SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$3,000 USD to swap a motor!?!? In TX??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 11:32 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@CatManD3W Thank you. Once I buy the motor I might ask for the photobucket hookup.
Old 06-09-15, 11:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

op - if you are using stock aristo twins... just get the 3" RMM 2jzgte down/midpipe for $100 , change the top flange so you can bolt it to the aristo twins and your current exhaust will just need minor mods to connect it at the end of that RMM down/midpipe.
Old 06-09-15, 12:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah the gte downpipes for twins normally replace our midpipes and should bolt to a sc300 or sc400 catback no problem.

If your previous exhaust you made replaced the stock midpipe, then you will need to have it worked to connect to the downpipe.

a single turbo gte downpipe would bolt up to our stock midpipe (or an exhaust made to replace midpipe), but not the twin stuff, the twin stuff replaced the midpipe also.
Old 06-13-15, 01:24 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what exactly do you have and what are you looking for? You do realize people charge 500-1000 for the wiring alone, right? So you expect someone to remove the old engine and Trans and replace it with another one, then modify the exhaust to fit. Then build a complete intercooler setup, then wire it, then do more wiring to make the a/c work if it's an aristo swap, then make sure everything works, then dispose of all the old fluids and mess, then clean up said mess and deliver it to you for $500?! You should ask a shop what book time for labor is on removing the front bumper alone if it's never been removed, you'll **** your pants. In labor alone you're looking at a bunch of time=$$$
It takes me anywhere from 6-15 hours to do a swap harness depending on the type of vehicle it's going in and the customers needs. A fully functioning auto aristo swap into an sc300 easily takes me towards the higher end of that scale if the donor harness is in ****ty condition.

Is this a Vvti aristo? Non vvti?
Has any of the maintenance been done to the "new" engine? If not you'll pay even more doing it after its all in and running.
Do you live in an emissions county? Your car won't pass inspection if it's registered in an emissions county.
Old 06-13-15, 01:29 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol at call BoostLogic. We turned down almost every toyota that tried to come in the door, the money spent by toyota folks doesn't even come close to what the gtr people spend, we didn't wanna tie our lifts up with **** that doesn't make any real money. The amount of floor/shelving/storage space a swap takes to get done is unreal. And you're not even willing to spend 3k which BL makes doing a bpu gtr in 6-8 hours wrench time. If you're not doing it yourself, pony up or find a new avenue, or find someone to do the swap for what you think is reasonable, then prepare for the problems that come with it.
Old 06-13-15, 03:39 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

FWIW, I thought from the original post that we were talking about a same-engine swap, not a conversion to GTE.
Old 06-13-15, 07:02 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
FWIW, I thought from the original post that we were talking about a same-engine swap, not a conversion to GTE.
What........ he clearly stated to do a "2jzgte" engine swap into a 97 SC300

Last edited by CatManD3W; 06-13-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-13-15, 07:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
What he clearly stated to do a "2jzgte" engine swap into a 97 SC300
I have no idea where you're reading that. It's not in the first post or the subject, and I was the first to respond, so anything that comes later doesn't count.
Old 06-13-15, 07:16 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Exactly! There is no way he misunderstood me. I clearly said, "I have a 2jzgte motor with wiring harness and ecu, how much would you charge to swap it into a 1997 lexus sc300..." and then so on.

I was expecting 500-1000 MAX.

edit: I just called back to double check. He now dropped it to "right around the 2k mark." He says the reason it is so much is because they have to do modifications to the exhaust and the harness which I suppose takes a long time. But still...2k. Sheesh. I'd rather have a wrenching party with people who like beer and food.

Here it is....

And why would he swap the same engine back in....
Old 06-13-15, 07:41 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Here it is....

And why would he swap the same engine back in....
Sigh... That's post #3. "It's not in the first post or the subject, and I was the first to respond, so anything that comes later doesn't count." In your rush to judge, you aren't reading very carefully.

Why would I assume he's swapping the same engine back in? Has no one ever blown an engine or bought a non-running car and swapped in the same model engine?
Old 06-15-15, 12:46 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its in the first post because a stock motor does not need any modifications and would not result in 3k, but a swap does and the most common usage of swap is a different motor otherwise it would just be a replacement.
Old 06-16-15, 12:12 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I'm messing around with plans and ideas working on different things and there is a shop here in San Antonio, TX that said, and I quote, "Well it would be starting around 3 for the swap" I say "300?" He says "No, starting at 3,000." I did not want to be rude but I said "OMG wow, never mind, thank you, bye."

Is this a reasonable price? It does NOT seem like a reasonable price lol

I've googled but nothing concrete.
What shop was it? There are some shops that do lousy work and only a few who are great in SA and specialize in swaps/custom work.

Exactly! There is no way he misunderstood me. I clearly said, "I have a 2jzgte motor with wiring harness and ecu, how much would you charge to swap it into a 1997 lexus sc300..." and then so on.

I was expecting 500-1000 MAX.

edit: I just called back to double check. He now dropped it to "right around the 2k mark." He says the reason it is so much is because they have to do modifications to the exhaust and the harness which I suppose takes a long time. But still...2k. Sheesh. I'd rather have a wrenching party with people who like beer and food.
Im down...as long as the food is good. Haha
Old 06-16-15, 10:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Sigh... That's post #3. "It's not in the first post or the subject, and I was the first to respond, so anything that comes later doesn't count." In your rush to judge, you aren't reading very carefully.
Granted you are the first to respond, so anything that comes later doesn't count. Great !

BUT Your thought , doesn't necessarily mean IT WAS or OP was talking about same-engine swap.

So I'm messing around with plans and ideas working on different things and there is a shop here in San Antonio, TX that said, and I quote, "Well it would be starting around 3 for the swap" I say "300?" He says "No, starting at 3,000." I did not want to be rude but I said "OMG wow, never mind, thank you, bye."

Is this a reasonable price? It does NOT seem like a reasonable price lol

I've googled but nothing concrete.
No matter how I read the first post over and over , I couldn't find anywhere that specifically says, "OP talking about a same-engine swap " ! So isn't that an assumption on your part too ?
Old 06-16-15, 02:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Granted you are the first to respond, so anything that comes later doesn't count. Great !

BUT Your thought , doesn't necessarily mean IT WAS or OP was talking about same-engine swap.

No matter how I read the first post over and over , I couldn't find anywhere that specifically says, "OP talking about a same-engine swap " ! So isn't that an assumption on your part too ?
WTH happened to the reading comprehension around here lately? All I did was clarify that my initial response about the quoted price being high was based on my not realizing the OP was talking about a GTE swap. Nothing after that counts because I was the first to reply, so how would subsequent posts affect my initial understanding. Is that really so hard to understand?

Thanks, gerrb, for confirming my recent decision to significantly limit, if not eliminate, my participation here. It's pretty awesome when moderators feel the need to make personal attacks based on statements they've fictionalized in their own heads.
Old 06-16-15, 04:22 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ Good Luck !!!!

I really hope you learn how to accept mistakes and being wrong at times . IT IS NOT HARD TO DO ! We are human beings. Nobody is perfect . We all make mistakes. It is not the mistake or wrong that matters most, it is what we do or say after, that matters most. It shows the true color or what kind of person someone really is. Good people change for the best after a terrible mistake but, assh?les continue to be assh?les.

You love to correct and say how wrong people are and point out what they did but when others point out your OBVIOUS mistakes , you simply don't know how to accept it. You always have to be right , huh ?

It is indeed a pity !

Last edited by gerrb; 06-17-15 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: $3,000 USD to swap a motor!?!? In TX??