SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

One Thing I Noticed About ClubLexus or Lexus Forum In General.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 06:20 AM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 This site has tons of useful info and very very helpful members and moderators...
Old 04-19-16, 01:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm glad this forum is still as active as it's always been. The facebook groups are nice as you can find lots of for sale items and IG is awesome for pics.
Old 04-22-16, 03:58 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,222 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I'm glad this forum is still as active as it's always been. The facebook groups are nice as you can find lots of for sale items and IG is awesome for pics.
I still can't get used to the phenomenon of people making Facebook, of all places, a "forum" location the way normal internet forums with their own web addresses are used. So strange to me why that is a thing. Even some businesses have their main contact pages only on Facebook. It's extremely weird but I've seen the Internet change decade after decade so it shouldn't be surprising I guess.

That's not a knock on many great people on these groups. Just the phenomenon in general of using social media in that way.

This forum is a kind of social media... in a sense... but it's more accurately classified a "forum" with it's own mission purpose. Actually if you think about it whether we're on a traditional internet forum like this or a social-media based type group not much has changed essential in how we use these things to converse back and forth over the years.

If anyone remembers the UseNet days (I was a nerdy kid back then) it's still nearly the same. It's just a format shift or two. Or five. Or ten.

I don't think any semblance of UseNet or 90's-era Newgroups even exist any longer.

Originally Posted by gerrb
Hopefully one day our forum will have all the technical info everyone needs to know as more and more people now are working on the performance aspect of their SCs . I hope it continues. I know some are more concerned on the looks. Nothing wrong with that too.

yeap ... we have quite a number of membership.
I hope so too. That and restorations and restomodding. But I think everyone with an SC does at least some degree of restoration these days. It's unavoidable

Knowing you to be a no nonsense person and even by just reading your posts , one can tell you know what you are talking about , still got negative responses is a testament that some people there can be unforgiving. It is not a place for sissies who cry when they are corrected or who cannot accept to be wrong. They will bury you six feet under the ground.
Gerry, thank you. That's a very high compliment coming from you. I think I may know just a smidgen about what I'm talking about... maybe. But that's not close to the whole you, Ali and others here do. I'm still always learning.

On SF and also here I feel it's best to just present the facts or at least the most logical theories and questions.

This guy here was and will always be a very good resource of knowledge for those who do not know or are new to this forum especially our SC section.
^^ Referring to Ali SC3, Yes. Moderator role or not, Ali is a great person for being here and sharing his knowledge with members. Like you, Ali has helped and educated me many, many times since I joined this forum.

One thing I suggest though for those who have been individually sending PMs to ask technical questions , not that I mind , I would rather like you to post your questions on a thread... start one...
don't be afraid . That same question will help other people and a lot of other people with same experience can get into the thread and share their experience.
^^ I agree with this. Sometimes we don't realize when specific scenarios and questions might eventually lead to unique (or obvious but heretofore not posted) solutions to general vehicle issues, modifications and or alternative ideas.

I also like it when the community can weigh in. I will say that in addition to my first rookie question posts I did a lot of reading and learning from the posts and threads others had made before me. I didn't always find an answer but many times I did or I found a good direction to take in pursuit of my answer or solution.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-22-16 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 06:08 AM
javaswing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I still can't get used to the phenomenon of people making Facebook, of all places, a "forum" location the way normal internet forums with their own web addresses are used. So strange to me why that is a thing. Even some businesses have their main contact pages only on Facebook. It's extremely weird but I've seen the Internet change decade after decade so it shouldn't be surprising I guess.

That's not a knock on many great people on these groups. Just the phenomenon in general of using social media in that way.

This forum is a kind of social media... in a sense... but it's more accurately classified a "forum" with it's own mission purpose. Actually if you think about it whether we're on a traditional internet forum like this or a social-media based type group not much has changed essential in how we use these things to converse back and forth over the years.

