SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buying 1J Swapped 300, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 10:04 PM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Lol do you even automotive bro? The Soarer CAME with the 1J, how is that at all out of place? The 1J serves the SC perfectly. The 2J is in NO way "SO" much better, they are practically identical.

And don't get me started on Legends, I love those cars! The Legend coupes were timeless, amazing cars minus head gasket issues. I had a pretty beat up 91 coupe on OZ Superleggera's, SR5Guy ECU, Type 2 heads with a 3.5 block, 1 of maybe 10 ever made Web cam sets, KSports, 6 speed swap the list goes on.. To this day a production number has never been given to the public of how many 6 speeds were produced. There were over 330,000 Legends made between 91-95, I reeeeally doubt only 3k were 6 speed but who knows?. But anyway, fun cars, too bad they are FWD and had zero aftermarket support.

Since Legend fans are rare, here is my old one before I got the SC, I miss that car.

Thread jack over, as you were...
As far as the 1JZ goes, of course I know the Soarer came with that motor standard, that's not what I am arguing, I am just not a fan of motors below 3 liters, I know it's not a popular position to hold, I get it...like I said, the 1JZ and 2JZ engines are all fine engines, I would simply never take a 1JZ over a 2JZ because of parts availability alone, not to mention the motor will likely have a more rev-happy, top end performance characteristic due to the shorter stroke and lower displacement. Either way, I am not here to argue that, 1JZ swaps have just always puzzled me as the motors are about the same price as the 2JZ-GTE Aristo engines, the benefit to the 2JZ is you can get parts for them in the states and they typically make more power with equal mods due to the larger displacement. No big deal, I get it, you like the 1JZ, with good reason too, it's a good motor.

Nice Legend, yeah, mine was a 1995 Legend LS 6MT black/tan, 3.5 block, Type II cams, valve springs and intake manifold, 5MT flywheel/clutch (hated the stock dual mass flywheel that came with the 6MT's), RDX injector swap, etc.., it was a fun car but FWD was just a stupid, stupid decision on Honda's part IMO.
Old 10-11-15, 11:15 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Originally Posted by scmaluco
Best answer so far far.... Can't go wrong. But 6k sounds a little too much. I wouldn't pay more than 5k for that.. If everything checks out..
I had him at 4k over the phone before I had ever even seen the car. I decided to get another SC400. Thread on the front page.

This car was too clean to pass up and that 1J would have left more questions asked than answered. Thanks for all your help everyone!
Old 10-12-15, 06:02 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuscfour
I had him at 4k over the phone before I had ever even seen the car. I decided to get another SC400. Thread on the front page.

This car was too clean to pass up and that 1J would have left more questions asked than answered. Thanks for all your help everyone!
I personally would never pay over 3 or close to 4K for a stock sc lol but that's me.. and that 1jz would've left more questions unanswered only if you allowed it.. if you don't ask you won't know right. So whatever questions the owner couldnt answered and if you had any doubt take it to a shop.. and do what you gotta do.. but good look with your new sc anyways. .
Old 10-12-15, 07:06 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally would never pay over 3 or close to 4K for a stock sc lol but that's me.. and that 1jz would've left more questions unanswered only if you allowed it.. if you don't ask you won't know right. So whatever questions the owner couldnt answered and if you had any doubt take it to a shop.. and do what you gotta do.. but good look with your new sc anyways. .
If you top out at 3K, you have missed some of the best SC's ever sold and picked from among the worst. Period.

You can get lucky, but that is a fact. It is also dependent on the regional market.

If a person treated a car with love and obsessed over it for life, it very well may not go for 3K.

Outside of that, I agree with you.
Old 10-12-15, 10:20 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by soloist3
As far as the 1JZ goes, of course I know the Soarer came with that motor standard, that's not what I am arguing, I am just not a fan of motors below 3 liters, I know it's not a popular position to hold, I get it...like I said, the 1JZ and 2JZ engines are all fine engines, I would simply never take a 1JZ over a 2JZ because of parts availability alone, not to mention the motor will likely have a more rev-happy, top end performance characteristic due to the shorter stroke and lower displacement. Either way, I am not here to argue that, 1JZ swaps have just always puzzled me as the motors are about the same price as the 2JZ-GTE Aristo engines, the benefit to the 2JZ is you can get parts for them in the states and they typically make more power with equal mods due to the larger displacement. No big deal, I get it, you like the 1JZ, with good reason too, it's a good motor.

Nice Legend, yeah, mine was a 1995 Legend LS 6MT black/tan, 3.5 block, Type II cams, valve springs and intake manifold, 5MT flywheel/clutch (hated the stock dual mass flywheel that came with the 6MT's), RDX injector swap, etc.., it was a fun car but FWD was just a stupid, stupid decision on Honda's part IMO.
Right on, that all makes sense. I'm a huge fan of NA-T if you have a 300 but 1J all the way if you're pulling the 1uz out.
Old 10-12-15, 11:00 AM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Good thing I didn't. Picked mine up for $2005 and it's way cleaner than that 1J. I can drive this thing from here to Canada and back. I'm not familiar with the JZ platform and truthfully I'm glad I didn't go that route so I don't have to relearn everything. Plus I would have missed out on a really nice car.
Old 10-13-15, 10:55 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
If you top out at 3K, you have missed some of the best SC's ever sold and picked from among the worst. Period.

You can get lucky, but that is a fact. It is also dependent on the regional market.

If a person treated a car with love and obsessed over it for life, it very well may not go for 3K.

Outside of that, I agree with you.
True. Lastt year I picked up a 1jz and the car was like sht. Put a lot of money and name parts into to turn around and sell it for dirt cheap, but again I was willing to make a sacrifice to ge the car that I wanted.. 1jzgte. R154 full bulk interior supra seats single turbo 550cc garret turbo under warranty blah blah. 6100 . Too many sht to list. Cheap enough that this kid flew from Seattle to buy it.. He swapped ecu and Dyno at 480hp . Only had papers for the turbo fuel pump and everything else he took my word for it, did a compression test for him for piece of mind and. He's happy as hell lol.
I just can't do stock cars anymore. Even my lifted cummins move lol 1100lbs of torque with a full exhaust H&S tune intake and a few other small mods . My 2jzgte is my daily.