a working TT EGR system to do it the by-the-book legal way... no, it's not as strict. Maybe close but not to the same degree. Further, compared to what a buddy of mine in California went through to jump through hoop after hoop to legally register an 80's imported Mercedes 4x4 diesel which is supposed to be "exempt"... still no.

Illinois may not be lax but it is not quite as strict as they are in California in perpetuity for any car that is 1976 or newer... even if said 70's car came with a crappy and inefficient thermal reactor emission system and a massive nest of vacuum hoses that is outperformed in emissions testing with some commonly available updated parts that are not allowed to be legally installed. A lot of late 70's and early 80's classics are saddled with outdated and inefficient emission systems out here... unless the owner goes to the trouble of swapping in a newer engine with engine and emission parts support they feel more comfortable dealing with.

Sure, even out here there with the risks to owners and smog shop owners alike determined people still manage to find ways to get around it through shady means. I don't want to deal with that either, hence the stubborn lengths I have gone to get a 2JZGTE in my SC that can't be refused by the Cali BAR.

Illinois emissions I am sure is difficult in its own right to deal with for any owner of a tuner car old or new.

You're lumping the Z32 300ZX-TT that you like and might want again (and I'd say go for it btw-- great cars!) in the same category as other pre-OBD2 90's performance platforms that tend to lend themselves to engine swaps and by that reasoning you felt the SC300/400 platform is not what you'd want any longer. Fair enough if you don't want an SC again or an MKIV but you didn't make the 300ZX-TT seem any different in your statement... which is confusing to me since you said you'd prefer getting another one of those and don't seem to mind that Nissan currently doesn't offer every single part for that model at this time either. Not to mention the Z32 was also offered in a short and long wheelbase NA trim level which people also occasionally swap VG30DETT's, RB's another other engines into... which is also confusing considering your statement.

You *may* later have an ace in the hole with a Z32 Twin Turbo since Nissan has recently announced its Heritage Parts Program to restart production of parts support for select classic models. They're starting with the R32 GT-R's. It remains to be seen what other classic Nissans will be included under that umbrella. So far Z32/Fairlady "Heritage" parts support has not been announced.

As to all of us wanting a 1,000hp 2JZ car... um... not ALL of us want that much power. Personally my emissions legal limitation on power isn't the only reason I'll be staying closer to 350-400whp than 1,000whp. I'm fine with that figure. I just wanted it in a mostly analogue 90's RWD manual turbo car that doesn't break down. Others want 500whp, some 650whp, some just 700whp, some 800-900whp and others 1,000whp+. Actually the farther away from factory stock and up in power you want to go the more aftermarket parts support you have with a 2JZ SC or MKIV.

I think Dmitry mentioned a couple of posts back that there are about five different transmissions currently available for the 2JZ. At least one of those is brand new and in production-- and extremely stout on a level comparable to a V160.

You mentioned LSD's as if TRD was the only name in town... but have you heard of Kaaz, Cusco and especially OS Giken? All three companies make new LSDs for this platform.

Rear differential assemblies... the stock units are pretty stout as is but Grannas Racing has an aftermarket Ford 8.8 IRS differential kit available with numerous ring and pinion and LSD options.

Cylinder heads... again, not really something that justifies further improvement for 98% of MKIV and boosted SC owners... but there is at least one billet aluminum aftermarket 2JZ head out there currently on sale. It's purely for drag racing setups with extremely high power running in very short intervals. For every other use of these engines the factory heads are perfectly fine. Compare this to the terrible flow we used to get from stock Ford 5.0/302 heads and how aftermarket designs were required to get them to breathe well.

Agree completely.....but, I will still be able to buy BRAND NEW parts....10yrs from now.

So really it's, LOL to USED expensive parts for the 2JZ no???

We'll see what the future holds.
Now I will not argue with the future of parts support for the SC and MKIV platforms but you can make the same argument for most popular tuner, classic and muscle cars unless we're talking about 1964-73 Mustangs, 1967-80ish Camaros and Firebirds, most classic Mercedes-Benz vehicles and recent exceptions like Nissan's classic parts program for the 89-94 Skyline GT-R series. Those exceptions are the outliers.

Still, it's an exaggeration today to suggest that there are no more SC or MKIV parts available. There are, despite some of them being discontinued. It depends. Toyota doesn't just pull the plug after a certain threshold. I was at a Toyota dealer a couple of months ago and one guy came in to buy some obscure part for his 1985 Toyota pickup which was still available. Another time at the same dealer someone called over the phone while I was there to buy something for their 80's Cressida (which also happened to be available). Point being, so long as something is still in a warehouse somewhere Toyota will still source it for you. And for some common service parts Toyota is not your only manufacturer to get them from.