If anyone remembers the UseNet days (I was a nerdy kid back then) it's still nearly the same. It's just a format shift or two. Or five. Or ten.

I don't think any semblance of UseNet or 90's-era Newgroups even exist any longer.

I hope so too. That and restorations and restomodding. But I think everyone with an SC does at least some degree of restoration these days. It's unavoidable

Gerry, thank you. That's a very high compliment coming from you. I think I may know just a smidgen about what I'm talking about... maybe. But that's not close to the whole you, Ali and others here do. I'm still always learning.

On SF and also here I feel it's best to just present the facts or at least the most logical theories and questions.

^^ Referring to Ali SC3, Yes. Moderator role or not, Ali is a great person for being here and sharing his knowledge with members. Like you, Ali has helped and educated me many, many times since I joined this forum.

^^ I agree with this. Sometimes we don't realize when specific scenarios and questions might eventually lead to unique (or obvious but heretofore not posted) solutions to general vehicle issues, modifications and or alternative ideas.

I also like it when the community can weigh in. I will say that in addition to my first rookie question posts I did a lot of reading and learning from the posts and threads others had made before me. I didn't always find an answer but many times I did or I found a good direction to take in pursuit of my answer or solution.
Very well said, i started on an comidor pet system nothing but dos. so usernet came after. another geek here.
Old 04-22-16, 06:31 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

dang ... you guys are making me old . At the time I was taking my Masters in Com Sci , all we had were the BBS and 2.4k modems and the WWW was just about to start ... early 90s . Now it has taken the life of most. Many now can live without a TV but not the Internet....that's me

Am glad I see more and more improving their cars for the better... if not functionally at least in looks.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-22-16 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 06:37 AM
javaswing
Driver School Candidate

dang ... you guys are making me old . At the time I was taking my Masters in Com Sci , all we had were the BBS and 2.4k modems and the WWW was just about to start ... early 90s . Now it has taken the life of most. Many now can live without a TV but not the Internet....that's me

Am glad I see more and more improving their cars for the better... if not functionally at least in looks.
lol old 1963 btw i was one the guys that programmed the bbs system.
Old 04-22-16, 06:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by javaswing
lol old 1963 btw i was one the guys that programmed the bbs system.
hahaha....spent a lot of time waiting for damn modem to connect and specially download something...takes days...lol. At times I regret having retired two years ago when I was 50. But that was my goal in life.... kids are grown up... time for me to play. But it is boring at times. I miss the corporate life after 30 years in the IT field. Maybe I need to go back to work. I am tired of watching the 7 Fast and Furious over and over ...lmaol.

Well Clublexus makes me busy many times.
Old 04-22-16, 06:54 AM
javaswing
Driver School Candidate

hahaha....spent a lot of time waiting for damn modem to connect and specially download something...takes days...lol. At times I regret having retired two years ago when I was 50. But that was my goal in life.... kids are grown up... time for me to play. But it is boring at times. I miss the corporate life after 30 years in the IT field. Maybe I need to go back to work. I am tired of watching the 7 Fast and Furious over and over ...lmaol.

Well Clublexus makes me busy many times.
do what i do contract work so you not tied in to the "job"
Old 04-22-16, 09:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by javaswing
do what i do contract work so you not tied in to the "job"
It will be tough for me to do contractual jobs with the Executive Position I had in the company. If I was a mere programmer , then yes, contracting on the side is easy. But been on the highest position of the IT Field for 20 years so going back into systems development where I started will be tough .

For now I love having no pressures ... sleeping and waking up at the time I want . Doing whatever I want any time and any day of the week the whole year . And when I am just at home , my toys keep me busy .

I guess I am just starting to get accustomed to being retired but as many of my colleagues say, I was too young to retire. But I always say ... "life is too short .. I want to do more things and go more places while I can especially now that all my kids are grown up and have their own lives."

And with so much time in my hands , I get to spend more time on the net like this great forum, learning about things that are not in the field of my educations and where I made my living.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-22-16 at 09:40 AM.