HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 12:01 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question HID Headlights

I've got a 99SC400 Is it possible to replace the halogen headlights
with HID headlights. Was this ever an option on the SC's?

If it is possible what kind of money am I looking at?

Thanks
3dog
Ivan
Old 09-10-13, 12:46 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes we are able to install HID's in our vehicles bulb size is 9006 which is great because 9006 bulbs compared to my H11's on my scion xb are much brighter. For the price it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Plug and play kits start off at $40+ but if you want some OEM type HID's thatll run around 200+

Check out theretrofitsource, DDM tuning, HIDextra, MOD-express, they sell HID's.

If you want a cheap OEM looking HID kit, buy some ballasts from one of the cheaper vendors and go pick up a set of bulbs from the retrofitsource. Thats what i plan on doing after i get out of this financial slump im stuck in because of college, lol

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 09-10-13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 04:42 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
yes we are able to install HID's in our vehicles bulb size is 9006 which is great because 9006 bulbs compared to my H11's on my scion xb are much brighter. For the price it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Plug and play kits start off at $40+ but if you want some OEM type HID's thatll run around 200+

Check out theretrofitsource, DDM tuning, HIDextra, MOD-express, they sell HID's.

If you want a cheap OEM looking HID kit, buy some ballasts from one of the cheaper vendors and go pick up a set of bulbs from the retrofitsource. Thats what i plan on doing after i get out of this financial slump im stuck in because of college, lol
Wow thank for the reply.
I've got a 99GS and HID's on it are like $1200.
Are the ones you're talking about Original Equipment?
That really sounds cheap
Old 09-10-13, 04:58 PM
BSanders22
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running the DDM Tuning HIDs in my SC, 6000K low beams and 3000K fog lights, both 35watt kits. They've been on my car for 2 years with no issues. They were about $80 shipped if I can remember...
Old 09-10-13, 05:11 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

yeah Denso Ballasts with 9006 Philips 85122+ D2S (4300K/35w) bulbs are 265 plus shipping. It's what Toyota uses for their HID's

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 09-10-13 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 06:08 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

No SC's or Soarers ever had a factory HID option but the projector lamps will take to it easily. I bought a Phillips 4200K "plug and play" HID kit a couple of years ago. Second best modification I did to my car after the brakes. This kit plugged in with its own premade harness and had all necessary resistor hardware, etc.

This was about $250 plus shipping for me.

Important: You want a SINGLE-BEAM HID system because your high-beams are housed in separate enclosures. You don't want a "Bi-Xenon" HID system.

The BEST option is retrofitting which requires some in depth work but plug and play works very well if you don't want to go to the trouble.
Old 09-10-13, 06:37 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Kahn, what color are your bulbs? like OEM white?
Old 09-11-13, 02:58 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
Kahn, what color are your bulbs? like OEM white?
Not sure what your mean by 'colour' or 'OEM white', but as far as I know bulb 'colour' is measured by temperature in Kelvin, and most OEM HID cars run 4300K. Anything higher will give you a blue tint (~7000K), and even higher will give you purple (12000K).

Here's the first link on Google: http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...mperature.html

OP do some research before you dive into your lighting options, theres a few options available for you.
The whole purpose of a HID lighting system is (contrary to popular belief - not the 'cool' factor) but a functional system to create less strain/fatigue on your eyes while driving at night, as a proper HID system creates a more natural (similar to the sun) lighting environment for you to drive in. A proper HID lighting system also entails a proper 'cut-off' as to not blind oncoming traffic as the cheap HID systems do (which give tuners and people who like to mods their rides a bad rap). As Khan mentioned, ideally a retro-fit is the best option for changing a non HID headlight system into HID. However knowing that not everyone is capable or has the skills to complete such a retro-fit, there are other proper options available.

Last edited by scENFORCER; 09-11-13 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 04:58 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BSanders22
I'm running the DDM Tuning HIDs in my SC, 6000K low beams and 3000K fog lights, both 35watt kits. They've been on my car for 2 years with no issues. They were about $80 shipped if I can remember...
Good god, I love your car! I say use 55 watt hid, more true and a lot brighter!
Old 09-11-13, 07:01 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Not sure what your mean by 'colour' or 'OEM white', but as far as I know bulb 'colour' is measured by temperature in Kelvin, and most OEM HID cars run 4300K. Anything higher will give you a blue tint (~7000K), and even higher will give you purple (12000K).

Here's the first link on Google: http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...mperature.html
I'm asking for the actual color and how they look, not all HID bulbs are the same, i can have a 5k thats pure white like an OEM 4300K and an HID thats 5k as blue as an 8k system, I know OEM temps are 4300K, i want to know how his 4200K's look if its still a tad yellow, or pure white. I don't want any blue at all i have had my fair share of HID's and always grabbed 5k because that was the lowest kelvin they had other than 3k which was yellow, and still disliked them.

this time around im ordering my bulbs from theretrofitsource.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 09-11-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 08:12 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The light color of the bulb depends on the actual ballast. There are many YouTube videos of how the ballast makes the world of difference. Also check the lighting section. Many threads on this.. The better the kit, the better and more true of the output, IMO.

I used the same HID bulb, the 6k llooked somewhat blue. When I switched the ballast from a different manufacture and man what a difference.
Old 09-11-13, 08:15 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

I have liked my friends DDM's 5k, I do believe their are a tad higher up when it comes to budget HID's, so im going to try their 4500k soon, right now their kits are 29.95 + shipping, for me it would have been 43 to my door. Ill probably be ordering next paycheck.
Old 09-11-13, 09:47 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile HID system

OP do some research before you dive into your lighting options, theres a few options available for you.
The whole purpose of a HID lighting system is (contrary to popular belief - not the 'cool' factor) but a functional system to create less strain/fatigue on your eyes while driving at night, as a proper HID system creates a more natural (similar to the sun) lighting environment for you to drive in. A proper HID lighting system also entails a proper 'cut-off' as to not blind oncoming traffic as the cheap HID systems do (which give tuners and people who like to mods their rides a bad rap). As Khan mentioned, ideally a retro-fit is the best option for changing a non HID headlight system into HID. However knowing that not everyone is capable or has the skills to complete such a retro-fit, there are other proper options available.
Thanks for your input.
I really like your point about the proper "cut-off"! My GS has self-leveling headlights.
What exactly is a retro-fit?
I know a lot more than I did when I started this thread.

I'm one of those without the skills and capability to install these things.
What other options are there?

I was just planning on having my mechanic do the install.
Old 09-11-13, 09:48 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile HID system

Thanks for your input.
I really like your point about the proper "cut-off"! My GS has self-leveling headlights.
What exactly is a retro-fit?
I know a lot more than I did when I started this thread.

I'm one of those without the skills and capability to install these things.
What other options are there?

I was just planning on having my mechanic do the install.

Thanks
Ivan
3dog
Old 09-11-13, 10:12 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Phillips plug and play kit

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
No SC's or Soarers ever had a factory HID option but the projector lamps will take to it easily. I bought a Phillips 4200K "plug and play" HID kit a couple of years ago. Second best modification I did to my car after the brakes. This kit plugged in with its own premade harness and had all necessary resistor hardware, etc.

This was about $250 plus shipping for me.

Important: You want a SINGLE-BEAM HID system because your high-beams are housed in separate enclosures. You don't want a "Bi-Xenon" HID system.

The BEST option is retrofitting which requires some in depth work but plug and play works very well if you don't want to go to the trouble.
Hey this kit sounds interesting.
Can you link me to where you got it?

Also can you explain what would be involved with retrofitting.

Thanks
Ivan
3dog

Quick Reply: HID Headlights