I don't think think you will have 100% luck every time you need an obscure part for a 90-96 Z32. Some of the time you would also get a "sorry, that's no longer available" response. Already some parts for the Z32 have been discontinued. The entire catalog for that model? Certainly not, but some of them? Yes.

Actually most classic cars have this problem of some parts simply not being available any longer new from the factory. Depending on their popularity however some models are supported by some or several aftermarket niche companies. Take a look at the 1982-1987 Buick Grand National and T-Type market for another example of a rare exception to the norm. Plenty of cars with much higher values than an MKIV have a pricey discontinued secondhand parts market including many very old Ferrari models. It's nothing new.

Look, there is nothing wrong with being tired of a particular kind of car that you've been around the block with and wanting to go with something else. That's valid and you've got no argument from me here. You've mentioned an R35 GTR and if that model is closer to what you desire I also say-- go for it! It's a different style of turbo car than a common 2JZ vehicle that does pretty much everything differently. It's also very expensive-- both to buy and to repair. But the right car for you is the right car for you, period.

We all have reasons for getting into what cars hit all of our unique buttons and if another Z32-TT or R35 GTR does that for you then that is the right choice

But a turbo SC or MKIV are not poor value propositions for the performance and style you get from them. And I'm not sure you're fully aware of the aftermarket and remaining factory parts support that still exists for them. Will that change in the future? Undoubtedly but at current time that is not the reality for the majority of parts needed to work on them.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-16-17 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 01:41 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well if you don't want to play with Toyotas and turbocharged 1JZ or 2JZ motors

I know 300ZX twin turbo has been tossed around, but IMO those are really playing second fiddle to a better Nissan you can now import to the states. Go buy a turbocharged R32 Skyline, import it from Japan. There are several companies that offer this service. A GTS-T, RWD 2.0 liter RB20DET turbo engine is well within your budget, you can get a really minty fresh one for about 10-15k. If you save up another 7-8k you can get an AWD GT-R model, lots more power stock. Still I think the value is in the GTS-T with a few bolt on mods, you can make an easy 300rwhp with the stock turbo.
Old 10-16-17, 03:15 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

^^ Very different cars compared to the DCT automatic only R35 but if we're talking high performance Nissans that offer the most fun and involvement I'd take an imported R32 GT-R over all others hands down. GTS-T's are great too. It will still be a couple of years before any R33's let alone R34's will be eligible for importation (USA). That the early model years from 1989-1992 are now not barred by the insipid 25 year import ban should make a Skyline a no-brainer consideration.

The Z32-TT's are still a great choice if a good example can be found but the '89-'02 Skyline series takes the cake, IMO.

I got a fun ride in an R33 GTS-T 5-speed some years back (no, it wasn't legal-- I didn't ask questions) and I loved it. Apart from the famous RB26 the RB25DET is the more desirable engine compared to the RB20. The GTS-T's are pretty good cars and have similar performance options available comparable to SC's.

I'm not going to get into a 2JZ vs RB25/26 debate though
Old 10-16-17, 05:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Well, if I sounded like it is 2JZ against the world ... I didn't mean to .

What I was trying to say is , the OP wanted a turbo car (and I hope I got that right) , let us say he was aiming for 300rwhp or 500rwhp or 800rwhp , or 1000rwhp or 1500rwhp .... in what flatform will he spend the least and get that power goal realiably ?

It was never my intention to compare the cars since there is no point . Likes on cars are very subjective. You can't compare them too cause it is like comparing an apple to an orange. It will never be an ending discussion which is better or best car , lol.

I am just sticking to the point of having a fast reliable car with the least cost . We all know people like us look at costs, not unless you are one of the lucky rich guys in town , when building a fast car. Otherwise one will probably be at the lamborghini forums and not SC if funds where never an issue. It is definitely expensive to build and maintain a fast car. The question is which is the least expensive assuming you are all at the same power goal. That is the reason of my previous post.

So to give an insight , if I had $15k as the OP said , what turbo car will I get ? Lmaol , I will still get a clean, meaning no rust SC shell at $1k - $2k and get a tested Supra 2jzgte 6speed swap at $10,500 and do a stock swap to start with. Enjoy the car and as time goes by do bolt ins slowly up to 700rwhp for which I don't have to touch the long block . You can skip all the unnecessary stuff like aftermarket cams , intake or even changing the internals. If it is not a drag car or a car that will be daily abused , a healthy stock 2jzgte long block had been dynoed to a little over 1000rwhp with the right bolt ins. That is why at 700rwhp , a stock long block will handle it easily all day. . Spend on the necessity only. That is how a 2JZ build get expensive , people buy things that are not necessary for their power goal.

