SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 04:26 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Eldon - you just left it without heating it up ? How long did it take before it got back to its original shape ? Thinking of waiting for the whole kit before installing them.
I just took it out of the box and sat it down on the kitchen floor, it folded out to shape in 3 to 4 hours at 75 degrees room temp.My wife woke up and found my bumper on the kitchen floor and she was like WHAT THE@#!!!**??? lol. I made her some breakfast and she was like I LOVE YOU HONEY
I am thinking of getting the rear and sides in poly too but the Shine ones are still in great condition and already painted.
I you are not going to install them for a while I suggest you let sit in it formed shape if you have the room.
Old 01-23-16, 06:46 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 379 Likes on 257 Posts

Here is mine after being kept in the house with no extra or direct heating.... Acclimates readily on it's own..... Must be made from "good stuff". If the sides and rear are manufactured in a similar manner then those getting the full set should do well.....

Name:  21C17B17-4F26-4B70-9272-D147739C9B7B.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  235.0 KB
Old 01-24-16, 01:59 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some fun teasing mine with the heat gun and watching it expand.
Take that how you will.
Old 01-24-16, 02:10 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
I had some fun teasing mine with the heat gun and watching it expand.
Take that how you will.
Kinky.

I dig it.
Old 01-24-16, 05:50 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Did a test fit. It looks pretty good but one part on the driver side had to be trimmed a little. Still doesn't fit but I don't know how much more I should/can trim. The passenger headlight sticks out a little. Lastly there are some brackets that weren't molded on to support the bottom mounts on the high beam so they don't sit flush. Nice product, sits way lower, and give the car a way more aggressive look, but at this point I don't know if I'm going to stay Oem or sell this. We will see.
Attached Thumbnails FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.-image.jpeg  
Old 01-24-16, 05:51 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

And I don't know why the pic loads upside down when uploading from phone........
Old 01-25-16, 12:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Having just browsed a couple of pictures of your car in some thread of yours , I like the way the front bumper made it look a lot more lowered !

In my opinion, in any body kit especially aftermarket ones, at times a certain degree of customization , modifications or work will be needed for a perfect install. I don't believe in perfectly done body kits. Especially with the kind of materials these kit we are getting are made of , I will honestly close an eye to minor imperfections or some work I need to do to get it installed properly.

I am suppose to receive my two front bumpers this week so still have no idea what mine looks like. The kit is the most appreciated / loved look among body kits for the SC300 / SC400 if I am not mistaken. It is made of poly-urethane. The price we paid for is cheaper than the Shine replica and way cheaper than the original Auto Cuture. In fact that AC kit is more than twice the price of our poly-urethane version for which I almost bought one. The Shine Kit actually I did buy one and sold it to a friend who was interested with it when I found out it was fiberglass. Both would definitely break easily compared to this poly-urethane version. So minor imperfections and minor work to be done to get it right would not sway me away, Even the originals may at times need work. I will live with it. It's a winner no matter how I look at it.

But that's just me .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-25-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 12:55 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1of120
Did a test fit. It looks pretty good but one part on the driver side had to be trimmed a little. Still doesn't fit but I don't know how much more I should/can trim. The passenger headlight sticks out a little. Lastly there are some brackets that weren't molded on to support the bottom mounts on the high beam so they don't sit flush. Nice product, sits way lower, and give the car a way more aggressive look, but at this point I don't know if I'm going to stay Oem or sell this. We will see.
Hi 1of120,

Can you pm me some close ups of the areas you're having issues with?

Gerrb is correct in that the parts will need minor adjustments (heating areas up to get them to line up perfectly, some sanding, etc) to get the perfect fit, but the overall fitment looks to be spot on in your image.
Old 01-25-16, 02:44 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

If I'm correct you can't pm pics. I'd be more than happy to text you some if you pm me your cell if it's different from the one listed.

Originally Posted by APTech
Hi 1of120,

Can you pm me some close ups of the areas you're having issues with?

Gerrb is correct in that the parts will need minor adjustments (heating areas up to get them to line up perfectly, some sanding, etc) to get the perfect fit, but the overall fitment looks to be spot on in your image.
Old 01-25-16, 02:50 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1of120
If I'm correct you can't pm pics. I'd be more than happy to text you some if you pm me your cell if it's different from the one listed.
I'm not sure if its different on mobile, but you can PM images.
Old 01-27-16, 12:59 PM
LexiiBabe
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey there. So installed mine today after a little pulling and tugging everything is installed. Looks good but the only issue is the top gap by the hood. It sits a tad bit higher than the hood giving it an off look
Attached Thumbnails FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.-forumrunner_20160127_125728.png   FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.-forumrunner_20160127_125753.png   FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.-forumrunner_20160127_125844.png   FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.-forumrunner_20160127_125903.png  
Old 01-27-16, 01:09 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LexiiBabe
Hey there. So installed mine today after a little pulling and tugging everything is installed. Looks good but the only issue is the top gap by the hood. It sits a tad bit higher than the hood giving it an off look
Looks like you've almost got it. I would suggest taking a heat gun or blow dryer to that area and heating it up to see if that helps. You can also adjust your hood a bit if you'd like, though i doubt it will come to that. The pictures you posted are kind of hard to tell what's what, but the above tips should help. You can also try removing the bolts from the top center area and pulling the bumper back a bit, it might just need to be bolted slightly tighter.
Old 01-27-16, 01:28 PM
LexiiBabe
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Passenger side also a bit off. Don't have all screws yet. Will post more pics pnce o get the screws from a pick n pull

FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.-forumrunner_20160127_132702.png

FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.-forumrunner_20160127_132756.png
Old 01-27-16, 03:47 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I wish someone would install one correctly with all the hardware done. I'd like to be able to see what "mods" are going to need to be done before I install mine. From what I've seen so far with pics posted that hasn't happened yet. Come on Gerrb, get yours on !!!

Shane
Old 01-27-16, 04:14 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSmith
I wish someone would install one correctly with all the hardware done. I'd like to be able to see what "mods" are going to need to be done before I install mine. From what I've seen so far with pics posted that hasn't happened yet. Come on Gerrb, get yours on !!!

Shane
I agree. pictures of half installed parts kind of make us look bad .

Good news is I SHOULD have pictures of the first installed and painted bumper tomorrow/Friday. The bumper was installed by the shop, so no "mods" list though, sorry .

Quick Reply: FYI, There Is A Polyurethane AC/Shine Bumper Now.