SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Re-Key used lock cylinders to Dealer/VIN key pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 05:49 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Re-Key used lock cylinders to Dealer/VIN key pattern?

My 400 came with door/trunk locks the dealer / VIN based ignition key won't open (it only starts the car). I have to open doors with remote and trunk from trunk release. I purchased a full set of used lock cylinders with a working key. I don't want to carry two different keys for that car if I don't have to. How much would it cost to have my "replacement" lock cylinders "re-keyed" to my (dealer) ignition key so the dealer key will also open doors and trunk. I like being able to order a key from the dealer cut to VIN that opens everything if I loose the key. If i loose the key with the replacement lock set installed, I have no easy way to replace that key.

PS: The only reason I'm not re-keying the cylinders already on the car is for convenience. I can send the replacement cylinders and a VIN key to whoever can do it without my car sitting on the street without locks for a week. I will just dispose of the locks/cylinders currently on the car that I have no keys for when i get the re-keyed ones back.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 10-06-14 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 07:13 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the exact same question for my lock smith when I bought my 400, I only had one key and it was broken. They broke down all the pricing for re-keying but I will assume every lock smith is different. This guy has a RV that he drives to the car and does all the work on the spot. I went the cheap route and just had a laser cut replacement made for $56, and $40 each for 2 more spares after. The cylinders are a whole new beast apparently. It was looking like around $350 if I wanted all 3 corners and another $180 for 2 FOBS to be bought and programmed to the VIN.. PLUS, these are not Lexus parts, just generic replacements.. Long story short, probably not cheap but depends on what you expected and budgeted for. Good luck man.
Old 10-03-14, 07:57 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thanks Kris!
Old 10-03-14, 08:15 AM
Rayne50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are keys breaking a big problem with the SC?
Old 10-03-14, 08:21 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayne50
Are keys breaking a big problem with the SC?
I wouldn't categorize it as a common problem like LCA bushings or bulbs in the dash but yeah, the plastic "handle" of the key tends to get loose and either allow the key/antenna to fall out or the key can physically snap in half after many years of twisting in the ignition.. I've had 2 break via the plastic in the last 3 years but were the originals so yeah, 22 years on the first and 17 on the other, not a bad run..
Old 10-06-14, 04:01 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

you sure your iginition is VIN based and not the other way around?
Old 10-06-14, 04:53 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally Posted by PseudoK
you sure your iginition is VIN based and not the other way around?
PseudoK,
I'm not sure of any of this actually ;-)
When I say VIN based I mean the key you will receive if you call a dealer and give them your VIN, basically the key code associated with your VIN at the dealer.
My door/trunk locks have been changed at some point to another key code and I do not have that key. I actually never had it so I have always opened everything electronically. My 300 has the proper keys and using them reminded me of how awesome having proper keys to your car is

Thanks

Last edited by Studiogeek; 10-06-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 05:31 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
PseudoK,
I'm not sure of any of this actually ;-)
When I say VIN based I mean the key you will receive if you call a dealer and give them your VIN, basically the key code associated with your VIN at the dealer.
My door/trunk locks have been changed at some point to another key code and I do not have that key. I actually never had it so I have always opened everything electronically. My 300 has the proper keys and using them reminded me of how awesome having proper keys to your car is

Thanks
So you requested a key cut off your vin and that one key only works in the ignition?
Old 10-06-14, 05:48 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

So you requested a key cut off your vin and that one key only works in the ignition?
Well, yes. My car came with a non remote master key but it only fits the ignition. I ordered a remote master key and that also only fit the ignition (as I expected). Neither will open the doors or trunk. The door and trunk locks obviously had been changed for some reason, but the previous owner must have lost that key. Since I purchased the car, I have never been able to open the doors or trunk with a key. I purchased the used locks with the intention of installing them and carrying both keys so I could open the doors and trunk with that key if one of the electronic methods should fail. I read that it is possible to re-key cylinders to a particular key, or key code so now what I would like to do is have the spare cylinders re-keyed to my ignition, dealer (VIN) key code and install them allowing me to start the car or open the doors and trunk with my original key code based key originally assigned to my vehicle.

Sorry, I may be making it sound more complicated than it is.
Old 10-06-14, 07:22 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Well, yes. My car came with a non remote master key but it only fits the ignition. I ordered a remote master key and that also only fit the ignition (as I expected). Neither will open the doors or trunk. The door and trunk locks obviously had been changed for some reason, but the previous owner must have lost that key. Since I purchased the car, I have never been able to open the doors or trunk with a key. I purchased the used locks with the intention of installing them and carrying both keys so I could open the doors and trunk with that key if one of the electronic methods should fail. I read that it is possible to re-key cylinders to a particular key, or key code so now what I would like to do is have the spare cylinders re-keyed to my ignition, dealer (VIN) key code and install them allowing me to start the car or open the doors and trunk with my original key code based key originally assigned to my vehicle.

Sorry, I may be making it sound more complicated than it is.
No, I understand completely, I was just saying to make sure that this is the case.

as my Subaru Impreza is the opposite, the VIN key is to the doors and trunk, but the ignition cylinder was swapped out for some reason.

so its really possible to have it re-keyed? I wonder how much (as Subaru quoted me $275 for a new ignition cylinder)
Old 10-07-14, 04:12 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

No, I understand completely, I was just saying to make sure that this is the case.

as my Subaru Impreza is the opposite, the VIN key is to the doors and trunk, but the ignition cylinder was swapped out for some reason.

so its really possible to have it re-keyed? I wonder how much (as Subaru quoted me $275 for a new ignition cylinder)
Ill report back when I find out!
Old 10-09-14, 09:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think you just need to take the door and trunk ones to a legit locksmith and give them one of the original vin keys (the one that works on the ignition) and have them rekey just the outside ones to the right key, and then you will be back to stock more or less. probably pricey but I would spring for it I know that would annoy the heck out of me, I have walked away from several cars when noticing there were mutliple keys.

one time a seller tried to start a conversation while he opened the door and put the key in the car for me, and only later did I realize he used 2 different keys without me noiticing and then tried to play it off like it wasn't a big deal when I asked. to me its a big deal cause really they should have done what you are trying to do now in the first place I can't stand wrong keys either. Like if the remote part stops working, you won't be able to get into the car without the other key meaning you have to carry 2 keys .
Old 10-09-14, 11:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

EXACTLY! I'm looking for the right locksmith today or tomorrow!
Old 10-09-14, 12:55 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

let us know the details if you figure it out.

also on getting new keys, it seems like the Lexus dealer figured out people were getting the online blanks and having them cut at the dealer, so they started offering the basic key at a very reasonable price, well at least around here it was the same going to them as ordering the blank and having them cut it, just swap over your old electronics. if you don't have the electronics well that gets pricey. I have broken every key my rx300 came with a little tired of it happening lol... the SC keys hold up a little better.
Old 10-09-14, 07:43 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

if you dont have the old electronics and a sub 95 car then it gets expensive.