OR buy a car that was swapped already. A friend of mine just sold for $10k a very reliable 2jzgte SC with R154 and all the aftermarket goodies like single turbo, standalone ecu , auto tt lsd diff , etc. and was making around 650rwhp.

Is there a shortage of parts for the 2jz platform ? I really don't think so... Some supra parts yes but not the 2jz powertrain.

Last edited by gerrb; 10-16-17 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 07:24 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You're lumping the Z32 300ZX-TT that you like and might want again (and I'd say go for it btw-- great cars!) in the same category as other pre-OBD2 90's performance platforms that tend to lend themselves to engine swaps and by that reasoning you felt the SC300/400 platform is not what you'd want any longer. Fair enough if you don't want an SC again or an MKIV but you didn't make the 300ZX-TT seem any different in your statement... which is confusing to me since you said you'd prefer getting another one of those and don't seem to mind that Nissan currently doesn't offer every single part for that model at this time either. Not to mention the Z32 was also offered in a short and long wheelbase NA trim level which people also occasionally swap VG30DETT's, RB's another other engines into... which is also confusing considering your statement.
Just to reiterate, the reason I find the 300ZXTT an exception to the list, is because although the 300ZXTT is an early 90's car, it still has a very healthy supply of OEM parts from Nissan. I was shocked at just how many parts are still available from Nissan considering the car was produced up to 99' in Japan. Interior parts still available, trans, diffs, etc... I think the main reason for this is that the "Z-car" has a much bigger cult following than most Japanese sports cars (this is due to their long history from back in the early 70's). I can't say the same thing about the 3000GT, or RX-7, or Supra (although the Supra is up there, Toyota refuses to keep these cars alive).

Sure there are tons of aftermarket parts for the SC and Supra, I should know I purchased a ton of them within the past 2yrs. The concept applies to alot of cars....but, it's like the example of the CD009...if the CD009 is such a great option, why don't more people swap these in and not pursue V160's and R154's? It's because alot of people still want that OEM build list of parts. "People want to save money as the OEM parts are straight bolt-on's"....well, I get it as that makes sense, but to go down that path, you are paying two times even triple the cost of the parts if they were new...only USED!!! So now, a "budget build" using OEM parts has become a money pit...and this is assuming nothing goes bad or breaks because of crazy power.

Grannas makes great alternatives to basically discontinued parts (Transmission swap kits, rear ends, etc...). I know because I just sold my Ford 8.8 IRS with T2R LSD a few days ago that I was planning to put in the SC. However, at the end of the day, it still wasn't what I wanted...I truly wanted a complete OEM 6spd TT diff and V160. I couldn't find them easily and the one's I could find were asking close to triple the cost. Again, for me I cannot justify those costs for used items.

Other than that, my original difference-of-opinion still holds towards other cars not just the SC or Supra.
Old 10-16-17, 07:28 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well if you don't want to play with Toyotas and turbocharged 1JZ or 2JZ motors

I know 300ZX twin turbo has been tossed around, but IMO those are really playing second fiddle to a better Nissan you can now import to the states. Go buy a turbocharged R32 Skyline, import it from Japan. There are several companies that offer this service. A GTS-T, RWD 2.0 liter RB20DET turbo engine is well within your budget, you can get a really minty fresh one for about 10-15k. If you save up another 7-8k you can get an AWD GT-R model, lots more power stock. Still I think the value is in the GTS-T with a few bolt on mods, you can make an easy 300rwhp with the stock turbo.
Yeah, I have tossed the idea around numerous times...but, I am not interested in a RHD car. Great cars those older GTR's, but I prefer a LHD car.
Old 10-16-17, 08:00 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
I am just sticking to the point of having a fast reliable car with the least cost . We all know people like us look at costs, not unless you are one of the lucky rich guys in town , when building a fast car. Otherwise one will probably be at the lamborghini forums and not SC if funds where never an issue. It is definitely expensive to build and maintain a fast car. The question is which is the least expensive assuming you are all at the same power goal. That is the reason of my previous post.

