SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What would you value this car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 05:24 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2000 is a whole different car. Get it or at least a lower mileage on if you can find one! I've owned a 1993 SC 300 and a month ago purchased a 2000 SC 300 and I gotta say its totally different. I don't miss the 93 much at all to be honest. I feel like every day or two I find some new feature or button or style change the 1993 model is lacking and it always puts a smile on my face. The 2000 is MUCH more of a head turner IMO. (If cars are stock of course...)
Old 07-08-13, 03:04 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I dont know why people say the 2000 is the most sought after year. I would say the 1992, being the first year and if found to be in great shape and low mileage, that would be my choice.

If your 1992 is unreliable then fix it. Why go in debt for another SC or pay cash, and put that money in the current one you have. This way you know where you are with the maintenace, etc. if you buy this one, you have to start over and the seller could tell you you anything to sell the car. Having 200K for a 2000 is really high in my book, but that is my opinion. I say walk away. Do what you want, its your money and you will have to do maintenace on 2 cars now, plus, gas, oil changes, insurance, etc.
Couldnt have said it any better!
Old 07-13-13, 03:48 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today was a very long day guys. I just got home from NJ after checking out the car, and it was a major let down. Aside from the known problems(Control Arms, Struts, Engine/Trans Mounts, Cats, Brakes etc...), the transmission on the car is also shot. So after 60 emails, and nearly 30 minutes on the phone with the guy, the transmission that I was assured was 100% is in fact on it's way out.. I brought my brother with me who's been working on cars for 12 years, and he said he didn't think the thing would make it home(140 Miles).

Once he realized we weren't retarded buyers, he didn't want much to do with us. He was cool on the phone but in person he was a deek head. Honestly it looks like he's just looking to rip someone off and uses the rarity factor when it comes to the value. On top of that he got the car at an auction...honestly don't think he paid even $2000 for it, and when I asked he said "It doesn't matter".... In person he wasn't budging on the price and $3500 for a car that needs probably at least $4000 worth of work is too much. Even then the 200K VVTI has no pep at all, my 92 would smoke it. Seriously my moms Elantra is faster.

I am sad, the interior was nice on the car, and it was very comfortable. Black interior really is beautiful, it's the first SC I've seen in person with black interior, the perforated seats were extremely nice coming from my 92's ripped crapola. The exterior was pretty clean too, but it needed a new front bumper and the rear bumper needed to be repainted. One other thing he did was rip out the double din pioneer head unit, so now there's just an empty space with some funky sliced wiring hanging out......

Knowing I wasn't going to buy it at that price he repeatedly assured me someone would pay that much. So I just wanted to put it out there for any other interested buyers. The vin is JT8CH32Y8Y1002979.

After tolls and gas the day cost me about $100, traffic/weather was pretty bad so it took longer then expected. I am sad.. I really thought I would have been able to bring this SC back from the dead, but it's just too much time and money. Well with that said thanks for all the advice, I'm just going to keep working and stacking money until I can buy a decent SC or who knows hop in an IS or GS! Peace!
Old 07-13-13, 04:16 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, what a letdown man. well maybe next time!
Old 07-13-13, 04:19 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$100 bucks is better than paying to fix all that is wrong with it. I say fix the 92. I had a 92 SC4 and when I sold it, it had 250k miles on it and I still would've driven it anywhere, granted I took extra oil along. The oil pan seals were leaking rather badly, but it was still a smooth car. I currently own a 97 SC4 and the main reason I sought it out was black on black and NOT VVT-i. My 260 HP 4-speed auto is more than sufficient. Personally I didn't want all the extra technology and I still get 25 mpg on the hwy, just like my 92 did.