SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

80s kid fun, getting old school

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 12:54 AM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 80s kid fun, getting old school

it was a dark and gloomy friday....err wait, bright and sunny (woo, no more Seattle, CO).
i was bored.
had some cash.
...had to hit up homedepot for work.
felt a burst of the 80s go through my head....and car roof racks.

...i hate em. look stupid on cars, trucks/suvs they are just fine and proper.
but i remember when i was a youngling in the 80s, cars had luggage racks....on the trunk(zomg)!!
so i decided to get back to some roots and built my own removable sc300/400 luggage trunk rack.

this is what i ended up with. finished putting on crossbeams today, but was to dark to take a picture. ill get one of the finished version tomorrow. still need to soften up the edges of pipe, damn sharp heh.

i love fab.

trunk rack...so i can see the sky in my sunroof instead of luggage.

some photos of the finished rack with crossbeams

hey yakima...
suck it =3

Last edited by eight; 05-31-15 at 10:29 AM. Reason: more photos
Old 05-31-15, 08:03 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks like a good excuse to go spoiler-less (I prefer trunk or window spoiler, not both), use the bolt holes as permanent mounting points for the rear edge of the rack, and either build the LED center brake light into it or go with just the one on the parcel shelf! (BTW, why do you have both 3rd, and uh, 4th brake lights? Did you add the spoiler?)
Old 05-31-15, 10:40 AM
eight
Driver

Originally Posted by t2d2
Looks like a good excuse to go spoiler-less (I prefer trunk or window spoiler, not both), use the bolt holes as permanent mounting points for the rear edge of the rack, and either build the LED center brake light into it or go with just the one on the parcel shelf! (BTW, why do you have both 3rd, and uh, 4th brake lights? Did you add the spoiler?)
next ill be looking for a cheap truck lid, use one of em for a permanent rack. i like the double spoiler look, reminds me of the bmw z3 coupe that i saw long ago. would be a neat idea to add a light to the shelf, ill add it to the next round. i added the spoiler a few months ago, would like to add a really big brake light to the rear of the car...i don't think people can see black at noon...or in daylight. but i have a feeling ill keep 4 brake lights, it's different.
Old 06-01-15, 06:02 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  rmdSxh.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  8.8 KB
Old 06-01-15, 09:19 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
^^ LOL.

eight, I remember this as well. Few of the cars that had trunk racks looked that great. Often front-drive Cadillacs of the era. Still, that's a cool solution you've found. I should have tried that when I went cross country, honestly. Yakima racks still get my vote but all of these solutions create a lot of drag. I'd only use a rack for trips and remove them the rest of the time.
Old 06-01-15, 08:33 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 378 Likes on 256 Posts

One good aspect is it can be removed....
Old 06-02-15, 02:15 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it. Very nice!
Old 06-02-15, 02:51 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Noooooo you were on such a good track, please don't mount it permanently. Those don't look good on any car, never have, never will...
Old 06-02-15, 03:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Noooooo you were on such a good track, please don't mount it permanently. Those don't look good on any car, never have, never will...
They looked good on old British sports cars and that's it . . . . .

If you're talking about 80's cars, it was always the 2nd wave of FWD fail boxes from GM that had them. I don't really remember any other make back then with that ugly gimmick.
Old 06-02-15, 03:30 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Paint it black so it doesnt stand out as much...
Old 06-02-15, 04:04 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

If you're talking about 80's cars, it was always the 2nd wave of FWD fail boxes from GM that had them. I don't really remember any other make back then with that ugly gimmick.
Exactly my thoughts on both counts. It's an old school roadster thing. The 80s examples were mostly Eurosport type cars with so little character, the trunk rack was actually the most attractive feature.
Old 06-02-15, 04:29 PM
eight
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ LOL.

eight, I remember this as well. Few of the cars that had trunk racks looked that great. Often front-drive Cadillacs of the era. Still, that's a cool solution you've found. I should have tried that when I went cross country, honestly. Yakima racks still get my vote but all of these solutions create a lot of drag. I'd only use a rack for trips and remove them the rest of the time.
i remember somebody back when who first tried the yakima racks on an sc, it didnt look to bad but obstructed the view of the sun/moonroof. so i figured this would be the best way to add space without getting in my view (PO put in some massive tint on the rear window so i can never see a thing directly behind me).

Originally Posted by ashtray
I love it. Very nice!
thanks! i enjoy my random boredom heh.

Originally Posted by Kris9884
only gonna mount it if i find a spare lid. then ill have a road trip lid and in-town lid, but that's later down the road. ill have to remake the whole thing with better cuts and bends, it would also be mounted lower.

Originally Posted by Aron9000

to be honest...i have no idea, i just remember seeing them more back when i was a kid...maybe on older cars, or these here fwd fails(ick) you speak of. it is more of a uk thing though.

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Paint it black so it doesnt stand out as much...
tis a thought, it does have an annoying shine...and it needs black boots...couldn't find any.
Old 07-06-15, 12:27 AM
Matromony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang bro. Youre talented. Should fab n sell these. Makes me think of a miata, since they have to have them on the trunk
Old 07-06-15, 11:23 PM
eight
Driver

Originally Posted by Matromony
dang bro. Youre talented. Should fab n sell these. Makes me think of a miata, since they have to have them on the trunk
Thanks!

Most people I think won't understand the use for it. It's niche for those short times when the roads aren't snowed over but ya wanna bust out the skies/board. Or that crappy time when it's crappy to camp, but still day camp in the mountains while most 4x4 routes are closed off. Just adds enough space for a family of 3 and let's me enjoy the car.
Old 07-07-15, 10:11 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm all for functional improvements, but this is like looking at a nice single family home with a 10'ft antenna on the roof.

Quick Reply: 80s kid fun, getting old school