SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1999 SC400 Remote Entry stopped working - Could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 12:10 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts
Default 1999 SC400 Remote Entry stopped working - Could use some help

About 6 months ago i started having issues where my car was inconsistent with lock/unlock/trunk/panic functionality. The functions worked sometimes but not all the time and it progressively got worse to the point where now it doesn't work at all. Since I will be recapping my ECU sometime soon, i went ahead and ordered the 2 capacitors that are on the remote entry module on a hunch that it might be the cause. I replaced the caps but that didn't seem to make any difference. I'm pretty sure the problem is either with the receiver or the keyfob itself, with the receiver being more likely. The keyfob is unlikely because I can still see the red light come on when i press a button and I have replaced the battery with a brand new one just to be sure that wasn't the cause. The receivers themselves aren't expensive. I've seen them on ebay for under $40 but before I order anything i need to know a couple of things. If you guys would be willing to give me some answers, i would greatly appreciate it. (when i say receiver, im talking about the module in the rear passenger side cover)

1. Is there anything outside of the keyfob and receiver that could be causing the issues i described?
2. If i was to order a new receiver, would it have to come with its own remote module as well?
3. If it does not come with its own receiver, could i program mine to work with the new unit?
4. Is there anything else inside the receiver that might need to be replaced in order to get it working? Are there any other troubleshooting steps i need to take?

There is extremely limited information about the remote entry on our cars so I just wanted to get some info about it.
Also while i would absolutely prefer to get it working via OEM. I am not too opposed to an aftermarket solution as long as its not extremely tacky and outrageously expensive.
Old 12-16-21, 09:55 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Is your 99 key different than your 95 key was? I'm looking to get remote entry setup in my 92
Old 12-16-21, 10:17 PM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by ninetwo
Is your 99 key different than your 95 key was? I'm looking to get remote entry setup in my 92
yes, the 95 was the smaller key with a single button on the side for lock/unlock. The 99 is the 3 button layout for lock/panic , unlock and trunk and also has an immobilizer chip inside the key.
Old 12-16-21, 10:23 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ogramming.html
Old 12-16-21, 10:25 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

I wont be able to help with your issue, this guy went with something called an eternity key which looks pretty interesting if you end up looking elsewhere for a key
Old 12-16-21, 10:46 PM
- V -
Instructor

I wont be able to help with your issue, this guy went with something called an eternity key which looks pretty interesting if you end up looking elsewhere for a key
Oh yeah I've gone through that thread like 7 times at this point lol. Eternity key is just a key housing that's a bit more robust than the OEM housing. I've tried following the steps to get the car to enter programming mode but I've had no luck
Old 12-16-21, 10:49 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by - V -
Oh yeah I've gone through that thread like 7 times at this point lol. Eternity key is just a key housing that's a bit more robust than the OEM housing. I've tried following the steps to get the car to enter programming mode but I've had no luck
:| you in any SC facebook groups? Try asking there too man
hope you get it figured out
Old 12-16-21, 10:59 PM
- V -
Instructor

:| you in any SC facebook groups? Try asking there too man
hope you get it figured out
I don't have facebook :/, thanks for the advice though. I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it eventually. Its just a matter of figuring out what part of the system is messed up and replace it. I just want a confirmation from someone who is a bit more familiar with the system that the problem is in either the receiver of keyfob because I don't want to replace all of that stuff and then find out the issue was something in the ECU or some other module somewhere
Old 12-17-21, 09:20 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Two long-shot thoughts, but throwing them out there just as something to consider, in case it leads you to an "aha!" moment:

1) '99 has an immobilizer, as well. As I recall, mine ('98) was secured to the back of the dash, above the HVAC unit. It doesn't seem like that would be contributing your symptoms, but it's the only other thing I can think of that is related.

2) For a while, I was having parasitic battery drain issues in conjunction with the keyless unlock not chirping, the door locks cycling themselves, and the dome light not staying on (after door close, until key in). I found nothing wrong, and in the process of trying a different battery, fully charging it on the bench several times, and checking for wiring issues, it seemed to solve itself. So, I have no real insight there, other than something in the power system seemed to be affecting the lock system.

I did have the dome light thing happen again once recently and feared it would start becoming more and more frequent, but it was an isolated incident. It seemed to be right on the heels of doing something in the headlight switch out of my normal routine, but I don't recall exactly what. I usually manually operate them during the day and leave them in auto mode at night, and I think I switched them in and out of auto mode during the day right before shutting down, or something like that. So, there could be some interconnection there to look into.
Old 12-18-21, 02:37 PM
- V -
Instructor

I don't imagine the immobilizer is the cause since i can still drive the car unless it can fail in a way that still lets me start and drive the car but the remote entry system stops working.......
I know i don't have a battery drain, thats for sure because my last battery lasted 3.5 years, which is actually longer than any other battery i've ever had. They usually **** the bed 2.5 years in the florida heat. Based on what all the limited info I've found regarding the receiver in the car, It seems like thats gotta be the culprit. I'm gonna see if anyone else has any insight into the situation over the weekend and then if not, probably order the replacement. I still need to figure out how to get the damn car into programming mode though. Nothing i've tried works so far.

Last edited by - V -; 12-19-21 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-23-21, 02:19 PM
- V -
Instructor

For anyone curious, the issue was in fact the receiver. I got a replacement today and was finally able to get into programming mode and program my remote to work with the new module!
The following 2 users liked this post by - V -:
1997Soarer (12-29-21), scsexy (12-23-21)
Old 01-22-22, 07:37 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, ill have to look into that as well. My remote unlock for the trunk makes the sound, but doesn't unlock the trunk.