SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC400 Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 02:56 PM
KHnTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 Engine swap

I have a feeling I know the answer is yes but I wanted to get confirmation before I spend money and find out I was wrong. I recently picked up a '92 SC400 from an impound auction and found that the head gasket is blown and have oil in the coolant. I have searched and found that later year LS400 engines are able to be used to swap but nothing specific for a '91 LS400 into the '92 SC400. I ask because I have found a local yard with a 91 LS400 selling the engine for $200 (no core needed) and claims it tested good, what their test is I haven't called to verify yet or find out how many miles are on that one, but it is cheaper than the $450 (core needed) another yard was asking for motor pulled from a '93 SC400 with 130k miles.

I have looked at replacing the head gaskets myself but with most people claiming that pulling the engine and trans makes the job easier I would be willing to take the chance on a salvage yard motor to cut down my time, unless someone can sway me to just do the gaskets on a motor that has over 226k miles? Thanks for the input anyone has.
Old 11-21-16, 04:56 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The engine is basically the same from the 91 ls but you will have to change some of the bolt on components from your old engine.swap out your old engine and save it for parts if you have the room. Antifreeze in the oil can damage bearing surfaces very quickly, block and heads could be warped. Since you don't know the history of the car, she could have been run overly hot for a period of time. Flush.your rad also or replace it. Good luck with your Sc and have fun. They're great cars and fun to drive but require proper maintenance.
Old 11-21-16, 05:42 PM
KHnTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
The engine is basically the same from the 91 ls but you will have to change some of the bolt on components from your old engine.swap out your old engine and save it for parts if you have the room. Antifreeze in the oil can damage bearing surfaces very quickly, block and heads could be warped. Since you don't know the history of the car, she could have been run overly hot for a period of time. Flush.your rad also or replace it. Good luck with your Sc and have fun. They're great cars and fun to drive but require proper maintenance.

That is what I thought and thanks for the input. Just want to point out that it is oil in the coolant system, I haven't pulled the pan but the oil on the dipstick is very clean even after running the car and discovering the suspected blown head gasket.