SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Antenna is broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 02:04 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Antenna is broken

What alternatives are there for replacing the antenna mast? Do most people just shave the antenna and go with something else? Do others just replace it with a fixed unit rather than replacing the power antenna mast assembly?
Old 05-17-12, 02:13 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If its just the mast that's broken and not the motor, you can buy the antenna from eBay around $13 shipped. And its very easy to install you can leave your brain at home when you do it, lol!

Seriously though, I've had mine for a little over a year now, and no signs of wear and tear whatsoever.
Old 05-17-12, 02:22 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Here is a link to eBay for those who might be looking as well:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...tenna&_sacat=0
Old 05-18-12, 09:31 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I unpluged mine so it doesnt go up at all... done! Radio still works and all.
Old 05-18-12, 09:43 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you search the forum there is a solid Lexus antenna (GS300?) that fits and looks great. I replaced mine with a universal off eBay offering and was not happy. I reinstalled a factory antenna but my loving son was rocking out as he went through the carwash. Now I have a solid replacement.
Old 05-18-12, 09:53 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Radio reception is a little more of an issue here in West Texas, hence the need for an antenna. Yes, I am one of the few who still like to listen to the radio.

I ordered that antenna mast that KingPhilip recommended from eBay. The seller (laynlow1) sent me an e-mail with a DETAILED description of how to install it. I was pretty impressed.

Here is his email for instructions on the antenna install...

Lexus Specific Install Advice :

Put on a pair of work gloves and an old shirt that are allowed to get greasy

Loosen and remove the outer fender mounting nut.

A flat screwdriver inserted sideways into one of the slots on the mounting nut with steady counterclockwise pressure will break it free (both thumbs, using hands to protect car from slips)

Be Careful not to slip.

Slow and Steady with Gradually increasing counterclockwise pressure.

Once Nut is fully removed :

Have a helper turn your radio on while you stand at the fender and feed the old mast and drive cable out. When its close to all the way out, you will see the nylon drive cable coming up, grab the cable and help it out.

****If it will not come out that way (the last couple inches pull back at the last second)

Step One :

Make Sure Outer Fender Slotted Nut is Removed

Position Helper In Cockpit

You Stand at Fender wearing old Work Shirt and Gloves

Put Key in Ignition Position "OFF"

Have Helper Hold the "AM" and "DSC" (If you do not have the DSC button, this part of the directions does not pertain to you) Radio Buttons in at the same time as turning the Radio on.

Turn Key to Position # 1 While Holding These Buttons In

Radio Display Will Flash "ANT."

Antenna drive cable will come fully out without pulling back at the last second****

Once Mast and Drive Cable are Removed :

Compare the drive cable length on the new mast to the old drive cable.

If the same length, skip this next paragragh.

If your old drive cable is shorter, then it is likely that some of it is
still in the motor. You may be able to see it and fish it out through
the hole in the fender.
You may have to remove the entire motor unit and disassamble the motor
body to remove the broken drive cable piece.Once the motor is free and
clear of debris and the motor is re-mounted :

Feed the new drive cable into the shaft of the antenna as far as it will go without resistance, have your helper turn the radio off, you will feel
the motor grab the cable and it will retract. Replace the Outer Fender
Mounting Nut and you are all done.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Feed the new drive cable into the shaft of the antenna and have your helper turn the radio off, Bounce it around a couple times and you will feel the motor grab the cable (Forcefully) and it will retract. Replace the Outer Fender Mounting Nut and you are all done. (It may take 4-5 Radio On/Offs to get it to seat fully)

If any of your old gear is broken inside the antenna motor, the motor will need to be removed and the broken part of the gear extracted.

(the motor housing is under no tension and there are no springs or anything that will come out)

90% of the time, its the 5-10 minute job.

NO MATTER WHAT : DO NOT EVER CUT THE NEW DRIVE CABLE, IF THIS THOUGHT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO ENTERING YOUR MIND, PLEASE EMAIL ME FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need to "go in" email or call me for additional support.

Thank you for your business!
Old 05-18-12, 09:57 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, my bad, yeah, there's a lot more options out there, like the antenna from MDX, S2K, etc... My option is for people who still enjoy the up and down action of the OEM antenna. Cause I do, honestly, that's why I decided to keep it. And for $13, if it breaks again, not to feel bad about, I'll just buy another one.
Old 05-18-12, 10:27 AM
groverwood
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a replacement antenna from ebay ($13) and did the install. i messed up on the timing and it didn't feed in right so i unplugged the thing so it would be in a permanent position. Problem is, it is not flexible and bends and break in a car wash.

I also recently had an aftermarket stereo installed and I don;t know if the power button would still control the antenna or not.

What I'd really like to do it get rid of it all together and install one of them little nubby jobber things. I bought one a while back and cannot install it without additional remodeling of the mount area,. I've been waiting for months for a DIY to pop up on this forum
Old 05-18-12, 10:45 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go stub antenna. As KingPhilip said, S2000, MDX, etc all work. And they look better in my opinion as well.

My antenna hasnt worked for about a year now. But I have a carPC so its irrelevant. If I could figure out how to make a stub antenna work with my carPC, that would be the way I'm going..
Old 03-17-13, 03:17 PM
Limey55
5th Gear

Many thanks to GamblerZ for posting installation instructions. I bought a replacement OEM antenna and followed the instructons for a successful install. As the instructions state, It's important to compare the length of the old drive cable with the new one. My old one was about a foot shorter, so I took out the motor assembly (easy to do: Just pull out the antenna wire where it joins the mast, pull out the rubber drain hose at the bottom of the assembly, disconnect the white electrifcal connector, remove the single nut holding on the entire assembly, and out it comes). I took apart the motor (black housing, just a few screws) and found the remains of the old drive cable inside. Once it was removed and everything was reassembled the rest of the installation went smoothly. Remember to feed the new drive cable until resistance is met with the radio ON. Then have your helper select radio OFF and the new drive cable will pull inside the motor and retract the antenna. Pretty easy job thanks to the instructions.
Old 03-17-13, 03:27 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad his write up helped you out. I chose to replace the whole assembly. I have a working motor but antenna is broke until the new came in the mail via Aliga. Life of the radio reception is mo better!
Old 03-17-13, 06:09 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

I recently replaced my antenna with an after market job. It's OK but I would really like an MDX antenna but I don;t know the year(s) they used the rubber model that fits so well. Can someone lead me to a link or store I might pick one up. Not really interested in going to a salvage yard and digging one up.
Old 03-17-13, 08:22 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't listen to the radio lol, so I disabled the motor and keep the antenna down
Old 03-18-13, 12:09 AM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

I had mine shaved and personally it looks so much cleaner. The radio still works but i us my ipod instead of the. Radio
Old 04-12-17, 10:49 AM
johnyls400
Driver School Candidate

Default Repair?

Hi guys, Just wanna ask u what should I have to do or which part exactly order if my anthena is going full up but it I take off the key it goes down just half way? Thx 4 help

Quick Reply: Antenna is broken