So to give an insight , if I had $15k as the OP said , what turbo car will I get ? Lmaol , I will still get a clean, meaning no rust SC shell at $1k - $2k and get a tested Supra 2jzgte 6speed swap at $10,500 and do a stock swap to start with.
Gerrb, I am definitely not a lucky rich guy in town, however, I am money conscious and am careful how I spend my money. For example, I got my SC300 for very very cheap....turned around and sold it for twice what I paid for it a year ago (yes im guilty of supply and demand as well). The two motors I had in the garage (which I got for free from my buddies wrecking yard) I sold recently as well and profited quite well on them. $15k is what I have strictly based on the "spare" profits of the car and the parts I've sold up to this point....it is not including what I had been putting aside for a top build or "higher-grade" car. Basically sold one low budget build to fund another low budget build. Remember, I was originally looking for a MKIV Supra and was ready to purchase certain examples of them...but again, they weren't up to my standards in terms of condition. If you look back to my original post of when I purchased my SC300, you will see that I even mentioned the SC300 was only purchased because it was the closest thing to a Supra (but not a Supra) and if something happened to it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it because it was purchased for next to nothing.

Why am I in an SC forum when talking GTR's or GTR money?....why not!?! Does it mean I don't have GTR money? Not at all, I just happen to mention the GTR as it has been circling around in my head as of lately. I don't need to be looking at Ferrari's or Lamborghini's just because I can afford one...everyone has different taste in cars, and to me I feel I can justify the cost of a pre-owned R35 GTR because of what it brings to the table (newer gen, top quality, awd, super car performance, etc...). Not to mention a very very understanding post-med fiance that is totally supportive of a potential purchase like that . I listed "cheaper" priced cars in my original post because I felt like those cars can be had "cheaper" and in better shape (as manual turbo cars) and I can invest alot of the "spare funds" in aftermarket parts to make them great performers.

Tokyo motor show is just around the corner....who knows, maybe the new "Supra" might be a solid performer.
Old 10-16-17, 10:08 AM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to go in a build to invest a boat load of money in sourcing used OEM parts that are only marked up because of it's rarity. I would rather buy standard priced OEM parts and spend more money on performance parts. I think that's where the disconnect here is with what I am trying to communicate to everyone...
I'm not going to post a 10 mile long response since this topic has been beaten to death on SF, but simply put the cheapest way to 1000-1500rwhp is the 2jz/V160 combo in the SC if discussing the Supra, GTR, SC options. With regards to the MKIV Supra and R35 GTR it's a bit of a different story these days. 5-7 years ago when a TT 6 speed was a $30k car, you could easily say that. These days the Supra is more of a collectors car with clean TT 6 speed cars being in the $60-80k, thus not so much. The difference between these two is with the GTR, you just pay for the rarity of parts factor up front.
Old 10-16-17, 05:41 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Plenty of JDM cars out there that are now 25 years old and legal to import besides what people have already listed for you:

Toyota: Aristo, Chaser/MarkII/Cresta, Century, turbo diesel Land Cruiser

Nissan: Skyline coupe/sedan (either RWD or AWD options), Laurel, Cefiro, Leopard

Mazda: FD chassis RX-7, Cosmo

This isn't all of them, just what comes to my mind when you say you're looking for a turbo car. Everything listed here tends to fly under the radar of most people. And also is priced around 12-15k.

Edit: I really like the JZX90 MarkII's. They remind me of 4-door Soarers lol
Old 10-16-17, 07:39 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the 15k as down payment on the new "SC", the LC500! LOL.
Old 10-17-17, 10:26 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
Plenty of JDM cars out there that are now 25 years old and legal to import besides what people have already listed for you:

Toyota: Aristo, Chaser/MarkII/Cresta, Century, turbo diesel Land Cruiser

Nissan: Skyline coupe/sedan (either RWD or AWD options), Laurel, Cefiro, Leopard

Mazda: FD chassis RX-7, Cosmo

This isn't all of them, just what comes to my mind when you say you're looking for a turbo car. Everything listed here tends to fly under the radar of most people. And also is priced around 12-15k.

Edit: I really like the JZX90 MarkII's. They remind me of 4-door Soarers lol
Leaning towards a good condition 300ZX to swap either a 2JZ or RB.
Old 10-17-17, 10:27 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Use the 15k as down payment on the new "SC", the LC500! LOL.
Lol! Don't we all wish the new Lexus cars were as good as the old ones. There is like zero aftermarket for the new Lexus cars (by new I mean 2003+).
Old 10-17-17, 08:11 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

^ Ok that isn't true at all. There's a huge Japanese aftermarket for the IS, GS, RC and LS cars.

If you're looking for cheap mods, hell no there isn't LOL!. OBX doesn't make parts for cars where the owners gladly fork over $700 for a titanium intake tube. $2000 for long tube manifolds. $6000 for a bolt on HKS supercharger kit

And there definitely isn't any rep aero for those cars. They're starting with the IS250/350s currently

Quick Reply: Sold The SC....Now What???